Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The weather procedural

The weather procedural

Thankīs to denis pontoinner for his rman textures, in this case ..rock and weather procedural, the weather procedural has so many scale and other settings, it may be a bit difficult to get good results at once, you need to spend a lot of time with it, once you know it better..it has the potential to be better than turbulence for most clouds.

Iīts just unfinished half rendered screenshots, just wanted to showcase the weather procedural a bit..
    the larger terrain, just a quick mockup from Gaea, only have the demoversion so that is only a 1024x1024 texture that is displaced, can not get any higher output than that with the demo, a bit over a millions in polys when subpatched some artifacts partly due to not having tripled it, and partly some settings in gaea, material is not pbr but standard material, some slight crackle bump as well..but not good enough since it should have the falloff fixed to only work on the higher rocky parts.

Anyway, the rest is the weather procedurals on 4 nulls for that larger gaea terrain.
    for the other I think only one single large null and the weather procedural, and that single rock in the middle is just pure lw fractals.

the gaea landscape I didnīt wait for it to iterate refine enough before taking the screenshot, thus the clouds have too much grain in them, these images may go nowhere I just wanted to test the weather procedural with some rock and landscape approach, for gaea terrains
    I would need to invest in the full version.(maybe) and the other pillar type with only procedurals is ongoing RND from time to time, that will be combined with blender sculpting later, and much more advanced rocks, the procedurals for that is two of a kind, namely the rman rock..main rock structure, and the native crackle procedural for finer cracks.

The newer sunlight type is used for more accuracy when the sun goes down a bit and color the clouds, and the new physical sky is used as well, radiosity and indirect sampling for it to work on clouds as well.
    Never mind what seem to be a water plane, I just made it reflective, and didnīt focus on that to be ocean or sea, will adress that later perhaps.
    some more rock types of different shape, and then instance them etc..together with better water, and it may be nice.
    Clouds are roughly at large scale near real life I would say.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot 01-08-20 at 08.12.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	146574

Name:	ScreenShot 01-09-20 at 08.58.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	146575

Accidently saved out from acdsee..which produced a horrible banding.

this one is better..

To further note, I also use a curve gradient in between the actual texture fractalto the texture input, as well as another curve gradient between the actual texture fractal and the texture density, this softens up the are of the edges of the cloud, but with a curve control to maintain the inner volume a bit more denser.

Name:	ScreenShot 01-08-20 at 08.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	146576

Wow this is really cool!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Wow this is really cool!
    Yepzi!  
    Prometheus knows clouds!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You wouldn't mind sharing your weather procedural settings, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    You wouldn't mind sharing your weather procedural settings, would you?
    Maybe..but only part of it, I may need to keep some of it for tutorials later.
    And to smoothly shy away from your request in a fine way, I need to go to bed now, got some more interesting procedural images to show tomorrow, and Iīll think about what to share etc.

Eh...Iīm supposed o sleep now, but sometimes these tweakings keep me up for hours.

This sample, not the weather, but the gardner clouds, in this case added with the procedural (multinode) which I actually isnīt that fond of, itīs deepest function parameters is two window modul popup required from that node, and these settings are not exposed and accessable as node inputs becuase of that, I think it is better to simply add the nodes you want and reroute them, enough about that now.

The gardner clouds is here inverted, and in the second image, pretty much the same main procedural gardner clouds, but I copied it but did not invert it..and then fed the output to the first gardner clouds rotation node, and we know by that it will transform the procedural (distort it)..so that way we can get more whisp and undulations, you can choose many other procedurals to do this as well, like the weather procedural, or turbulent noise etc...this additional procedural that goes in to the rotation input, can be controlled in strenght by just lower or increase opacity, you can also go in there and change scale and a lot of other parameters.

In this case, no emission value..(only use it if you absolutely have to fake illumination) and in this case, no radiosity in the scene..quicker that way when I just need to showcase, and in this kind of cloud type, multiple scattering is less appearant anyway.

A smooth step function with some adjustment helps getting control of how much of the volume should be dense or filled with the texture, so that can clip texture density off, or more fuller cloud over the sky, you can of course use curve gradient also, but they can be harder to control.

Only one larger primitive item in volume mode for these two latest images.

Settings for the weather procedural have to look for it tomorrow.

And as usual, thankīs Denis P for your Rman Collection.

Name:	gardner clouds.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	146581

Name:	gardner clouds x2 rotation transformation.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	146582

Frequenter
    These look really, really nice, Prom! :-) Thanks for sharing!
    And now: Sleep well, you earned it! ;-)
    Cheers

Very nice Prometheus, hope you will share your scene file settings with us.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Beautiful
    David Agüero - freelance 3D generalist & concept design
    Modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, animation
    www.davidaguero.com.ar
    vimeo channel
    Free Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by ary3d View Post
    Beautiful
    Thankīs David.

Any plans on upgrading from 2015 to 2019..so you get access to the new more realistic volumetrics?
    sometimes backdrop imagery is of course to be prefered if you can match lighting with the scene etc, but othertimes you may want the exact match of
    the light acting the same on clouds as on the landscape with full raytraced casted shadows, it of course comes at a rendertime cost.

I wonīt share the scene, Only the node for the weather procedural from the first image, but the clouds was 3 primitive items..pretty much the same, so youīll get only the procedural node setup, and you have to feed the multiply node in to the scattering channel, and the alpha output to the texture input (weird that the full tree can not be exported..missing the main output node)

But it takes a lot more to get it to look like this, first off, you need to set the radius of the primitive to 100 m, also scale the cloud ref to 225.340, this will not scale up the cloud size..only the texture size of the procedural, you would have to connect it yourself also to the setup in the primitive volume.
    The actual texture is also a little tweaked in scaling x and y 1,5 and z 1,7
    Texture amplitude for the voxel is 2,3

So donīt expect to get exactly what I got there, position of the null is also not described, the rest is a learning process ..so for whatīs it worth, if you manage to get something decent you can always post here and I could probably tell where it can be improved.
    The cloud lives at the height of 119 meters, the actual cloud volume is also scaled to..
    x 2,826
    y 0,350
    z 6,026
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thankīs David.

Any plans on upgrading from 2015 to 2019..so you get access to the new more realistic volumetrics?
    sometimes backdrop imagery is of course to be prefered if you can match lighting with the scene etc, but othertimes you may want the exact match of
    the light acting the same on clouds as on the landscape with full raytraced casted shadows, it of course comes at a rendertime cost.
    I have upgraded from 11.6 to 2018 some time ago, soon I will upgrade to 2019, I have used the new volumetric system in my last render:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAm8Xn
    I have doing some experiment with the volumetrics also, some low clouds or morning myst:

Name:	forest.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	549.9 KB 
ID:	146587
    David Agüero - freelance 3D generalist & concept design
    Modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, animation
    www.davidaguero.com.ar
    vimeo channel
    Free Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by ary3d View Post
    I have upgraded from 11.6 to 2018 some time ago, soon I will upgrade to 2019, I have used the new volumetric system in my last render:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAm8Xn
    I have doing some experiment with the volumetrics also, some low clouds or morning myst:

Name:	forest.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	549.9 KB 
ID:	146587
    Great, and I recommend you upgrade ASAP, some bugfixing that was crucial I think, some minor physical sky improvements..though I would say octanes sky look much better...at least in blender which I can see.

Yes, nice image..the new volumetrics is great for that kind of either low clouds and mist i think, may be even easier to manage than in vue for instance.
    Still hope they could manage to implement yet another volumetric global scattering handler, and this time a full spectral one that physicly is much better for a sky than the current volumetric global scattering, after that we only mostly need infinite volumetric cloud planes as well, then they could start to focus on displacements and terrain fractals.

By the way, the Rman terrain node may be of interest, Denis P did implement that not long ago, it has some interesting patterns if using jordan and suiss mode, though it has to be together with some other main typical terrain fractals such as FBM and Ridged multifractal.

I will have to showcase some samples of that later as well.

This is very helpful and thank you for sharing. I always try to figure things out myself, but sometimes I just need some starting points. Thanks again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast