Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing wires effect

Growing wires effect

Hello guys! I'm trying to reproduce a cool effect I've seen in the Facebook Lightwave user group I think.
    Wires start growing and end up forming a shape (a Skull in this example)
    I've tried with FiberFX, the result looks good but there is no option to make the hair strand "grow" along the guide. The scale setting just scale the whole hair up and down, without changing It's shape.

Then I tried a different approach, with the same guides but using the negative value edge trick, and DPkit Shifter node. Almost there, except that there is a link created between a polychain and the next, straight flickering lines as you will see in the video:

Thank you

If you have multiple line polychains as one object,
    try Shifter node with "From Top" option,

with Edge render you may still have artefacts between polychains,
    depends of the speed of the animation.

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 01-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Wow, and answer from the master himself!
    Yeap, that solved the issue. I didn't even try It, I assumed It was more complicated than that (and I tried feeding some ID infos and parts in the network)
    Thank you sir!
    The fiberfx way was interesting as well, especially given that there are other settings to twist and curl, attract up and down with gravity, etc. Unfortunately, there is no real length option, only scaling the whole hair strand up and down.

TrueArt Support
    Assign weight map to 2 point poly lines, values 0,1,2,3... etc
    Then in Node Editor in LW 2018-2019 use following nodal network: if weight map value >= time clip 100%, otherwise 0%.
    In older LW you can use Transparency 100%, otherwise 0%.

I made Modeler tool Weight Polygon Groups, which can do it really fast.
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...tPolygonGroups

Above video shows how to do it in LW 11.x with help of TrueArt's Node Library.
    In LW 2018-2019 replace it by using Clip feature.

You could try using two weight maps (add/subtract/multiply them in Node Editor). Second one will be used as offset (add/sub) or scale (multiply), so there will be delay visible on these poly chains.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-07-2020 at 12:32 PM.

That's very cool Sensei! Your Weight polygon plugin is very powerful!

ok, here is the final test with Denis help... added a displacement on the polychains ...

Frequenter
    That is a very cool effect. Looking great, Marchermitte!
    The timing could use a wee bit of art direction, especially at around 0:08, plops into place a bit too fast in the end IMHO but as you say "test" even if "final test" You probably will fine tune it anyway :-)

Yes, I agree. I thought of rendering at 12 fps to emulate stop motion style. Another option would be to have all the curves starting at the same time, I could keep a slower pace to grow them all together then and keep the anim short. And some proper background, maybe contact shadows a well... Plus I could animate the skull at the same time the curves are growing.

Question (to Denis?)
    What if I wanted all the specific polychains to start growing at the same time? I'm trying without sucess... is there a way other than copying each on a separate layer?

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    What if I wanted all the specific polychains to start growing at the same time? I'm trying without sucess... is there a way other than copying each on a separate layer?
    Shifter node works strictly with point order,
    so for simultaneous growing effect, points of polychain should be generated in parallel,
    may be possible with a rail generation all starting points in one layer and splines on another.

Denis.

Ok... simple solution is to use Fertilizer with the same weight map on all polychain, easy with weight outward plugin. I'd still like to try your approach as It's more interesting/satisfying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    ...may be possible with a rail generation all starting points in one layer and splines on another...
    If you want to toggle your polychains in splines,
    https://people.dsv.su.se/~dadu9329/evenflow3d/
    the script is at bottom of the page.
    copy all first point in another layer, make point-polys,
    try Rail extrude, select splines as background layer,
    take the larger spline as reference
    for a correct balanced number of points, because all polychain must have
    the same number of points.

Then Shifter base point should be set to the number of polychain,
    "From Bottom" option.

Denis.

Thank you, the convert to spline script is very handy. Drawback is, I've got 410 spline in the background, of course rail extrude won't work with that number, and I'd end up copying the curves in separate layers + their respective 1rst points in their own. Unless there is a plugin to rail extrude 410 curves at once with the closest polygon (1 point poly in this example)
    Your technique is useful for smaller number of curves, It will come handy someday.

Another alternative,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partmove_shifter.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	146569

Part Index is multiplied by the number of point of polychain - 1,
    (polychain must have the same number of polys),
    Shifter node set with one point and "From Top".

Tested with 3 polychains…

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 01-08-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Ah, that's so cool!
    Thank you again Denis! You rock!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast