Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The weather procedural

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dusk.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	146600

Hi. Months ago, I mentioned how I wanted to do type of dark cloud cover coming from the horizon while it was still bright in the opposite direction. This photo I took today is somewhat an example of what I'd like to achieve some day.

BTW: there's ashfall outside my house. But since it's already night time I can't take any decent photos of that.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post

Hi. Months ago, I mentioned how I wanted to do type of dark cloud cover coming from the horizon while it was still bright in the opposite direction. This photo I took today is somewhat an example of what I'd like to achieve some day.

BTW: there's ashfall outside my house. But since it's already night time I can't take any decent photos of that.
    You mean you need it to be animated and move in? perfectly doable, depends on how fast, and what kind of general motion it should have.
    That kind of dark cloud you have in the image, has very little texture to it, just some small density variation, and soft edges...that isnīt hard to do at all, the bright side is just a matte of setting asymmetry the right way, and of course having the right sun angle for it, then itīs a matter of adjusting scattering color and perhaps absorbtion color..I may look at how this could be setup later today.

A little godray test I did mid december.

Canīt recall what procedural I used here, have to check the scene first which I havenīt right now, just a sample of some slight sunbeam, godray shining through, could be enhanced more by post, or tweaking the cloud density, sharpness and some more in the actual global scattering.
    Cloud movement can be made with either null reference and moving it, or use dpontīs speed time node and feed it in to a vector node and choose directions, both wind direction and a slight up y direction for cloud change if necessary.

Sorry for the clip being to short, and I only did smaller resolution of the render 1123x478, so it was scaled up by youtube and thus loosing a bit of detail and sharpness.

Youtube description..
    "
    This is the lightwave volumetric primitive in volume mode, and in conjuction with the global scattering volumetrics, it is tricky to set it up depending on where the clouds are, how large they are, and position of clouds, tricky in the sense that it doesnīt behave by defualt such as vue or terragen for this effect, you have to adjust volumetric distance per scene case, and itīs harder to get good quality when rays are close to the clouds.

Cloud movement can be done with a null reference, or the speed time node from dpont fed in to position of wind direction and also a slight up-y direction.
    Physical sky environment, and the newer hosek wilkie sunlight model.
    Very short and subtle effect of the sunbeams, I will make longer and better ones later on."

And ..now youtube is enforcing harder child protection privacy, so you have to set vids to be non appropiate for children, if you want your vids to have comments active.

I took a look at this in Lighwave, though due to the texture of the cloud, it is a bit boring to mess around with, so my isnpiration for that type isnīt the best...the tricky part is to get all lighting temperatures, and scattering colors right, itīs in so many parameters, from the hosek wilkie light temperature, to itīs scattering color, and turbidity, then you got the actual cloud scattering, and then you got the physical sky and itīs scattering, there is also softer background cloud whispīs in white that blocks part of the sun, and also affects this cloud so it is a bit brighter at the side top than below..so a part of that effect I think is due to the secondary dispersion clouds as I call it, then you need to set the right assymetry, and the right scattering amount and light angle..and then you need to balance it with the proper amount of shadow intensity.

So trying to match a photo exactly in color or mood is the hardest part, the clouds texture, movement and density is of lesser difficulty.

And fog item

just added a primitive item in volume mode, with very small density etc, you can see the settings, this allows for making haze and scatter ligthcolor in a more spectral way sort of, while not physical correct in any means, it yields a more natural look to the sky and obscuring clouds with some hase/fog.

I have yet to find out how to work with global scattering this way, if possible..some more advanced nodes and math for extracting lenght and depth etc I guess, but that is a path I am reluctant to go since I want to work more artisticly than scientificly..when I can do so.

Still hoping they either rewrite the global scattering system, or implement another drop down handler of a scattering system more spectral physics, and more proper controls for height and depth.

When adding these extra volumetrics, on top of other volume items, rendertimes can go sky high, in this case 52 minutes ( with a lot of downloads going on in the background) and I should have increased step size, cause it wasnīt needed to have so low step size I did here, so I could crunch the time down to mayb 35 minutes...but 45-50 minutes is probably what you can expect for terragen and vue as well with this type of atmospherics, depending on your hardware also of course, but in general the 3D software equals up in time. Octane is a different matter though.

Take note of color change in scattering channel and those values, a slight bluish scattering results in a more redish pink and green tone when entering the fog volume which is located near ground, I like how it scatters from deepblue to cyanblue to bluegreen yellow, then orange almost pink, this is also what I often see when sun is almost going down on clear days without too much turbidity etc, there are so many different conditions though depending on temperatur in the air, amount of water droplets, time of year etc.

Never mind the little noise here and there, I could adress that..just testing and didnīt want to spend time too much on full quality.

Name:	with fog item.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	146612

Name:	without fog item.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	146613

And ..now youtube is enforcing harder child protection privacy, so you have to set vids to be non appropriate for children, if you want your vids to have comments active.
    not as far as i know.
    but Youtube sometimes has problems showing comments, a bug they need to fix.
    they might also have started to remove comments with links.

it is a bit of a hassle, but better child protection is good in the long run.

i just don't like the upload page 1-2-3 thing they got going. very inefficient.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-13-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

not as far as i know.
    but Youtube sometimes has problems showing comments, a bug they need to fix.
    they might also have started to remove comments with links.

it is a bit of a hassle, but better child protection is good in the long run.

i just don't like the upload page 1-2-3 thing they got going. very inefficient.
    Well, let me describe it like this, when I upload a video and go to settings, the ability to use comments isnīt active, checked...and I get an error when trying to choose it because of some setting, the vid was marked as appropiate for children, so I changed that..and voila..the comment field became choosable, and to further put that in perspective..I think there was a statement in the new rules for youtube, that comment sections are not allowed for a video marked as appropiate for children, so if you choose that option, you seem not able to have it commentable as described.

ok, hm, seems alright with these settings at the westcoast
    https://i.imgur.com/yTi6rAV.png

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ok, hm, seems alright with these settings at the westcoast
    https://i.imgur.com/yTi6rAV.png
    that screenshot doesnīt say anything about the commenting section, all you got there is the option to set it as inappropiate for children, and you also have the description field which is a different matter.
    somwhere there you must have the setting where you choose to allow comments, maybe in the next step? check more options.. and if you have choosen not appropiate for children, you should not be able to choose allow comments either.

you have a global setting, i don't touch that one, other than that i don't know.
    anyways, works ok, if you use the right settings. tho not sure what those "right" settings are. Youtube doesn't like to play easy.

and if you have choosen not appropiate for children, you should not be able to choose allow comments either.
    works here.  

note tho that kids >are< allowed to watch it, since i activated this last setting >
    https://i.imgur.com/SJyNDSd.png
    Last edited by erikals; 01-14-2020 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And fog item

just added a primitive item in volume mode, with very small density etc, you can see the settings, this allows for making haze and scatter ligthcolor in a more spectral way sort of, while not physical correct in any means, it yields a more natural look to the sky and obscuring clouds with some hase/fog.

I have yet to find out how to work with global scattering this way, if possible..some more advanced nodes and math for extracting lenght and depth etc I guess, but that is a path I am reluctant to go since I want to work more artisticly than scientificly..when I can do so.

Still hoping they either rewrite the global scattering system, or implement another drop down handler of a scattering system more spectral physics, and more proper controls for height and depth.

When adding these extra volumetrics, on top of other volume items, rendertimes can go sky high, in this case 52 minutes ( with a lot of downloads going on in the background) and I should have increased step size, cause it wasnīt needed to have so low step size I did here, so I could crunch the time down to mayb 35 minutes...but 45-50 minutes is probably what you can expect for terragen and vue as well with this type of atmospherics, depending on your hardware also of course, but in general the 3D software equals up in time. Octane is a different matter though.

Take note of color change in scattering channel and those values, a slight bluish scattering results in a more redish pink and green tone when entering the fog volume which is located near ground, I like how it scatters from deepblue to cyanblue to bluegreen yellow, then orange almost pink, this is also what I often see when sun is almost going down on clear days without too much turbidity etc, there are so many different conditions though depending on temperatur in the air, amount of water droplets, time of year etc.

Never mind the little noise here and there, I could adress that..just testing and didnīt want to spend time too much on full quality.
    That's really amazing. So far I have no plans to animate that kind of atmosphere, it was just a look that I dreamed of simulating.

Also I suspect what I photographed was actually ashfall from the recent eruption of Mt. Taal. I hope that didn't confound your tests.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

That's really amazing. So far I have no plans to animate that kind of atmosphere, it was just a look that I dreamed of simulating.

Also I suspect what I photographed was actually ashfall from the recent eruption of Mt. Taal. I hope that didn't confound your tests.
    Yeah...sorry to hear about that vulcanic ashfall, hope you are in a safe place?

I suspected that it is some kind of dust cloud with particles from earth rather than water droplet particles.

Regarding setting up an atmosphere this way with fog/haze layers to scatter the light in various colors etc, either you go the full global scattering or by scaled volume item layers....adding that effect is changing the atmosphere immensly with
    all that advanced scattering, much much more realistic and color when you can get that light and color scattering, it spreads the light also depending on assymetry settings to me much more realistic in the sky when the weather conditions is a particular way.

Comes at a cost though, longer rendertimes if you want decent quality, and which method to use, the global scattering has no quality control per say, and you would need to do the trick with nodal setups to control height and depth I think, which I still do not know how to do.
    And the volume item node with scalable layers, will pose issues of scaling properly and position it properly...a single still may work quite easy, but for a scene you would need to pan or move camera through, there will be problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12