Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

I need time to get money together for the next release, so I can wait a little bit. My CC's are really hurting! I just hope that things work better than they do in the current release. Bugs are always hard to squash, both real and digital!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    In a recent LW users group meeting one of the devs all but stated that the several years of between paid upgrades is over. It's completely unsustainable. Expect yearly paid upgrades, a half dozen service packs and a point upgrade with a few enhancements. Basically what we saw with LW2019. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Oh, I agree always has been unsustainable in the long run. I have no problem with yearly updates and if it makes LW better then all the good. However, for me im mostly but not exclusively a modeler and it gets harder to justify upgrading all the time if nothing is going to happen on the modeler front. Whilst the changes in Layout and especially PBR are well-received overall, I would like to see some way ahead after the survey done by Chuck in 2018 as to modeler improvements.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    for those not on FB, someone just posted

"Recently got chances to talk to VizRt who bought over newtek. Is lightwave got any update this year 2020?... from what his facial expressions, ...no surprise...I hope it not truth... Anyway I believe acquisition need time to go over...ok. Back to work."

maybe nothing in it as its just his opinion nothing concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

for those not on FB, someone just posted

"Recently got chances to talk to VizRt who bought over newtek. Is lightwave got any update this year 2020?... from what his facial expressions, ...no surprise...I hope it not truth... Anyway I believe acquisition need time to go over...ok. Back to work."

maybe nothing in it as its just his opinion nothing concrete.
    What position in VizRt do this fellow have?
    and How close to the Lightwave team is his position?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    What position in VizRt do this fellow have?
    and How close to the Lightwave team is his position?
    He has clarified some more on the FB but nothing really new.

My bad, He does not work for vizRT he was just tagged. So anyway, i don't put much stock in it anyway.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 01-08-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    He has clarified some more on the FB but nothing really new, he is also on the discord LW channel.

My bad, He does not work for vizRT he was just tagged. So anyway, i don't put much stock in it anyway.
    Ok,

For me personally, even though I would want more Lightwave releases, and I think for itīs own survival they need to adress either bugfixes even more, or a feature release..but then I also want any new release to have significant features and significant enhancement of the newer technology and also renderspeed improvements, and I doubt we would see that if there was a release this upcoming month or the month after that.
    I would also be very reluctant to purchase it right now..due to some economic factors and also due to my focus is shifting more to another 3D software.

Thus the Lightwave team needs to proove and make a buzz about Lightwave taking some significant steps to catch up in many areas, and hopefully also introducing something innovative, I wouldnīt say a game changer, that I think is something the current team will not have enough resources to carry through, I suppose they need more developers, and apart from that..very skilled ones that possibly could program that magic button without too much research.

Ok,

For me personally, even though I would want more Lightwave releases, and I think for itīs own survival they need to adress either bugfixes even more, or a feature release..but then I also want any new release to have significant features and significant enhancement of the newer technology and also renderspeed improvements, and I doubt we would see that if there was a release this upcoming month or the month after that.
    I would also be very reluctant to purchase it right now..due to some economic factors and also due to my focus is shifting more to another 3D software.

Thus the Lightwave team needs to proove and make a buzz about Lightwave taking some significant steps to catch up in many areas, and hopefully also introducing something innovative, I wouldnīt say a game changer, that I think is something the current team will not have enough resources to carry through, I suppose they need more developers, and apart from that..very skilled ones that possibly could program that magic button without too much research.
    That is only going to happen if the new owners are willing to put the time and money into it. Personally I'm not convinced of this. It would be nice to get a statement from vizRT, but also i don't think that is going to happen. Like you i have been concentrating on other avenues just to futureproof myself.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Oh, I agree always has been unsustainable in the long run. I have no problem with yearly updates and if it makes LW better then all the good. However, for me im mostly but not exclusively a modeler and it gets harder to justify upgrading all the time if nothing is going to happen on the modeler front. Whilst the changes in Layout and especially PBR are well-received overall, I would like to see some way ahead after the survey done by Chuck in 2018 as to modeler improvements.
    Yes, I'm in the "same boat." Most of my use is with Modeler with LWCAD, and Victor seems to support earlier LW versions, so what incentives (for me) are there to keep upgrading if Modeler is basically the same, year-after-year?
    13Jan2020: Lightwave 2019.1.4 Build 3133, win10 pro 1909 build 535, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v441.81 (13Jan2020)

Thus the Lightwave team needs to proove and make a buzz about Lightwave taking some significant steps to catch up in many areas, and hopefully also introducing something innovative,
    The nice thing about the upgrade policy as it currently stands is that you can elect to skip releases and not get raped the next time you feel that they have updated the tools or added the features you need or desire. I think overall there are enough former and current LWers out there to make this a viable business model. For instance I have seen where users were on 9.6 and finally bought in on 2019 because they finally felt it had what they needed. And I'm sure the same will happen when 2023 rolls around and people will decide to upgrade their 2019.

So having a yearly release is good business for them, which may mean more investment in devs and/or marketing. Right now the only thing that I think would kill LW would be subscription. Keep the status quo in that regard and LW will be just fine.

As far as innovation goes, I don't think its all that crucial, they just need to improve the interface/workflows and address the other thousand issues.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

So having a yearly release is good business for them, which may mean more investment in devs and/or marketing. Right now the only thing that I think would kill LW would be subscription. Keep the status quo in that regard and LW will be just fine.
    I'm not sure what the VizRT business model is but if it's subscription based then it's likely only a matter of time before it trickles down to Lightwave. I prefer the current upgrade system even though I have never missed an upgrade. Even if I don't think the upgrade is essential for what I do I know I will at least get some bug fixes and by upgrading I will be continuing to support Lightwave development.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I'm not sure what the VizRT business model is but if it's subscription based then it's likely only a matter of time before it trickles down to Lightwave. I prefer the current upgrade system even though I have never missed an upgrade. Even if I don't think the upgrade is essential for what I do I know I will at least get some bug fixes and by upgrading I will be continuing to support Lightwave development.
    well, although most the website doesn't show anything about exactly how it works, they are actually quite open about their own financials, quarter 3 2019 makes interesting reading https://www.vizrt.com/vizrt/financial-reports
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I, like you Nick have kept my upgrades going even though as predominantly a modeler much of what was offered in 20119 did not really affect me. If it went subscription based then im not sure i would carry on upgrading.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 01-08-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

The nice thing about the upgrade policy as it currently stands is that you can elect to skip releases and not get raped the next time you feel that they have updated the tools or added the features you need or desire. I think overall there are enough former and current LWers out there to make this a viable business model. For instance I have seen where users were on 9.6 and finally bought in on 2019 because they finally felt it had what they needed. And I'm sure the same will happen when 2023 rolls around and people will decide to upgrade their 2019.

As far as innovation goes, I don't think its all that crucial, they just need to improve the interface/workflows and address the other thousand issues.
    I totally agree, however, i don't see much investment in new devs or marketing. In fact, you could say there is less of both. Chuck i believe has retired now. As far as i can tell they have not recruited a modeler dev yet.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Chuck i believe has retired now.
    Sad... always liked that fellow.   
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Sad... always liked that fellow.   
    What...not long ago he posted here?
    how old? and no farewell communication on the forum to bid him farewell?

2 months or so ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast