Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Development of LWCAD 3ds Max terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Another reason may be the slow development pace.
    The “slowness” is I think forgivable due to the complete rewrite of his code. Once he gets all the kinks worked out I can imagine that the pace will pick up.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Is it right that LWCAD has capabilty way beyond architecture ? Like parametric primitives - is that when one is able to do, say, a hundred modelling steps and can edit any single step and it will update to ripple down the chain ?
    In LW you get additional tools that are missing like snapping, Rounder, Profile etc. There is no parametric workflow in LWCAD for LW, all operations are destructive.

In LWCAD for C4D object parameters can be modified later and combined with parametric modifiers or generators.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-05-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    The “slowness” is I think forgivable due to the complete rewrite of his code. Once he gets all the kinks worked out I can imagine that the pace will pick up.
    Yes I think so too. The rewrite of the core tools /primitives / TR stuff was important and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post

... Real time interactive booleans are also a favorite of mine. These are the tools I use the most for my work.
    If you work with Booleans you should maybe have a look or watch demos of BoxCutter, HardOps, KitOps, Fluent, SpeedFlow and similar tools. For architectural grass Scatter and Graswald.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Is it right that LWCAD has capabilty way beyond architecture ? Like parametric primitives - is that when one is able to do, say, a hundred modelling steps and can edit any single step and it will update to ripple down the chain ?
    If you do Arch Viz, then it is a massive help.
    If you don’t it is also a massive help, if you do modelling get it.
    I havn’t done AViz for many years, but there are so many tools that really enhance modeller which I use all the time.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    If you work with Booleans you should maybe have a look or watch demos of BoxCutter, HardOps, KitOps, Fluent, SpeedFlow and similar tools. For architectural grass Scatter and Graswald.
    I use the LWCAD interactive booleans mainly to cut in windows and cut polygons to the desired shape along an axis.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    strange, thought the 3DSmax community would run for such a plugin.

seem to me they don't know what they're missing out on.

time for NT to hire Viktor by the way.

Their biggest community is largely based of pirated/non licensed versions of Max, which is what Viktor was alluding to. AD know this and even admit it.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I use the LWCAD interactive booleans mainly to cut in windows and cut polygons to the desired shape along an axis.
    Lookin forward to theThe day when it comes to parametricly change window size and also change window type, rather than deleting it and add new preset windows.
    In blender you can not go in parametricly to change a window either, only parametricly change the holes from the realtime booleans, and the array cloning of it.

As for Max terminated LW cad, no wonder if the issue is what is stated, and LW cad would also wrestle with AD own arch tools, autocad, revit which will be much more prometed as the thing to use than any 3rd party developer tool trying to get in at an early stage..only if the tool is soo much better or provide something unique that simply can not be done with AD tools..only then I could see it gaining reputation and promotion.

This means more focus on Lightwave,or perhaps cinema and modo, and if done right inside of layout and parametrical enhancements, it will probably boost the Reputation of Lightwave and LW cad to yet another level not seen before..but I think this means massive Layout modeling implementation for that to happen, and I have not clue on where the development is at this stage, if any on that area that is?

Communication from either Victor or the LW team that indeed such development is progressing, would in fact gain more interest from current and potentional Lightwave customers.
    Had I known about it being under development, I would actually consider purchasing LW cad already to gain maybe a discount when updates comes, but without that proper Layout intergration of parametricly changable elements..it just becomes less interesting and motivation to purchase goes down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Lookin forward to theThe day when it comes to parametricly change window size and also change window type, rather than deleting it and add new preset windows.
    In blender you can not go in parametricly to change a window either, only parametricly change the holes from the realtime booleans, and the array cloning of it.
    What you're seeking is precisely how the LWCAD objects work in C4D (and presumably Max): Until/unless you flatten the object(s) back into polys, objects remain parametric, and you can apply deformers (bend, twist, bevel/fillet/chamfer, etc.) to them keeping them parametric, and go back and alter the original object parameters while everything stays "live". Modo's parametric objects work that way as well, and I agree, Modo would be a "good fit" for LWCAD as well (but market might not be big enough to justify dev work, unlike C4Ds).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Practically, if usage of LW is shifting more towards Modeler side than Layout side, then that's all the more reason the devs need to pursue a "fast path" strategy for non-destructive modeling of some sort -- but such modeling obviously also has to support a "modern" level of common infrastructure like guides/inference/snapping, falloffs, and action constraints. Problem is, between all those needs, as well as existing fix/upgrade needs like sub-d's, UV toolset, and others, it's hard to see how all of that can get "quickly fixed". Just fixing any couple of those issues isn't likely adequate to make Modeler again "competitive enough".

Feels like they're facing quite an uphill battle no matter what.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-06-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    What you're seeking is precisely how the LWCAD objects work in C4D (and presumably Max): Until/unless you flatten the object(s) back into polys, objects remain parametric, and you can apply deformers (bend, twist, bevel/fillet/chamfer, etc.) to them keeping them parametric, and go back and alter the original object parameters while everything stays "live". Modo's parametric objects work that way as well, and I agree, Modo would be a "good fit" for LWCAD as well (but market might not be big enough to justify dev work, unlike C4Ds).
    Uhmm..yeah, I am not keen on investing in cinema4D though, but its funny..or sad, which ever way you choose to take it, that cool plugins originally designed for Lightwave, such as TurbulenceFD and LW cad, seem to have more funtionality and features working better in Cinema4D than it does in Lightwave..the core, the core

Actually, I think you can do that in blender. You can also use addons like archimesh( included with blender) or archipack to do it even easier with presets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Actually, I think you can do that in blender. You can also use addons like archimesh( included with blender) or archipack to do it even easier with presets.
    Not so sure of that, archimesh, donīt have that kind of array tools for windows, and can not be autodrilled booleans in to any of your own mesh created walls,..at least I havenīt gotten that to work with such as ease as you can do in LW cad, well..you have to select both the mesh and the ctrl hole..then activate autoboolean brush, then it is drilled, but in lw cad you just draw the windows on to the mesh..and the hole is autodrilled at once, so a little more steps, archipack may have autodrilled..but
    Archipack..never gotten that to work...need to look in to using it properly though.

It may be possible to set up your own drill objects..with array modifier, that also is parented to your own premade windows, the trick is to get it to work with changing depth, width and height on only one window element and all the drilling and arrays should follow.

The difference lays in the workflow..where in lw cad you just specify amount of windows directly in the tool, and it autodrills directly, while with archimesh, you need to add boolean modifiers, and array modifiers, so easier to setup in Lightwave and more window types to choose from ..including building your own, but there it stops, once the tool is dropped, you have to erase them and redo new ones as you want them for any change, while in blender since they are modifiers, you can go in and adjust arrays for instance without having to delete them, but then again, itīs not as easy there either to change window type, adjusting window size and width would be easier than in Lightwave though.

If you now of the workflow of cloning, array the windows with the autodrill hole as well, in a one go parameter so you set amount of windows..with ease..as you can in LIghtwave, let me know, that means, not engaging in tedious setup of modifiers and parenting of holes and windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Practically, if usage of LW is shifting more towards Modeler side than Layout side, then that's all the more reason the devs need to pursue a "fast path" strategy for non-destructive modeling of some sort -- but such modeling obviously also has to support a "modern" level of common infrastructure like guides/inference/snapping, falloffs, and action constraints. Problem is, between all those needs, as well as existing fix/upgrade needs like sub-d's, UV toolset, and others, it's hard to see how all of that can get "quickly fixed". Just fixing any couple of those issues isn't likely adequate to make Modeler again "competitive enough".

Feels like they're facing quite an uphill battle no matter what.
    You know..I think they do have a upphill battle no matter what, it wasnīt solved with the core agenda, and not years after that, then they got this guy doing wonderful stuff with LW cad, and much more advanced in cinema4D it seems, to make this battle less hard to fight I would guess they would need to have that Soldier being in the right army, and and talk to him how he fougth that battle with cinema4D and get the insight on how to rearmour Lightwave to be as capable in the battle.

Maybe they can not hire him as full employed developer, but maye enhance the collaboration even more to solve these issues, he should know what the issues are, if it somehow turns out to be a quite impossible task to complete for these upcoming 2-3 years of lightwave development, then Victor should consider even dropping the Lightwave development of LW cad, since I donīt think neither the plugin will be returning any good sales..nor will the future of Lightwave as modeling package go anywhere near where it needs to be, and that is something I would never invest in, so to me itīs a question of having LW cad as good as in any other software..or it has no meaning for me to invest in it in Lightwave.

Not so sure of that, archimesh, donīt have that kind of array tools for windows, and can not be autodrilled booleans in to any of your own mesh created walls,..at least I havenīt gotten that to work with such as ease as you can do in LW cad, well..you have to select both the mesh and the ctrl hole..then activate autoboolean brush, then it is drilled, but in lw cad you just draw the windows on to the mesh..and the hole is autodrilled at once, so a little more steps, archipack may have autodrilled..but
    Archipack..never gotten that to work...need to look in to using it properly though.

It may be possible to set up your own drill objects..with array modifier, that also is parented to your own premade windows, the trick is to get it to work with changing depth, width and height on only one window element and all the drilling and arrays should follow.

The difference lays in the workflow..where in lw cad you just specify amount of windows directly in the tool, and it autodrills directly, while with archimesh, you need to add boolean modifiers, and array modifiers, so easier to setup in Lightwave and more window types to choose from ..including building your own, but there it stops, once the tool is dropped, you have to erase them and redo new ones as you want them for any change, while in blender since they are modifiers, you can go in and adjust arrays for instance without having to delete them, but then again, itīs not as easy there either to change window type, adjusting window size and width would be easier than in Lightwave though.

If you now of the workflow of cloning, array the windows with the autodrill hole as well, in a one go parameter so you set amount of windows..with ease..as you can in LIghtwave, let me know, that means, not engaging in tedious setup of modifiers and parenting of holes and windows.

Of course it takes some time to setup the the parametric aspect of a window if you do it by yourself without an addon, no question. What I'm saying, is that it's possible to setup a parametric window without any addon if you want to, you said it could not be done. That's all.

In Lw this is impossible to do right now, without any plugin.

Here's a proof of concept...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-01-07_02-53-09.gif 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	146562
    Last edited by Ztreem; 01-06-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast