Thread: Controlling TRICASTER TC-1 Remotely

waymo2001

Controlling TRICASTER TC-1 Remotely

Greetings All and a Happy New Year 2020 !

I have a customer who is requesting the capability to be able to remotely control actions on a TC-1 across a network from a remote location. This is a Municipal customer who has a City wide network that is planning to hook-up an NDI camera for remote connectivity to the TC-1. iget that when that's connected, you'll see the NDI camera at teh TC-1 workstation and can control it. But the added twist is now also remotely controlling the TC-1 ?!?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I welcome any comments or feedback.

Wayne Brenengen, Colorado Technology Company
    Denver, Colorado

"waymo2001"

The Premium Access subscription is supposed to provide an NDI-based KVM extension to allow you to remotely control the TriCaster. Assuming the city network lets the traffic through, that would probably do it. That's a subscription based service. https://www.newtek.com/npa/

Or I'd be looking for an IP-based KVM extender. Something like this would probably do the trick. https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/alif100p-dvi.html

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    The Premium Access subscription is supposed to provide an NDI-based KVM extension to allow you to remotely control the TriCaster. Assuming the city network lets the traffic through, that would probably do it. That's a subscription based service. https://www.newtek.com/npa/

Or I'd be looking for an IP-based KVM extender. Something like this would probably do the trick. https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/alif100p-dvi.html

Kris
    I agree with Kris's ideas. I would suggest though a different part from Adder. The iPeps+ will give you access to the TriCaster from either internal or external IPs if you need it. It uses VNC as the display method so you could also use an iPad or phone to dial into the machine too. https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ipeps-plus.html Tremendous bang for the buck at $795
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I've had reasonably good results with TeamViewer. I know that some are concerned with CPU load, but I've not experienced any issues with it on an 8000. Likely even fewer issues with a TC1.

You can try it for free, as well, before you'd invest. If you don't want to install it there's a portable version which only is running as long as you wish and exits completely when shutdown.

Finally, there's also a "knock off" version called remote utilities which allows one to run their own DDNS server, for higher security. However some concerns have been raised because that software is from a Russian software house.

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

I have been using teamviewer for many years, controlling several PC´s, TC1 and IO modules. Ive had good experience with it. One thing to keep in mind, you need to turn off the hardware acceleration feature in the teamviewer advanced settings. This is to make sure you dont affect the GPU of the systems.

Adding to this, using any external software on a production unit (TC1) would be at your responsibility off course. One way to not take any chances would be to use NDI KVM as mentioned earlier. I can recommend you do teamviewer to a pc at the remote location and from this PC you can do NDI KVM to the TC1.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Brundin View Post
    Adding to this, using any external software on a production unit (TC1) would be at your responsibility off course. One way to not take any chances would be to use NDI KVM as mentioned earlier. I can recommend you do teamviewer to a pc at the remote location and from this PC you can do NDI KVM to the TC1.
    I've also found that the performance of TeamViewer into a PC using NDI KVM is better than trying to TeamViewer (or some other solution) directly on the TriCaster itself (not to mention that it isn't recommend anyways).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.