Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Newbie Member
    Chuck is gone and Tim Jenison is gone. That's not good for LightWave. I think Tim was the only reason LW has kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    they are actually quite open about their own financials, quarter 3 2019 makes interesting reading https://www.vizrt.com/vizrt/financial-reports
    It's good to see that they are very profitable and that the NT acquisition has given them positive returns.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    2 months or so ?
    After political debates in Sweden, since they concluded that the Swedish population lives longer and are healthier..the Parliament decided to change the rights to earliest start taking your general pension.. from the age of 61 to the agof of 62.
    Thatīs 2020, but 2023 it will go up to 63, and in 2026 it will go up even more..not sure there if it will b 64 or 67.

Which means I will probably not be eligible to take the pension until 64-67, I suspect 67, Iīm 54 now..and becomes 55 in october.
    My sisters Man is 68, and he took his pension at the age of 64-65 I think, almost...actually he was permitted from his job early, unemployed many months, only to find extr jobs, and that is what he has been doing since then..so he is still doing extra jobs, counting warehouse stuff etc..but he chooses how many days he wantīs to work, so he can work for 2 weeks, free 3-4 weeks, then 2 weeks again and so on, and he has his general pension and the pension from his company (occupational) and that extra jobs, and my sister also took an early pension, but they get buy decently.

So ..I need to get healthier cause I do not fit in to the concluded healthier statistics I dare to say.
    If I could choose, and depending on what I work with, should I continue to work in the more "normal" work section with duties such as administration, or production etc..I would like to go at 63-64, if I find a way to work with what I love to do..something in 3D or graphics and enjoying it, I could see myself taking pension at 67..provided my health also allows for it, good eyesight important.

If Chuck sees this, I wish him good wealth and health, I noticed his appearance in communicating better for some Lightwave stuff the last two years..so that was great.

yes, as long as the work isn't too much stress, i guess it is quite alright.

that said, personally i have so crazy many interests i would be fine with a pension. however, i'm 43... !

and it wouldn't be a "pension" for me really, since i'm no sofa guy.

   

If Chuck sees this, I wish him good wealth and health
    yes, always polite & professional.  
    Last edited by erikals; 01-08-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

From my understanding regarding VizRT and NewTek deal is that, even though VizRT owns NewTek, they are more like sister companies rather than "we own you" sort of deal.

As long as NewTek and LW3DG release a new version of LW every year, I'm not too concerned with the state of things. LW is a workhorse for real and I have no intentions to "go" (as in abandon LW) Blender nor Houdini on a personal level... and I do not see Massive Cinematics stop using LW for where we think we can use it for efficency in a pipline.

Tools are tools and LW is a great, easy to use and fast tool for many things.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

LW is a workhorse for real and I have no intentions to "go" (as in abandon LW) Blender nor Houdini on a personal level... and I do not see Massive Cinematics stop using LW for where we think we can use it for efficiency in a pipeline.
    several will stay, but NT also has to attract new potential customers.

LightWave = still applicable, tho slow to render (AA), and in dare need of a Modeler upgrade.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yes, as long as the work isn't too much stress, i guess it is quite alright.

that said, personally i have so crazy many interests i would be fine with a pension. however, i'm 43... !

and it wouldn't be a "pension" for me really, since i'm no sofa guy.

   

yes, always polite & professional.  
    As Ivé grown a couple of years older..probably starting with the mark of 47, and both mother and dad gone now, I have come to more and more think about trying to live for the day so to speak, or try to live more in the day.
    Hopefully I may get my pension in decent age, and have gathered enough income to live contently with that, but the important thing will be where my health is, and still having some family and friends around, a decent place I enjoy living in, and hobbies that I can pursue.

thereīs no guaranteeīs, a plane could scratch my head and make me even balder, a cat could scratch my eyes and I would no longer be able to do the 3D graphics I want...and Mr Joe black could come around screwing around with my head and black mail me to do what he says, otherwise he would call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    From my understanding regarding VizRT and NewTek deal is that, even though VizRT owns NewTek, they are more like sister companies rather than "we own you" sort of deal.

As long as NewTek and LW3DG release a new version of LW every year, I'm not too concerned with the state of things. LW is a workhorse for real and I have no intentions to "go" (as in abandon LW) Blender nor Houdini on a personal level... and I do not see Massive Cinematics stop using LW for where we think we can use it for efficency in a pipline.

Tools are tools and LW is a great, easy to use and fast tool for many things.
    Highly individual from any personal user, hobbiest is more likely to go elsewhere since the
    current rapid development of other great basic tools..that costs next to nothing, or just a little extra for some addons, and other more proffesional users, semi proīs will also look elsehwere, old seemingly hardcore users such as Lino Grandi, for him Lightwave is a dead product in the sense he has no need to use it anymore.
    Chris Jones must have been feed up with some of the development, or just found the other tool I mentioned suiting him better, william vaughan...and some more users, including myself using something else more and more...but not a complete switchover...Yet.
    I just get the impression that more and more folks around here, seem to be attracted to that upcomer, or go really deep in to houdini.

State of things, a couple of years ago, I could only see Lightwave as the tool of my choice..at that time Fprime was kind of unique in the industry, and that disappered to be replaced by VPR, but other renderers adapted that game changer, and in some cases has made it better in their own way, at that time I took advantage of Fprime to get Gym machine renders extremly fast within seconds and a few minutes, compared to Maxwell for instance, which could be wrangling for severall hours.

I appreciate though, that you jump in every now and then and speak about where and when Lightwave comes to the rescue in the work for massive cinematics, I think voices from you in cases like that matters a lot.

The render engine and materials and light did advance in realism,new fiberfx primitive, but also brought on some serious render times.
    New VDB tools brought on some cool interesting stuff, but aslo brought on some serious render time and simulation time.
    Modeling...and Layout intergration..uhmm.

My favourite is still the new volumetric item primitive, partly because they are despite some of the old hv workflow was destroyed, it still is one of the simplest to setup with lightwave, and also good looking..and renders decently fast...though I just wonder how fast it would perform with GPU.
    Then again, more realistic materials and lights for maxwell, as we now have in the current 2019 renderer, and sure...I could have used that as well when doing gym renders, it would have helped for more realistic and consistent materials and renderings.

would like to see some better mulitple scattering bouncing, increased rays doesnīt seem to do nothing, and increased indirect samples just clears up the noise and fixes quality, so it is the intensity that affects the scattering most, while in blender it seems to work much more as expected with multiple bouncing in a volume.
    And if they could implement infinite volume layers ..that would be something, and finally introduce a new better global scattering that is trule spectral and controllable in height and depth, then we really got something, but as with many of these new stuff..i suspect it will bring on very very sluggish renders...remember Ogo Taiki.

Fiberfx is useless to me nowadays due to the extreme slow vpr iteration as well as final render...itīs a shame since I wanted to take character renders up to a certain level with hair, but have to resort to some other 3d software to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Highly individual from any personal user, hobbiest is more likely to go elsewhere since the
    current rapid development of other great basic tools..that costs next to nothing, or just a little extra for some addons, and other more proffesional users, semi proīs will also look elsehwere, old seemingly hardcore users such as Lino Grandi, for him Lightwave is a dead product in the sense he has no need to use it anymore.
    Chris Jones must have been feed up with some of the development, or just found the other tool I mentioned suiting him better, william vaughan...and some more users, including myself using something else more and more...but not a complete switchover...Yet.
    I just get the impression that more and more folks around here, seem to be attracted to that upcomer, or go really deep in to houdini.
    Yep, obviously several developers and key users left LW.

Olivers' (OD) statements and the fact he dropped LW are also not assuring. No life signs or updates of developers like Hurley or RH. No integration of new tools like QuadRemesher. Without Oliver there would also still not be a Substance or Rizom integration for LW. Silence as usual from NewTek.

LW 2020 must deliver big time.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    well, although most the website doesn't show anything about exactly how it works, they are actually quite open about their own financials, quarter 3 2019 makes interesting reading https://www.vizrt.com/vizrt/financial-reports
    Actually their notes and numbers regarding the (Newtek) acquisition are VERY enlightening and informative (particularly the fair market value numbers for certain categories, and relative percentages to overall expense).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Olivers' (OD) statements and the fact he dropped LW are also not assuring.
    Cite / pointer please?
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-09-2020 at 04:01 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I'm a dotard with financial reports - is it good for LW or bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    After political debates in Sweden, since they concluded that the Swedish population lives longer and are healthier..the Parliament decided to change the rights to earliest start taking your general pension.. from the age of 61 to the agof of 62.
    Thatīs 2020, but 2023 it will go up to 63, and in 2026 it will go up even more..not sure there if it will b 64 or 67.
    The age at which you can claim your State Pension here in the UK has been increased from 65 to 67 over the past few years and looks likely to increase further with a target age of 70 being muted. Due to my age, I'll be 61 in February, I can still get mine when I hit 66 in 2025. If you were born around 1950, you still qualified at 65. I think IanR fell into that category. Nice to know there are still some places where you can retire at 'only' 62 or 63
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    The age at which you can claim your State Pension here in the UK has been increased from 65 to 67 over the past few years and looks likely to increase further with a target age of 70 being muted. Due to my age, I'll be 61 in February, I can still get mine when I hit 66 in 2025. If you were born around 1950, you still qualified at 65. I think IanR fell into that category. Nice to know there are still some places where you can retire at 'only' 62 or 63
    I reckon they looked at the area in the U.S where they live very long and applied it all over the states, gender, and class, I canīt recall which state it was they made a documentary about.
    Not very exciting.

My sister went three years ago at the age of 63, and it took maybe over a year before her stress levels went down, and now she is much more relaxed and none stressed out, so we are having much better conversations now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yep, obviously several developers and key users left LW.

Olivers' (OD) statements and the fact he dropped LW are also not assuring. No life signs or updates of developers like Hurley or RH. No integration of new tools like QuadRemesher. Without Oliver there would also still not be a Substance or Rizom integration for LW. Silence as usual from NewTek.

LW 2020 must deliver big time.
    Yes..Oliver, perhaps..guys like that as well.
    I need TurbulenceFD to really kick off as well for lightwave, it has gone too long time without any significant enhancement for it to better intergrate with Lightwave, that means additional PBR volumetrics, instead of converting to VDB, and weight emission, particle advection, fire and smoke opengl at the same time, and forces acting on both particles, rigid bodies as well as fluid in sync, it doesnīt in Lightwave, I get all that in blender for free...that said TFD holds some advantages, but yet too much lacking for my taste.

The difference is a fluid tool ..made from scratch to work with all blender dynamic forces and respecting the core of it, and not a third party dev working more off communication from the Lighwave group and the Lightwave sdk.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    In Poland, from 2017 retirement age for women is 60 and for mens is 65. Before this change age was slowly going to 67 for everyone. I will go on retire in 2054. Sad thing is goverment sometimes transfer money from one account to another with different name and take few percent from all this virtual savings ;] So will there be LightWave 2050?

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast