Thread: Changing Pivot Location....or..how do I change a foot control's pivot mid-animation..

Changing Pivot Location....or..how do I change a foot control's pivot mid-animation..

Im working on an animation and I have a character that turns around....my problem is getting the foot controller turned around, while pivoting the foot on the toe, rather tan the heel (which is unnatural).

If I use the toe control to swing the foot around, it moves away from the controller, which makes aligning them again a pain (without the foot sliding all over the place), as well as causing undesirable effects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-06 20.43.16.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	146563

Ive racked my brain on how to do this and would welcome any ideas..specially ones that dont require me to rebuild the rig..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

I found a rather simple and elegant method that doesnt require me to rebuild the rig....I can simply animate my ankle controller along the z axis to put the toe in the center of the foot controller..then when I need I can move it back to its base position for normal operation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-06 22.33.31.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	146564
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Rigs like this are designed to be animated in a very particular way, so with Genoma1 and 2 (and all other rigs similar to them), you need to think about how the controls are related and keep track of how you keyframe everything. Just know that you will eventually need to supplement rigs with your own rigging for those situations where it becomes impractical or impossible to continue animating... aside from that, it can also save you a lot of time too. Say you want to make a character pull a lever, knowing how to attach the hand to the lever and turn that action into a single control will save you tons of time.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Indeed. I do have a more complex rig I was making, but ran into some headscratchers, so I put it on hold. I was able to modifiy a genoma rig to do what I need it to do..though I had forgotten toe pivoting...but luckily, shifting the ankle position back when I need works just fine (as long as I remember to shift it back...hehe)
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube