Thread: Gradient on an object

Gradient on an object

Another newbie question here. I have not used Lightwave in quite a few months and cannot seem to figure this out. I want to do a gradient on an object with green on the top and blue on the bottom. It is a gradient going down and I want to figure out how to do it.

I am using Lightwave 2018 and the tutorials I am finding are very old and many things not there or where they say they are in the video.

Here is what I have Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	65 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	146566

And here is what I was going for - Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 165
Size:  3.8 KB

Any ideas? Thanks

I you select the surfaced object itself as reference,
    the gradient starts from the object center,
    add a Null Object and move it at the top of the object
    and select it as reference for the gradient.

Denis.

That worked great! Thank you for that.

Denis does your first suggestion work from the actual center of the object or its pivot point.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

If in modeler centering the object with F3 Rest on ground, the gradient(if set to y-distant to object will be.. first color from ground and end color at the end of the object, in principle it will still follow the modeler pivot point.
    Remember you can use scale keys to check the gradient a bit if it seem to be off scale.

So that is an alternative if you do not want to use a null ref...adjust model itself to be at non pivot location since the model by default often is at the center of the object, or maintain the object at zero origin, but move the pivot point in modeler with the pivot tool.
    To keep in mind here, if you then try to set the gradient to pivot in layout..that wonīt work other than it will still be gradient from center..since I think Layout treats that pivot from the object center if not set within layout, so if you use the pivot tool in modeler and set it to
    the objects start (bottom) in layout you should choose y distance to object, not pivot...it is a bit awkward.

Edit..preferable method.
    You can also skip modeler correction, and simply In Layout..use modify/translate/move pivot..and I recommend you activate vpr and vpr render with opengl overlay,that way you will see the pivot point handles and the gradient..and see it working in almost realtime while moving the pivot point and see how the gradient changes, this allows for consistent gradient even if you move the mesh, while if you set it up with a null..you would have to parent that null to the mesh..or the gradient would be screwed up if you move the mesh.

So its the relationship of the object to ground and its pivot point as opposed to the center of the actual object. If i moved the object way off from 0,0,0 it would still work in relationship to the pivot point not the ground zero. Of course if you rely on the pivot point for animation then maybe you will need to use a null tied to the object.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    So its the relationship of the object to ground and its pivot point as opposed to the center of the actual object. If i moved the object way off from 0,0,0 it would still work in relationship to the pivot point not the ground zero. Of course if you rely on the pivot point for animation then maybe you will need to use a null tied to the object.
    Yep..thatīs it.
    Or make a null to be the pivot point for the animation of the mesh part, and maintain the original Model pivot ..or layout edited pivot point for the actual gradient, but when you hit F2 to center the mesh, it will auto center the mesh to the origion point, while F3 (rest to ground) will offset the mesh in relation to the origin point, thus the mesh will have itīs pivot point from the so called ground plane in modeler.
    The so called ground is nothing but the simple x,yz, zero origin, and once set it doesnīt matter where the layout ground/Zero origin is..I think.