Thread: YouTube Live Stream Health

YouTube Live Stream Health

Last night we streamed a live event (wrestling) and in the YouTube Live Control Room I keep getting reports under our stream health. The stream goes from "Stream is Healthy" to "The current bitrate is (4946.0 Kbps) is higher than the recommended bitrate. We recommend using 2500 Kbps" to "Error - not receiving enough video to maintain smooth streaming...buffering will occur."

These same messages also popped up constantly during last week's live stream.

My IT department assures me we have PLENTY of bandwidth. They assure me we are not being throttled.

In TriCaster AE3 (latest build), my session is 1080P. Last week I streamed my event at 1080, so last night I tried 720, and still having issues. Looking back at the event on YouTube after the fact, it seems to play ok (minor dropped frames from time to time).

Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Am I supposed to adjust my streaming bitrate somewhere? Thanks!
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - AE 3
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750 - Birddog Eyes P200 PTZ

I would suggest streaming to youtube via OBS (or anything that can send out an RTMP stream) and a computer and then look at your network connectivity looking at packet captures. I have found issues such as packet loss and other various network issues that allowed us to find issues on the network. Live streaming for long durations is also something not normal for most networks. I have been bitten many times because while they say I am not being throttled the QOS service starts to deprioritize my stream traffic vs others. So when no one else is doing stuff I am solid but as others come around I get moved to the bottom. Its not something most experience because its not very common for someone to upload a constant 4-10mbit for an hour etc.

Thanks. I’ll bring your suggestion to my IT guy and see what kind of feedback I get.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ

TriCaster Mini - AE 3

I've had that appear, too, but it's usually when we're on a break and showing a slate or other still image. And, if and when it pops up during broadcast, all still seems to be ok, 99% of the time.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I've had that appear, too, but it's usually when we're on a break and showing a slate or other still image. And, if and when it pops up during broadcast, all still seems to be ok, 99% of the time.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Thats a good point. A still slate depending on encoders could be sent out at a fraction of the planned bitrate which would look like an issue to the receiving side when it goes from 6mbit/sec down to .4mbit for just sound + slate.

So I ran a test today using OBS to stream to an event on our YouTube channel. The Live Control Room YouTube UI gave me a clean bill of health for the entire duration. I streamed a recording of the wrestling match we had issues with so the content would be similar. The Stream Health read "Excellent" Stream health is excellent. I streamed via my iMac connected to the same switch our TriCaster is on. It seems that there is an issue with how my TriCaster is sending out the stream. When streaming with the TriCaster, the feedback from YouTube is all over the place with warnings every couple of minutes, and when streaming via OBS, it's simply locked on Excellent health. Any other suggestions or things to look for?
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ

TriCaster Mini - AE 3