Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Development of LWCAD 3ds Max terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    In Lw this is impossible to do right now, without any plugin.
    And not just any plugin, it has to be a C++ plugin, because you can't provide real interactive feedback using python or lscript in Modeler.

Even with that said, I've never felt that I needed more than what LWCad offers... Themespace (a archviz company I do a lot of work for) often demands that my models are built to high accuracy specifications, and LWcad delivers that accuracy and control to my designs.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Of course it takes some time to setup the the parametric aspect of a window if you do it by yourself without an addon, no question. What I'm saying, is that it's possible to setup a parametric window without any addon if you want to, you said it could not be done. That's all.

Here's a proof of concept...
    Attachment 146562
    Great showcase there, and since I believe you built it based on modifiers only and not using the addons, and customized your own parameters, you are able to go in there at any time later after working on other parts of the model and then go back and change window amount ..right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    And not just any plugin, it has to be a C++ plugin, because you can't provide real interactive feedback using python or lscript in Modeler.

Even with that said, I've never felt that I needed more than what LWCad offers... Themespace (a archviz company I do a lot of work for) often demands that my models are built to high accuracy specifications, and LWcad delivers that accuracy and control to my designs.
    The situation may arrive when someone looks at a concept art building you provided..and want´s to change window types or dimensions..maybe depending on something else in the scene requiring such change.
    I suspect archviz companies may have their demands layed out more distinctively in the beginning, thus maybe not the need for such changes afterward.
    For me it´s just a matter of personal freedom and flexibility in the worklow in a software that would further simply enhance that very freedoom to change it as you see fit, without deleting and redoing elements from scratch again.

That said, lw cad seem to have evolved, and with presets you can make a lot of variants so the deletion and redoing of a new wall of new types of windows may not be so much of an issue, unless it becomes a matter of a small change of existing windows, to adjust dimenstion or rounding..and you simply can not have that many presets covering all the options of change.

Of course it takes some time to setup the the parametric aspect of a window if you do it by yourself without an addon, no question. What I'm saying, is that it's possible to setup a parametric window without any addon if you want to, you said it could not be done. That's all.

Here's a proof of concept...
    Attachment 146562
    That kind of parametric or procedural workflow is cool and probably comes in very useful for certain kinds of projects where you can anticipate what elements will likely need to be changed. The extra time to set it up plus overhead required in large scenes full of these parametric modeled objects means that for me in most arch viz projects parametric tools are overkill and just not worthwhile for my work. I can see where these kind of tools could be useful in some situations.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post

Yes I totally agree that LWCAD tools give the accuracy needed for Arch Viz or any other modeling that needs to be super accurate.

I used to work at a Arch Viz studio where we modeled using AutoCAD for many years with custom in house scripts. I had to use and learn their workflow so anyone could update or work on any one project if needed. It was very painful and time consuming compared to the ease of use with LWCAD and Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yes I totally agree that LWCAD tools give the accuracy needed for Arch Viz or any other modeling that needs to be super accurate.
    I'm interested what makes LWCAD more accurate then other 3D software. Or you mean compared to standard LW?

Other 3D applications have built-in snapping, work planes, quantizing, guidelines, measure and align tools. These are integrated into the application core and work with all other tools unlike LWCAD in LW.

Why is LWCAD more accurate?
    Last edited by Marander; 01-07-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Great showcase there, and since I believe you built it based on modifiers only and not using the addons, and customized your own parameters, you are able to go in there at any time later after working on other parts of the model and then go back and change window amount ..right?
    Yes, you can change everything all the time.

That kind of parametric or procedural workflow is cool and probably comes in very useful for certain kinds of projects where you can anticipate what elements will likely need to be changed. The extra time to set it up plus overhead required in large scenes full of these parametric modeled objects means that for me in most arch viz projects parametric tools are overkill and just not worthwhile for my work. I can see where these kind of tools could be useful in some situations.
    Yes, that is always an issue you have to consider in every project, do you anticipate a lot of changes later on or not and does the parametric part save more time than it takes to setup. I just love to have the ability to choose how to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I'm interested what makes LWCAD more accurate then other 3D software. Or you mean compared to standard LW?

Other 3D applications have built-in snapping, work planes, quantizing, guidelines, measure and align tools. These are integrated into the application core and work with all other tools unlike LWCAD in LW.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

LW CAD is more accurate than modelling in 3ds Max (the only example for me, because I use it at work)... in 3dsmax, I can draw splines/curves out, and get a reading on the length, type it in and get it exact... but, when it comes to doing updates, moving points around, it becomes a huge mess. You can't easily and quickly, grab a load of points and then move them 10mm down on the X axis without opening up the translate panel. Typing in the amount and then rinse and repeat. LWCAD with LW makes it really easy to make accurate adjustments to your splines/meshes. Much easier than in 3ds Max, in my opinion.

3dsmax makes it more of a fight to be accurate at all times with distances and things. Constantly having to grab the measure tool, setting snap locations and double-checking measurements.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    LW CAD is more accurate than modelling in 3ds Max (the only example for me, because I use it at work)... in 3dsmax, I can draw splines/curves out, and get a reading on the length, type it in and get it exact... but, when it comes to doing updates, moving points around, it becomes a huge mess. You can't easily and quickly, grab a load of points and then move them 10mm down on the X axis without opening up the translate panel. Typing in the amount and then rinse and repeat. LWCAD with LW makes it really easy to make accurate adjustments to your splines/meshes. Much easier than in 3ds Max, in my opinion.

3dsmax makes it more of a fight to be accurate at all times with distances and things. Constantly having to grab the measure tool, setting snap locations and double-checking measurements.
    I've watched videos of guys who are supposed to be experienced modeling architecture in 3DS Max and it looked so incredibly slow and painful compared to modeling in Lightwave with LWCAD. This always makes me wonder why people put up with using 3DS Max to begin with for this kind of work.

This always makes me wonder why people put up with using 3DS Max to begin with for this kind of work.
    Because that's all they know about.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Sounds tedious working with 3DSMax, I have never used it due to its UI and licensing.

Nevertheless it seems to be powerful and popular.

Efficiency depends alot on how it's used (shortcuts vs mouse, preparing useful guidelines for snapping, different workflows etc). But it doesn't make it less accurate.

I've watched videos of guys who are supposed to be experienced modeling architecture in 3DS Max and it looked so incredibly slow and painful compared to modeling in Lightwave with LWCAD. This always makes me wonder why people put up with using 3DS Max to begin with for this kind of work.
    These days it’s much easier to build in Revit and then surface/render in 3dsMax (if that’s your flavour).
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    These days it’s much easier to build in Revit and then surface/render in 3dsMax (if that’s your flavour).
    I suspect the whole deal of working with BIM information, getting real data from manufacturers of windows, beams, doors..at your hand while doing the construction of a house matters a lot, with lwcad..you have none of these things as I understand it.
    And as mentioned, go in there and pick another constructor, material from what is out there in the real world..is a different matter than grabbing presets from your own library without any connection to the real construction market?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast