Thread: Chasing the infinite sea (first video post on this forum) ...

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar

Chasing the infinite sea (first video post on this forum) ...

Been so busy during the year just gone, but finally got to put this scene through its paces.

All native LW 11.63 procedurals, Octane procedural materials/render, Titanic model from GrabCAD.com.

No wake trace or FD, the "foam" along the hull waterline is just an artefact of the two surfaces intersecting.

I'm planning to rip out the Titanic (but leave a null in its place - you can DL the ship for yourself from GrabCAD.com) and then dump a zip of the scene/lwo files here for DL so anyone can pull it apart -BUT- at this point the Octane material/surfacing will not be released - you'll need to supply your own ocean surface alternative. But I'll leave everything else in, including the nodal wave def setup.

Hope you like the progress so far, still a WIP.

Wow, that's genius!!! I've created endless oceans before, but it was a real pain. This looks great.

Would this work with the native LW renderer do you think?

Are the shaders set to world co-ords, is that how you handle the 'projection' of the sea?
    Last edited by lardbros; 01-09-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Wow, that's genius!!! I've created endless oceans before, but it was a real pain. This looks great.

Would this work with the native LW renderer do you think?

Are the shaders set to world co-ords, is that how you handle the 'projection' of the sea?
    Thanks Lardbros.

"Would this work with the native LW renderer do you think?" = definitely
    "Are the shaders set to world co-ords, is that how you handle the 'projection' of the sea?" = yes

Attached scene is an earlier WIP scene, fully demonstrates the concept. All LW, have kept it at 11.63 so anyone who hasn't upgraded can have a play, rip it apart, improve what's there etc etc
    • The mesh density is controlled via Object Properties - "5~6" for display, I cranked it up to "9" for rendering to get 33.5 million polygons
    • Displacement is via the HOT Ocean plugin + a LW Crumple in the attached example - I cranked the HOT node resolution settings up to "12" for the render, but this makes the scene unmanageably slow for normal viewing
    • You will need to find a suitable 360 .exr env map replacement - I could not get a successful upload of the 18meg image I used in the scene file :-(

Please note the following WIP shortcomings of the attached scene:
    • Currently you can't pitch the controlling camera (the camera which defines where the detailed ocean is placed) above the horizon. Well, you can, but the controlling bone looses the means for knowing where it should be placed. This can be overcome in part via the use of a second camera slaved to the controlling camera, but there are still issues …
    • I think motion blur would probably suck (because the whole mesh moves), but I haven't tested this
    • The means for "pinning" the control bones in place should work no matter what the FOV is, but I find it does not always
    • LEAVE FRAME ZERO (0) AS IS - I've messed with this and the whole thing comes unglued
    • Also, changing the camera aspect ratio "should work," but again all the sticky-tape holding things together falls apart when I do
    • … did I mention all this was very WIP?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderCapture-01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	856.2 KB 
ID:	146577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UL-01__A__SubD-Settings.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	550.8 KB 
ID:	146578 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UL-01__A__NodalDisp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	146579

UL-01.zip

Enjoy … ?

Despite its limitations, that's an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing !
    Most of the time my open ocean scenes are kilometers square because of shot duration and boat speed, so I wish this kind of trick could do it...at least sometimes
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.