Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightwave 2015 - Working in a polygon heave scene!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Hi Folks.

Thanks for the continued input here, very much appreciated. I also appreciate the batch of screenshots and link to the plug, thanks. I'll be sure to work through all suggestions.

In response to how the house the built, I build the house, empty of objects, and then built each house furnishing, fixtures and fittings, as standalone objects which were taken into house scene and positioned. As more and more objects were created, the mesh density got thicker. I'm still populating the house with stuff, not finished yet, which is making the scene more and more difficult to work with, so I appreciate the help here, thanks!

I never bought Lightwave 2019, I did buy 2018. The totally new interface elements, specifically the node editor, was my downfall. I spend about eleven months trying to learn and understand that node editor but after eleven months I had done very little 3D creativity and I knew from looking at tutorials and reading the manual that if I linked A to B to C to D, I got the result I wanted. But I didn't understand it, why I had to link A to B to C to D or what those linkages achieved.

So I had a choice, continue to battle with the interface which was double-dutch to me and was killing my 3D creativity, or go back to 2015 which I knew and understood. So I went back to 2015. Not sure what this means for my future because at some point Lightwave 2015 might stop working and then what do I do??? But for now that's why I'm using it, because I know it and I understand it. That node editor makes no sense to me at all, even after eleven odd months of trying to wrap my head around it.

"Dont be afraid of nodes" a certain lightwave gure said (not the lighwave guru) and that in reference with all the nodal workflow in 2019.
    And itīs a bit funny, houdini almost built on nodes, are constantly workin out frameworks around it for it to be more "artist friendly" while the workflow of recent lightwave seem to go the other way around, disconnecting things that was good in a framework around the tool, and just leaving it as nodes only, that is something I donīt like nor appreciate.

All hardcore node fans go.."but thereīs so much you can do", or..to me nodes are the natural state, I doubt though that it in general can be said as somekind of superior workflow in terms of being artist friendly, itīs like having a piece of wood and some hair from a wild boar, some glue some color pigments, some oil...now you do the work and mix it as you please.

I find the very strict approach recently of nodes implementation in Lightwave without thinking about wrapping it up with better framework and controls disturbing, I can get by with nodes..but I also recognize if things would be better wrapped up with controls and such, One would get much more creativity out of it.

Take the new hypervoxels system for instance, even if I can work that out and even though it in essential delivers more realistic clouds, and explosions, had that volumetric worked with the same workflow as the old hypervoxels..I would have been able to be much more creative with that.. and I am 100% sure of that, and I talk about how you access it, set it up and apply it and navigate etc, but maintaining the new volumetrics pbr and main functions, not the old shading system.

I can only hope they stop and reflect over this before itīs too late, and simply try and be more careful of new tools and how to access them, make nodes accessable for flexibility and enhancement, but not as required for the basic tool, if they start to repeat that mantra..it has potential to get back right on track again ..and empowering artists to be more creative than scaring them away, as in the example of you.

Ivé mentioned it many times before, they should implement shelf tools, with tools that has gone through a framework build up around nodal functionality within a certain tool, just like houdini does it.
    Example of VDB gas solver for instance, you open the shelf, pick the icon of gas fluids, and it will automaticly add a null container ...already set to vdb, already setup with the gas solver connected, then it of course should have a window controller for the main gas solver parameters, as it stands now..it often requires jumping in too deep to get going, you should do that only when you need to go deeper.

Same with normal primitive item in volume mode, you select your volume item from the shelf, click or drag it to the scen,and voila you do not even have to set up a hypertexture through the node system, itīs already connected.

Simply put, make lightwave fast and easy to use Again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    I never bought Lightwave 2019, I did buy 2018. The totally new interface elements, specifically the node editor, was my downfall. I spend about eleven months trying to learn and understand that node editor but after eleven months I had done very little 3D creativity and I knew from looking at tutorials and reading the manual that if I linked A to B to C to D, I got the result I wanted. But I didn't understand it, why I had to link A to B to C to D or what those linkages achieved.

So I had a choice, continue to battle with the interface which was double-dutch to me and was killing my 3D creativity, or go back to 2015 which I knew and understood. So I went back to 2015. Not sure what this means for my future because at some point Lightwave 2015 might stop working and then what do I do??? But for now that's why I'm using it, because I know it and I understand it. That node editor makes no sense to me at all, even after eleven odd months of trying to wrap my head around it.
    Hi Paul,

Are you saying that you don't understand:

a) The basic principles of the Node Editor?
    b) How to operate the Node Editor's interface?
    c) The terminology used in the Node Editor?
    d) All of the above?

I'm interested in your issue because I am thinking of producing a series of "How To" videos to help solve some of the issues that LW users have with the software.

I produced a very rough and ready one for forum user Icon Kid that I posted here in the forums ( https://youtu.be/rf29QFujz24 ) and he seemed to really appreciate it, so I've been toying with the idea of producing more. So the more info I have on the specifics of the problem, the better targeted they'd be at resolving the issue.

While it'll be nearly impossible to top Rebel Hills series with regard to information and examples, they unfortunately are lacking having references to particular points when you try to recall something months later. Even a simple PDF with chapter time marks & key points to remember would have gone a long way.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    While it'll be nearly impossible to top Rebel Hills series with regard to information and examples, they unfortunately are lacking having references to particular points when you try to recall something months later. Even a simple PDF with chapter time marks & key points to remember would have gone a long way.
    I wasn't even aware that RH had made tutorials on nodes, but after briefly checking it out, they look like they're very comprehensive and very well made.

I hadn't really intended to go deeply into how the nodes system operates. I was just intending to create videos that address specific issues, but yes RH's work is of a very high standard indeed.

Thanks for the heads up Ma3rk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I wasn't even aware that RH had made tutorials on nodes, but after briefly checking it out, they look like they're very comprehensive and very well made.

I hadn't really intended to go deeply into how the nodes system operates. I was just intending to create videos that address specific issues, but yes RH's work is of a very high standard indeed.

Thanks for the heads up Ma3rk.
    While I did get his node series, I never fully made it through them & might give them a try again some time. What I got the most out of was his Lighting Shading and Rendering (LSR) series that picks up with the 2018 rendering system. But watching how he actually goes through, unrehearsed basically, of setting up a model & scene from scratch in the process of the surfacing gave me a lot of ah-HA moments.

Even so, there're still aspects I'm blurry on, so there's always room for other angles of attack on complex subjects to be sure.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Just to chime in here. Don't forget that you can mix wireframe and shaded in a viewport.

I have a room with a ball and a cube inside (1.png). I'm in Textured view mode, so I can only see the ball and cube if I go through the room's wall to see inside (2.png). If I open a scene editor, I can set the maximum display level per object so that my room will always be in wireframe, but my ball and cube will be textured shaded solid (3.png).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	599.4 KB 
ID:	146618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	146617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	788.0 KB 
ID:	146616

Hope this helps,

B
    PS. My 2015's key isn't working for whatever reason (I have used it for four years?) and I'm on a 4K screen, so apologies that the screenshots need scrutiny up close
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I do all my construction in modeler, with extensive use of layers
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12