Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2015 - Working in a polygon heave scene!

Question Lightwave 2015 - Working in a polygon heave scene!

Hi Folks.

I've built a house, basement, ground floor, upstairs, attic, and I'm in the process of filling it up with furniture, fixtures and fittings. Each newly added object is making the wireframe mesh view of the scene very dense. When all the furnishings are in, working in the house for animation is going to be tricky as all I see is a mesh of wireframes! It's a shame Layout doesn't have layers like Modeller does, so anyone got any advice on how to work with a mesh-dense scene?
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Have you tied using the VPR? I don't have the greatest GPU, but I sometimes find that's faster than the open GL, even when I'm doing thousands of instances.

Good Luck,

If you need to work in wireframe view (instead of shaded), use "front face wireframe" in your Layout view. That will cut out at least half the mess.

You can also use the Scene Editor to "set color" on each item. This makes the wireframes less of a mess.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    ...It's a shame Layout doesn't have layers like Modeller does, so anyone got any advice on how to work with a mesh-dense scene?
    I should have read the whole post. Yes, Layout does have layers, with the help of Mike Green's free LayersMC script ( http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#LayersMC ) or Oliver Hotz's UberPass ( https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...&product_id=63 ). (UberPass requires 2018 or 2019).

Edit again...

Without any extra plugins, you can use selection sets in the new Scene / Dope Editor. Save and recover selection sets, then toggle visibility for everything in the set. Click the "Sets" button for all options...

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...ne-dope-editor
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-09-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

UberPass would be a treat for this kind of work.
    Using the scene editor, too, would be an option by turning some things off, coloring or even diffent shading models.

Layers are there in several ways.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Hi Folks.

I've built a house, basement, ground floor, upstairs, attic, and I'm in the process of filling it up with furniture, fixtures and fittings. Each newly added object is making the wireframe mesh view of the scene very dense. When all the furnishings are in, working in the house for animation is going to be tricky as all I see is a mesh of wireframes! It's a shame Layout doesn't have layers like Modeller does, so anyone got any advice on how to work with a mesh-dense scene?
    Paul,

Ran into the same thing a few months back & got just the tool for ya... just not sure where to find it now. Can't recall now who casually mention this tool on the forum now but I thank them.

Look for ef_ItemFocus. Series of three lsc scripts. In layout, you simply select the item, click the script & item is isolated. Click again & all is restored.

Check the typical places as it wasn't hard to find.

If all else fails: Send questions, comments, bugs, and requests to [email protected]
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Wow, thanks very much for all this feedback. I'll work through it later tonight, I'm sure something here will help. Much appreciated.
    KnightTrek Productions

Display..Dynamic update and set a low threshold, this means when you rotate viewport or rotate something, the viewport display will go in to box mode for any object..
    thus making it faster to move, rotate etc..and once you stop orbiting, moving something..it automaticly goes back to the viewport mode you have set, such as full wireframe or full textured shading.

Oops..thought it was a speed issue, but I see know it was about a messy wireframe display.

You also might want to think about breaking up your scene based on the shots you'll need. That will also help with your render times.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Oops..thought it was a speed issue, but I see know it was about a messy wireframe display.
    Bahaha!! Yep, it's trying to see the objects in the house and animate them while they buried in a cloud of meshes! Thanks to all again for the helpful tips. The Front Facing Wireframe definitely helps with the clutter. I have to work in wireframe mode as any shaded mode just presents the roof and walls of the house to me. LOL!! Layers in Layout as they are implemented into Modeller would be awesome! Thanks again, Folks, much appreciated.
    KnightTrek Productions

Bahaha!! Yep, it's trying to see the objects in the house and animate them while they buried in a cloud of meshes! Thanks to all again for the helpful tips. The Front Facing Wireframe definitely helps with the clutter. I have to work in wireframe mode as any shaded mode just presents the roof and walls of the house to me. LOL!! Layers in Layout as they are implemented into Modeller would be awesome! Thanks again, Folks, much appreciated.
    And I also missed the spelling on "now" and wrote know...I often loose on that one in many cases.

Hi Paul.. just curious, sorry to jump off topic. But did you give up on 2019? Just wondering. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't want to respond here. I understand. Yes.. messy wireframes. Always a challenge once you get tons of stuff. Micro managing a scene can be tedious sometimes. I've even went crazy to combine lots of objects so my scene list is easy to select and hide them instead of grabbing a ton of colored ones on and off. Good luck!

... I have to work in wireframe mode as any shaded mode just presents the roof and walls of the house to me.
    This may have been overthought...

Wouldn't it be cool, if in Modeler, you could set each layer to display as shaded, wireframe, or bounding box? You can in Layout. It's in the scene editor. Just switch the display of your roof and walls to wireframe or bounding box and leave everything else as shaded.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Frequenter
    ... Layers in Layout as they are implemented into Modeller would be awesome! Thanks again, Folks, much appreciated.
    Maybe I am not seeing the forest before the trees here:
    Donīt you already did model your object (House and Furniture, whatever..) as a layered object?
    If so, how do you NOT have it in Layout as separately accessible layers/objects?
    It is not so much more difficult to check/uncheck visibility individually of single layers or even less hassle to color the parts wireframes in Layout compared to modeler, isnīt it?

I wanted to reiterate visually what I posted before using ef_Focus & it's simplicity:

BTW, Thumbnail manager needs some TLC; no way to remove a bad image so ignore the 3rd one.

Not all models received are organized ideally to say the least. Having layers isn't always that helpful when they start running into the hundreds and you'd looking for BFH_Floor(2)_Sconce (43).

This is just a simple example that my laptop can easily handle. The set on my big system is THREE levels of house plus a basement & attics not to mention surrounding terrain, foliage a secondary carriage house. And it's not even propped out yet.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p.../ef-itemfocus/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused02.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	818.1 KB 
ID:	146593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused03.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	817.0 KB 
ID:	146594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused02.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	933.7 KB 
ID:	146592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused04.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	146595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused05.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	146596  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef_Focused06.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	146597  
    Last edited by Ma3rk; 01-11-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Hi Folks.

Thanks for the continued input here, very much appreciated. I also appreciate the batch of screenshots and link to the plug, thanks. I'll be sure to work through all suggestions.

In response to how the house the built, I build the house, empty of objects, and then built each house furnishing, fixtures and fittings, as standalone objects which were taken into house scene and positioned. As more and more objects were created, the mesh density got thicker. I'm still populating the house with stuff, not finished yet, which is making the scene more and more difficult to work with, so I appreciate the help here, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    Hi Paul.. just curious, sorry to jump off topic. But did you give up on 2019? Just wondering.
    I never bought Lightwave 2019, I did buy 2018. The totally new interface elements, specifically the node editor, was my downfall. I spend about eleven months trying to learn and understand that node editor but after eleven months I had done very little 3D creativity and I knew from looking at tutorials and reading the manual that if I linked A to B to C to D, I got the result I wanted. But I didn't understand it, why I had to link A to B to C to D or what those linkages achieved.

So I had a choice, continue to battle with the interface which was double-dutch to me and was killing my 3D creativity, or go back to 2015 which I knew and understood. So I went back to 2015. Not sure what this means for my future because at some point Lightwave 2015 might stop working and then what do I do??? But for now that's why I'm using it, because I know it and I understand it. That node editor makes no sense to me at all, even after eleven odd months of trying to wrap my head around it.
    KnightTrek Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast