Thread: Modeler will not open

Angry Modeler will not open

I can’t open modeler, even though layout opens fine. I have windows 7 pro, 64, LW v.11.6.3, it has been working for 4 years without a problem. The start up menu will place the icon shortcut at the screen bottom, but clicking on it does not open the program. It seems to have a ghost trail of it from the start up menu, and opens another icon representing another model Doc, but doesn’t open the doc to full screen. I suspect a Windows 7 problem, not a Lightwave problem- maybe a missing dll file or display app. Can i just re- install the OS. I’m afraid I’d screw up my whole system . As you may know Microsoft will not support Windows 7 after next week. Any thoughts on inserting my CD of the OS and see if this will sort out any missing display files? I’m no tech person, not too sure if this will work .

An OS install or reinstall is usually the very last step in resolution.

There are some basic troubleshooting steps that may help explain the problem:

1) try starting the program directly from C:\program files\newtek\lightwave 11\...

2) try refreshing your configuration files. You can either do this by logging in as a different user to Windows 7, or you can temporarily rename the configuration files for the current Windows user. To rename the configuration files, locate the "11" folder at "C:\Users\[yourname]\.NewTek\LightWave\11..." and rename it to "11-safe". This will cause LW to create a new configuration when it starts. If the program still does not start with the new configuration, you can delete the new configuration files and restore the "11-safe" folder to "11".
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I think i will try the configuration folder and the re- name idea. The program would not start from the source program directory. And i agree that changing the OS out could lead me down a rabbit hole, not worth it. Its almost midnight for me, i’ll start fresh tomorrow. Thanks ����

C:\Users\YourName\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2
    yes, sometimes deleting the .cfg files located here can solve things.

delete / move these to your desktop, see if it solves it
    LW11-64
    LWEXT11-64
    LWHUB11-64
    LWM11-64
    LWMASTERS11
    Last edited by erikals; 01-11-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I tried eliminating the config files, no luck. I think it is windows 7 not having a full deck, there is some tiny card missing, i will call the computer vendor, see whats up, the Bios hasn’t been up dated for 8 years. Funny that layout works fine, and my other graphic modeler program. Appreciate your advice.