Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STP File Format

Quote Originally Posted by Fernee View Post
    Thanks for all your quick answers, maybe I didnīt explain myself correctly, the thing is, Iīll be modeling the object required from the client in lightwave, and then, I have to deliver in the STP format, that by all your posts, I find, I wonīt be able to do, since Lightwave doesnīt support it.... maybe, thereīs a way to export in STL, and somehow to reexport from other software to the file format asked from the client?
    Still not confirming to the client until Iīm sure I can do the task.....
    You can import your lightwave model as obj into freecad and then convert that polygon model into a 'solid'. Then you can export it as STEP and you're done.

Really weird doing it that way but it works....

Just a warning that it only works on simple geometry, to re-generate the polygons to accurate surfaces in STEP. The conversion will fail on high poly count or models with lots of openings. Mentioning it again since a client is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    It sounds as if you need more info on several fronts, one being the client as to real specifics. On the other front, I certainly wouldn't know. But I know who would.

Drop Okino Graphics a note. As in PolyTrans.

https://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

Robert is a hoot to say the least and one of the original 3D graphics format techno-nerds. Never met him but when I bought Polytrans it was a several e-mail exchange before he'd even sell it to me!

And then several multi paged messages of details after that...

Anyway, if anyone would know if Lightwave can be used for this via some translation process, he would. Might be a couple pages of explanation, but you'd have pretty definitive options on deciding how to pursue it.

Worth a message anyway I'd think.
    Ha Ive had those convoluted conversations with Robert myself but he's really helpful and always delivers. If the OP needs a one off conversion Im happy to lend a hand using Polytrans here. Although I'm sure you will get similar results exporting out to STL. PM if required.

Thanks for all your quick answers, maybe I didnīt explain myself correctly, the thing is, Iīll be modeling the object required from the client in lightwave, and then, I have to deliver in the STP format, that by all your posts, I find, I wonīt be able to do, since Lightwave doesnīt support it.... maybe, thereīs a way to export in STL, and somehow to reexport from other software to the file format asked from the client?
    Still not confirming to the client until Iīm sure I can do the task.....
    The current MOI 3D V4 beta can import subdivision surface models saved as OBJ and convert them to NURBS solid models. You can then export them to any variety of formats, including STP. Give it a shot if you have the program since you need to own a copy of MOI 3D V3 to access the beta.

moi3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Just a warning that it only works on simple geometry, to re-generate the polygons to accurate surfaces in STEP. The conversion will fail on high poly count or models with lots of openings. Mentioning it again since a client is involved.
    Thanks Free4Ever, I willconduct the experiment, to see if things happens that way....
    i7/64bits/8GB RAM/Win10/basic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Ha Ive had those convoluted conversations with Robert myself but he's really helpful and always delivers. If the OP needs a one off conversion Im happy to lend a hand using Polytrans here. Although I'm sure you will get similar results exporting out to STL. PM if required.
    Thanks Otterman, Iīm trying the Free CAD way to see how good the mesh comes, and deffinitely will PM you taking your offering...
    i7/64bits/8GB RAM/Win10/basic stuff

Thanks Otterman, Iīm trying the Free CAD way to see how good the mesh comes...
    You're better off drafting original content in FreeCAD than to use it as a conversion tool from a LW mesh.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12