Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you love something, set it free (TAFA)

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    ...is it April 1st already? LOL ;-P...
    No. I'm serious. Ubuntu runs TAFA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tafa-ubuntu.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	146570
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    No. I'm serious. Ubuntu runs TAFA.
    Great information that TAFA runs on Linux. Your images shows Ubuntu 19,04.3 LTS 64 bit - so I just find that and it has Wine built in ?
    Also, you mentioned a USB stick. Do I just download/install TAFA onto a stick and it will work out of the box pluffed into a Windows machine ?

Many thanks.

Pretty much. One of our design goals was to make it easy to have TAFA with you whenever inspiration struck. Train rides, flights, visits home, whatever. So it's basically just an EXE in a directory with its configuration file. There is an installer, but it just unpacks and sets up menu entries. Give it a location on a USB stick or a DropBox drive or whatever works best for you.

That Ubuntu screenshot is a version or two behind the latest/greatest. Any recent version will do. Wine is not bundled in the default Ubuntu install but it is a quick and free addition through the Ubuntu software center (the third icon from the top left with the A on a shopping bag). But don't put yourself out installing Ubuntu just for that. I was just pointing out that despite Mac's comment that this is old code and limited to Windows, it still has legs and can go farther than expected.

With the core program files not exceeding 1.39 MB, you could probably run this from a floppy disc. That's some good code.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

If you're a Windows user trying to adjust to the Linux world, you might want to try Mint Linux. Not a perfect match, but a lot less jarring transition than Ubuntu (at least for me). Mint is based on Ubuntu (which is in turn based on Debian) so the available/installable tools are mostly the same. Mint just "feels" more like a Win7 machine.

It also tends to be easier to use nVidia cards with Mint, because they go with pragmatism over open-source purity. Don't want to get any wars started there, 'coz that's really up to what's important to the given user. But did want to mention it in case it's important.

(and, in a perfect world, I really wish nVidia would just open source their driver like AMD did... but we're not in a perfect world, so my personal preference is to use the closed source driver for the higher performance, 'coz I'm just that kind of person.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Thanks! That's a pretty cool tool. I've downloaded just in case it might be useful. Not sure how it will be in my particular workflow, but it's a great tool none the less!

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Really, the year passed real quick, is it April 1st already? LOL ;-P
    maybe it’s “see you next tuesday” ?

This is great, brings back memories. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MacReiter View Post
    If you're a Windows user trying to adjust to the Linux world, you might want to try Mint Linux. Not a perfect match, but a lot less jarring transition than Ubuntu (at least for me). Mint is based on Ubuntu (which is in turn based on Debian) so the available/installable tools are mostly the same. Mint just "feels" more like a Win7 machine.

It also tends to be easier to use nVidia cards with Mint, because they go with pragmatism over open-source purity. Don't want to get any wars started there, 'coz that's really up to what's important to the given user. But did want to mention it in case it's important.

(and, in a perfect world, I really wish nVidia would just open source their driver like AMD did... but we're not in a perfect world, so my personal preference is to use the closed source driver for the higher performance, 'coz I'm just that kind of person.)
    OH yes, Linux Mint is really great. Next rig, I get rid of Mac OS for Linux Mint. I also tried Elementary OS : seemingly nicer out of the box, much less flexible in my book.
    Happy to know that TAFA works with WINE, I have to try it ASAP.

Thanks for letting it free. That's a generous move.
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 01-09-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Beyond Generous!

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

For those of you going down the Wine emulation path, I want to leave this here: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...velopment.html

Wine-stable seems to run TAFA just fine, but if you find you need newer code from wine-development or wine-staging, things can get complicated.

*CAUTION* When following the instructions, pay careful attention to which version of which distribution of Linux you're using. For example, Mint 19.* is based on Ubuntu 18.04, but it's very easy to think you should follow the instructions for Ubuntu 19.04. Just be careful.

This is great info, thanks Mac.

Can I ask anyone a slightly strange general Linux question. When Linux is installed on a laptop or desktop, does it fundamentally tie itself to some sort of hardware ID, or is it possible to take a backup "disk image" and reinstall the entire drive to a completely different machine ? I think Windows cannot do this because of the operating system serial number and required activation, but Linux might be able to ?

Quick link: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-meth...ux-hard-drive/ (they actually have 4, but that's the link URL...)

Linux is all about enabling you, not restricting you. It has no activation codes, and no reason to tie itself to hardware IDs.

Cloning drives is fairly common in Linux. The "everything is a file" mentality of the Unix design even makes it fairly easy (there are some caveats, but still easier than most OSs). Each partition on a drive looks like a file, which you can simply copy. Or the drive as a whole -- with all partitions and partition table -- can be seen as a file and copied. It's probably still better to use a drive cloning tool to handle the details (Clonezilla is the one I know, but there are others)

Another option that is widely recommended is to have all of your "user" information or "local setup" information on a separate partition (or at least, separate directories), like "/home" and "/usr". Then you can install clean Linux on the new machine, which is generally pretty fast, and just copy over your /home and /usr to get set up. Again, there are caveats, but migration is something that is very important to Linux users.

You might also be interested in Docker and other similar systems, where you create a "container" that has programs and settings inside it, and then that container can be docked into any system that runs Docker. Then you just back up or migrate your containers. Don't have much personal experience with this, but it seems very popular.

And best of all, pretty much any of this that you want to do is free, open source, and supported on the web. It may be a little bit messier or less turn-key, but there's always ways to do it and people willing to help.

https://alternativeto.net is an interesting site that lists community recommendations for alternatives to various programs. You can filter by operating system and license. Some of the alternatives are only tentatively related, but it's still a helpful way to find things in the wider world.
    Last edited by MacReiter; 01-10-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Link to guide to cloning drive

Gee whiz. This Linucks thing sounds fascinating. NewTek, are you listening? You're so close with LW running in Wine.

First, Thank you for the kindness in releasing TAFA.

I have wanted to try it out but I am more base in the poser world and would like to try to integrate it into what I want to do. I have seen people mention CR2 files with TAFA but I cannot find how or any information on it. Is this possible?

Thank you for any help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast