Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    I doubt modeller will have any love in the next release

Why release LW2019.1.5 with only a bug fix for the layers panel, that suggests that that is the only Modeller change,
    if Modeller was getting some much needed updates then the bug fix could have waited for the 2020 relaese,
    not least of which the Scene Editor in LW2019.1.x has a bug and no bug fix for that in LW2019.1.5!!

I think Layout will once again get all the love.
    Not necessarily. If Modeler gets a substantial upgrade it would most likely be a separate development stream. Therefore understandable they fix some current Modeler issues with a last patch. For Modeler I see no path further anyway but hope there are finally modeling tools in Layout.

Well I'm not holding my breath, but look foreward to being proved wrong...
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Hopefully this time LightWave 2020 is split into multiple modules:

1. Modeling
    2. Sculpting
    3. Painting
    4. Rigging
    5. Animation, incl. story management, pose library, lip-sync, preview and project management
    6. Surface Editing
    7. Lighting
    8. Color Management
    9. Rendering, incl. realtime rendering, optimization for distributed rendering and external rendering

Sales will expose the priorities that users are willing to pay for.
    Newtek could buy the missing modules to offer a complete package.

Can't wait ....

Dream on Vincent, i think.

I just hope for some modeler love in 2020, although i think i will be disappointed again.

I hope they have taken a serious look at the survey Chuck did it 2018 and hope to see some of this in the next few years.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 01-17-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Hopefully this time LightWave 2020 is split into multiple modules:

1. Modeling
    2. Sculpting
    3. Painting
    4. Rigging
    5. Animation, incl. story management, pose library, lip-sync, preview and project management
    6. Surface Editing
    7. Lighting
    8. Color Management
    9. Rendering, incl. realtime rendering, optimization for distributed rendering and external rendering

Sales will expose the priorities that users are willing to pay for.
    Newtek could buy the missing modules to offer a complete package.

Can't wait ....
    I think you mentioned something about "how about Lightwave as open source?"
    I wouldnīt mind that for my personal economic purse, but I also think that ship may have sailed with blender sort of and they have exposed blender to the open source community in
    so long time now, and including quite modern tools behind the core as well, and having itīs reputation as open source that it will be hard to compete if they canīt demonstrate an equally modern architecthure in the code of the open software.

I could potentially see the idea of selling modeler seperate, for a very very cheap price tag, a bit above addon pricing in perhaps for blender, that I think could perhaps bring in some extra cash aimed towards new customers, even though blender has so many more newer functions, it is differnt, and doesnīt have some things Lightwave has in the modeler department, which makes me think it can be a bonus tool for perhaps a few blender users, but also a bonus tool for many others as well..and if they by any chance is interested in the full Lightwave package, there is that as well but at another price tag.

But I donīt see any point of making it open source..a totally different situations if Newtek decided it isnīt generating any sales, and they want to sell it..but no one bites on it..what do you have to loose..only then release it as open source.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... it can be a bonus tool for perhaps a few blender users, but also a bonus tool for many others as well..and if they by any chance is interested in the full Lightwave package, there is that as well but at another price tag.

... then release it as open source.
    A Blender user would rather get goodies like BoxCutter, HardOps, MeshMashine and goodies like these. I don't think any user of these tools would bother about Modeler.

And OpenSource, which serious developer and community would want to understand and do any work in that old source code...

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    A Blender user would rather get goodies like BoxCutter, HardOps, MeshMashine and goodies like these. I don't think any user of these tools would bother about Modeler.

And OpenSource, which serious developer and community would want to understand and do any work in that old source code...
    You are probably right about the open source..which I indicated previously as well.

And yes, you may think so with box cutter, hardops, meshMashine etc, but it depends on...the workflow is different, and those addons will not be able to do everything Lightwave modeler can do with all free plugins either, even if it can handle a lot, there are still tools I believe that still makes modeler great in some areas depending on what you model, Even though in many other areas it is way to old and behind.

I personally feel the layout side of things is easier to exclude and get by with blender rendering and dynamics and animation, than the modeling side, but that is my impressions..others may feel the opposite.

I haven't done SubD modeling and much splines in Blender yet or used its Arch addons as these areas are working very well in C4D for me but for box modeling, it changed the game for me. The tools mentioned benefit from Blenders modifiers and strong boolean engine, which is way more robust then LWs and Cinema's.

I agree with you, a lot can be done with Modeler but not in this easy manner, speed and having the choice between parametric and destructive workflow.

I highly recommend anyone to watch a couple of MasterXeon1001 Youtube tutorials and time lapses.

Lightwave needs this type of user making vids and giving free promotion to the app.

https://www.youtube.com/user/masterxeon1001/videos

Social media, Youtube, community development should be embraced. Adapt or die.

As someone mentioned in the blender LW thread, NT needs to get young users involved.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-17-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Not necessarily. If Modeler gets a substantial upgrade it would most likely be a separate development stream. Therefore understandable they fix some current Modeler issues with a last patch. For Modeler I see no path further anyway but hope there are finally modeling tools in Layout.
    I agree with this point. For example, I'm fairly certain that developing a non-destructive modifier stack for Modeler would be independent of the 2019.1.5 patch, i.e., that patch would have zero effect on the implementation of a modifier stack in Modeler. I haven't personally had a need for one, but I know many users would love it.

I think of all of the Modeler improvement requests, a modifier stack is probably number one with a bullet for many Lightwave users.

So, for example, if 2020 had a minor-medium UI update (dockable panels, perhaps) and a robust modifier stack in Modeler, how many of you would upgrade immediately?

Or, if 2020 included a minor-medium UI update (dockable panels) and native hybrid CPU-GPU rendering using an open source renderer like AMD Pro Render?

If you had to choose between those options, what would motivate you to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Lightwave needs this type of user making vids and giving free promotion to the app.

https://www.youtube.com/user/masterxeon1001/videos

Social media, Youtube, community development should be embraced. Adapt or die.

As someone mentioned in the blender LW thread, NT needs to get young users involved.
    Definitely true; not just social media, but educational outreach on a large scale. Get the software into the hands of young users and let them run it around, and get the LW user community as a whole involved in mentoring new users.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfrick View Post
    To get the same CPU Render speed you need, maybe, a TR 3970 (if not a 3990, maybe the 3970 isn't so fast as a RTX2800) or a farm. How much money? and to double the speed? again a complete comp for... 5000$ or more?
    You might have missed the point I was trying to make... from my perspective, working at a company that have the potential to have 400-600 CPUs in the renderfarm, overnight (no additional cost for licenses or hardware, just electricity), how much do you think it would cost to replace that potential with GPU only rendering?

Shitloads of money.

And, as I have stated before... GPU rendering for individual artists and small studios is more cost-effective than buying a whole renderfarm.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

how many companies or users would have access to similar resources, in the lw userbase?

Anyone who works at an office with a bunch of people. It’s probably not that uncommon. You just use the existing workstations for rendering at night.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 01-17-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast