Thread: Mesh Lagging Behind Rig?

Mesh Lagging Behind Rig?

So, I have a (what I thought) simple animation using a mesh with bones created using Genoma 2.

Rigging, etc., was problem-free and all the bones were created, labeled, etc. Weight maps were created and everything appears to be working perfectly, except for one issue.

The mesh has dynamics, and for whatever reason, the dynamics are making the mesh drag behind the rig when moving the entire rig.

The mesh appears to be doing every movement that the bones are doing, but for whatever reason, with dynamics ON, the entire mesh is offset from the rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mesh_lag.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	146583

When dynamics are OFF, the mesh snaps back up to the rig.

Name:	dynamics_off_no_lag.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	146584

Normally I would just write it off, except the this behavior is completely messing up the cape dynamics and location. In the images, the cape is attached to a null that is parented to the mesh.

If I parent the null to a portion of the rig (neck base control, etc) the cape is offset and the dynamics are wonky.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I started typing but... its kind of hard to describe in text. Here's a video instead. This is from my Syflex content, but it applies just as much to everything else in Lightwave, including bullet.

Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

good man, Ryan

Ryan the wrangler, heads them problems at the pass . VVG

I really appreciate the assistance, Ryan... but I'm just not grokking how I can apply your solution to my situation.

Here is my Scene Editor, in sequence view. The TDKObj generated by Genoma 2 is how I move the rig to its start point. As you can see here, the Batman body mesh is below the TDKObj in the hierarchy.

Name:	Scene Editor_Sequence.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	146608

Here is the animation at frame 10, with no adjustment to the Scene Editor sequence.

The TDKObj is at the start point and the rig is at the start point; the cape (with no dynamics) is a child of a null, which is a child of the neck base control of the rig, so they are all together. The Batman body mesh (with deforming dynamics ON) is lagging behind the rig, as before.

Name:	TDKObj_Moved__to_Start_Point.JPG 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	146609

Here is the animation again at frame 10 with the Batman body mesh above the TDKObj in the Scene editor sequence. The TDKObj is at the start point, but the rig and the Batman body mesh now stay in the position they were in frame 1.

Name:	Scene_Editor_Adjusment_Batman_Mesh_over_TDKObj.JPG 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	146610

So, I know I'm definitely doing something wrong, but I'm still not sure what it is.

Thanks again for any additional assistance, suggestions, or tips you can provide!