Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Not communicating releases is not going to increase sales, but it's likely to lose some.
    To be fair, in such case we have to look at it in a different perspective, there is no current Lightwave 2020 release, ergo you would have to discuss Pre-releases.
    That said..I agree with you that Pre-releases should be communicated better, especially with Vizrt as new owners.

Not sure what they are afraid of? perhaps the risc of not beingable to keep the predicted release time, or to put extra stress on the Lightwave coders?
    In such case it is still better to mention a planned release, and if they can not deliver at the time, just communicate that it will be delayed a bit, that is better than nothing.

I seriously question the philosophy of better say nothing than anything, the first will give users nothing, while the latter will giver users something.

Not communicating releases is not going to increase sales, but it's likely to lose some.
    Obviously, yes. Communicating releases is a vital, and they will no doubt communicate the release of lw2020 when it happens. We are talking about hyping releases before hand and more specifically teasing specific features before they are available. That makes sense in businesses where you have a limited release window or a need to compete for retailer shelf space. Where the market needs to be primed in other words. I don’t think 3d software necessarily benefits from that unless the features you plan to hype are truly groundbreaking.

The first thing I do when contemplating a software purchase is check the forum, if it has one. Then I look at activity -- so Lightwave would pass those checks. Then check complaints and if there's a road map. This is where it would start to fall apart (for me.) Also, seeing there's a new owner and no or little communication is worrisome.

I can't imagine someone that depends on their software for their livelihood would feel. Can't understand how that strategy is good for business, buyer or seller.
    03Jul20: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v451.48 (24Jun20)

The first thing I do when contemplating a software purchase is check the forum, if it has one. Then I look at activity -- so Lightwave would pass those checks. Then check complaints and if there's a road map. This is where it would start to fall apart (for me.) Also, seeing there's a new owner and no or little communication is worrisome. ..
    In absence of pre-release marketing from NewTek, it is probably best that we engage in counter-marketing by endlessly speculating. Why should we alone be worried? Let's freak out every possible new customer with our own FUD. Let's kill off any potential sales that can further fund development.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

TBF, NewTek did release an update in response to this very thread, so I think that's a plus. For me, I'm still trying to master all that LW can do right now, so I'm okay as is for now and happy with 2019.

The first thing I do when contemplating a software purchase is check the forum, if it has one. Then I look at activity -- so Lightwave would pass those checks. Then check complaints and if there's a road map. This is where it would start to fall apart (for me.) Also, seeing there's a new owner and no or little communication is worrisome.

I can't imagine someone that depends on their software for their livelihood would feel. Can't understand how that strategy is good for business, buyer or seller.
    No normal human looks at a roadmap when considering new software. Either the software does what you want now or it doesn’t. Everything else is unicorns and fairy dust.

Also, I think LW2019 came out New Years Eve 2018 and momentum may have been swallowed in the holiday period, so a little delay isn't a bad thing. Given we are in early March, Kat did slip that it was the thirtieth anniversary for LW and that 2020 was shaping up to be very interesting. I suspect NT have put a one-size-fits-all NDA on just about everyone, which is clearly a different business method than Blender, and it is possible some people here know more than they are allowed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    No normal human looks at a roadmap when considering new software. Either the software does what you want now or it doesn’t. Everything else is unicorns and fairy dust.
    Uhmm..
    That I can´t agree on.

It works for you ..but not for me, then again..I do not consider myself normal.
    I mean, it won´t be the major factor to consider a software, but it sure will help a user to make a choice, what if blender (although being free except for addons) wouldn´t have presented their roadmaps, people would definitely be frustrated, and I have gotten things more clear to what to excpect...and as such I can in comfort decide to use it more than before.

Had I not known about what was going on with vdb tools for blender, I would probably use Lightwave´s VDB much more, but right now I am not investing too much time on it, until next lw release shows what´s improved.

I´s not a car you buy in to, you buy in to a software tool that comes with updates and development in a totally different manner, thus a roadmap if followed by the developers, will only help you as a customer, not make it harder for you.

roadmaps give confidence that those developing have some sort of plan and are motivated to make things better for the end user. Silence = zero confidence, especially with track record of deliverables and dev changes.

anyway, maybe this is of interest to alleviate the boredom? https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-till-November at the last page

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I heard that somewhere on this forum a while ago. Newtek hasn’t confirmed it, but why would they, people retire all the time. I think it would have been around the new year.
    Chuck's LinkedIn page says he retired in October.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

I know this is no easy task but I think what LW needs is one (or more) really cool feature that the other packages don't have. Like when 3D-Coat added auto-retopology and nobody else had it. I saw it get a lot of attention.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Also, I think LW2019 came out New Years Eve 2018 and momentum may have been swallowed in the holiday period, so a little delay isn't a bad thing.
    Not quite. It was released on January 22nd:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...cussion-Thread

I upgraded from LW2018 the same day it was released and have some funds set aside for LW2020 when it appears
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

I can wait as long as it takes but I do hope it comes before the 3rd quarter starts.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

If it takes much longer, they should skip LW2021.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

They are probably just dealing with last minute tweaks and killing bugs.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast