Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OD Tools - no more LW development / new tools?

OD Tools - no more LW development / new tools?

A german LW site https://www.rendering.de/ mentioned that there will be no more new OD Tools and that Oliver switched to Houdini...

"+++ Auf Nachfrage ergänzt Oliver, dass er inzwischen zu Houdini gewechselt ist und es von ihm keine neuen LightWave-Tools mehr geben wird, nur noch Bugfixes : „Ich denke auch, dass 520 + Plugins in ODTools genug sein sollten. .. Aber ihr werdet gewiss andere Leute finden, die was für LW machen. Was mich angeht, so habe ich nun begonnen, OD Tools für Houdini zu veröffentlichen.“ +++"

Translate:

"When asked, Oliver adds that he has now switched to Houdini and that there will be no new LightWave tools, only bug fixes: “I also think that 520+ plugins in ODTools should be enough. .. But you will surely find other people who do something for LW. As for me, I've now started to publish OD Tools for Houdini.”

too bad, but after all... > "520+ plugins in ODTools should be enough"

it will take you quite some time to test those.

anyone using LightWave in production should us OD Tools,  imo
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Well there is more than enough tools to be getting on with. At least Oliver will provide bugfixes into the future. I cant say i blame him switching to Houdini.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

hmm, not good news

Well i can understand Oliver and his decision and at least he will update for any bugs or changes. Im sure there are many other things that could have been included now or at a later date if there are changes to LW. Over 500 plugins is a pretty hefty amount.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Particularly given how LW group seemed to actively accommodate ODtools for LW 2019. 2020 was apparently not enough to keep him in the fold.

Frequenter
    If that´s really correct info, it´s really sad news... :-(
    well, I see quite a difference between bug fixes and changes. And I do not read anything about changes in the citation on the website... I wonder what would that mean in regards to support for a (hopefully soon) Lw2020?!?

Well Oliver did say he is concentrating more on Houdini and tools for Houdini. I cant blame him one bit, if he has moved to Houdini then why waste time on LW, Houdini must suit his pipeline and good luck to him. LW is slowly losing third party developers anyway, ive not heard from Steve Hurley for ages, i was looking forward to UP and Advanced Placement updates as well. Its a sad state of afairs when we lose developers but they are after all a business and must go where the time and money is. We still have a few but for how long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Particularly given how LW group seemed to actively accommodate ODtools for LW 2019. 2020 was apparently not enough to keep him in the fold.
    I don't know what is in 2020 and if Oliver was a beta tester or not. Maybe he has seen that there really was not much else to make for LW apart from updates and bug fixes for 2020 and has decided to move on.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Let me clear this up for you guys.

ODTools is/was an insane amount of work, born out of decades of production experience and the use of Lightwave. Whenever I ran into something that I couldn't natively do, or was cumbersome to do, I came up with a solution to let me continue to use Lightwave in a much more efficient manner than using vanilla Lightwave. As a user of Lightwave for 27 years, developing these plugins and with that enhancing my use of Lightwave was simply the path I had chosen that worked for me at the time. NONE of its development, was at ANY POINT driven by trying to sell a product, getting rich quick or any other monetary goal. If any of that was a goal, ODTools would have never grown to what it is today, and would have died a long time ago. Lightwave isn't the platform where having any of those motivations makes sense.

So why does it exist. Well, its because I needed it. Noone would write these tools for me (not that it is easy, because unless you have the production experience, you are not going to come up with half the things, even though once you know about them, they make perfect sense. It was a passion project, that first and foremost "I" needed for myself and my company, because I/We loved using Lightwave. People working for me, where always prying to release some of these tools so I opted to make some of the stuff available where I thought it made sense.

Thats how you end up with 520+ tools. (of the ones that were released)

Having watched and worked with some of the LW developers through the years allowed for massive additions
    in OD2018 / OD2019 which greatly enhanced Lightwave. Keep in mind ODTools first was released in 2015. It was truly fun at the beginning but became very exhausting towards the end. The pace of how LW gets developed, finding ways to get hooks included by circumventing "official" roadblocks that get thrown in your face all the time, just became too exhausting, no fun at all.
    The "roadblocks" of course are not coming from the entire team, just parts of it. I won't point fingers though, as none of it would change anything from where we are today. It is simply how it is.
    At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if working with an application and its developers like this is really what its supposed to be like.

The Answer for myself is No, but it took me a while to figure it out and be prepared to make a change. Therefore, In february, I made the choice to switch to Houdini, and dropped Lightwave. My passion for 3D work has been reignited, and its like you've been born again. Since starting with Houdini all the love for 3D/VFX and in general the industry as a whole has been coming back. Its the same fresh excitement I felt when I started my Journey.

ODShelftools for Houdini was born pretty much right away, and, as you can imagine, is an ever growing toolset along the lines of what ODTools was for Lightwave. But, I won't bore people with Houdini talk, thats not what this post is about.

Where does it leave ODTools for Lightwave. ODTools for lightwave will live on, for as long as Newtek/Vizrt/whoever might be in charge allows it to run. This doesn't just go for odtools, but all the plugins I have created for lightwave. ODTools, Uberpass, Workspaces, PieMenu, Substance Reader.
    I will continue to fix bugs as they are reported and can be fixed, but there will be no new plugin development for Lightwave. It will continue to be for sale, as the tools still provide an insane amount of value.
    Again, keep in mind, that the toolset has over 520 tools, and, IF you are using lightwave, you SHOULD have the toolset.

Hope this clears it up for everyone, there's no need for speculations or interpretations.

Best,
    Oliver
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    ... Therefore, In february, I made the choice to switch to Houdini, and dropped Lightwave. My passion for 3D work has been reignited, and its like you've been born again. Since starting with Houdini all the love for 3D/VFX and in general the industry as a whole has been coming back. Its the same fresh excitement I felt when I started my Journey.
    Thank you Oliver for your detailed explanation!

Yes I know this feeling, I had a similar experience when switching to Cinema as main application.

What I've seen from Houdini Indie so far is great and is the only one application worth subscribing for me. But its a huge rabbit hole.

Thank you also for developing your plugins (and the frequent updates / additions), I can strongly recommended them to any LW user.

Frequenter
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Even if I personally find it really, really sad to hear, it sounds quite understandable from that perspective... :-\
    I am only using a certain number of OD Tools on a regular basis - basically each time the need came along I was checking if OD Tools offered a solution and was being astonished every time again with what ingenuity you have come up.
    Your tools are a great addition to LW and hope they will still be so also for an (hopefully soon) upcoming LW2020

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    ...Your tools are a great addition to LW and hope they will still be so also for an (hopefully soon) upcoming LW2020
    Agreed on the "great addition". However...

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/07...pment-horizon/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Im sure Oliver will update the tools for Python 3 and 2020.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    Let me clear this up for you guys.

Where does it leave ODTools for Lightwave. ODTools for lightwave will live on, for as long as Newtek/Vizrt/whoever might be in charge allows it to run. This doesn't just go for odtools, but all the plugins I have created for lightwave. ODTools, Uberpass, Workspaces, PieMenu, Substance Reader.
    I will continue to fix bugs as they are reported and can be fixed, but there will be no new plugin development for Lightwave. It will continue to be for sale, as the tools still provide an insane amount of value.
    Again, keep in mind, that the toolset has over 520 tools, and, IF you are using lightwave, you SHOULD have the toolset.

Hope this clears it up for everyone, there's no need for speculations or interpretations.

Best,
    Oliver
    Thanks for clearing things up and explaining where things are at with OD Tools. I find the preset system extremely useful for my work in this collection of plugins. Thank you for making it and continuing to support OD Tools so it continues to work with Lightwave.

If this is the end of the road for new development in OD Tools then I guess I should update to the OD Tools 2019 sometime soon so I can get the latest tools and bug fixes.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 01-09-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Im sure Oliver will update the tools for Python 3 and 2020.
    I cannot make any promises as to what the compatibility with future Lightwave versions might be. What gets added/removed by Newtek is completely out of my control. For now, it works great with Lightwave 2019, and since there's no lw2020 currently, thats all i can see.
    Last edited by oliverhotz; 01-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast