Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Just curious, is there a running list of known bugs somewhere?

With regard to OD tools, I guess the upside is that Oliver created a vast library of tools most LW users could ever want (over 500 of them!), and he developed them all out of needs based on using the program, so, in short, he has left an incredible legacy for LW now and into the future. So thanks again to Oliver for his massive contribution, with, if I understand correctly, Uber Pass, being one of his crowning achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    So thanks again to Oliver for his massive contribution, with, if I understand correctly, Uber Pass, being one of his crowning achievements.
    Also, Oliver tried to share his wisdom with the rest of us by doing some vids to help get us into using Python with LW ourselves , (as did RR) but I wasn't yet capable...

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    i don’t see any issue with releasing and disruption considering ODtools are now dead. maybe you can charge for them? maybe they will be better?
    How are OD Tools dead ??. They still work and with the latest version of LW. However, because as NT has stated LW will move to Python 3, so it's possible that there maybe some issues. OD Tools is coded under the Python used in LW now which is Python 2, the change to Python 3 may have some issues and we will have to see. OD Tools is hardly dead.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Just curious, is there a running list of known bugs somewhere?
    If you mean ODTools, well the bugs cannot be known as LW 2020 or whatever it will be has not been released yet. Its not just a matter of the changeover to Python 3 but also how MT implements this into LW.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    How are OD Tools dead ??.
    support is alive, development is dead.

what if new substance changes? other spots where tools would
    require an update? what about changes to (hopefully) newer lw versions that require an update? dead.

But all plugins come and go, and break all the time, not exclusive to LW, so it gets down to if the glass is considered half full or empty.

Oh i agree future version of LW might have issues but thats the same for all plugins. Well as far as development goes, over 500 tools is a pretty hefty amount and i bet no one who has them has used all of them. No plugin can guarentee to work for future versions of anything and especially if you have no idea what the future will bring. You will still have LW 2019 if LW 2020 creates problems.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    because as NT has stated LW will move to Python 3
    In the majority of cases making a python 2 script work in python 3 is pretty trivial, we're talking very minor changes here, many of which are for the better. Even if you have 1000+ scripts to deal with you can make a script that makes those tweaks as neccecary... or just use a converter which looks for that stuff for you.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Well i bow to your superior knowledge on these things Ryan, i hope if anything does get changed that Oliver might be kind enough to release an update.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    In the majority of cases making a python 2 script work in python 3 is pretty trivial, we're talking very minor changes here, many of which are for the better...
    I'm not too concerned about tweaking an open source python plugin if the original developer has wandered away. The main concern is for those that publish commercial, compiled python scripts. I just scanned my library (for "*.pyc") and thankfully found a small crowd. Hopefully the following folk will update their tools when/if we see a LW that no longer supports python 2.

• Ernest Chan
    • Oliver Hotz
    • Ryan Roye

Did I miss anyone?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    When will people realize that NT lives in a reality where they don't think marketing or customer communication is necessary?
    Yep. For those that are left, that is.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm not too concerned about tweaking an open source python plugin if the original developer has wandered away. The main concern is for those that publish commercial, compiled python scripts. I just scanned my library (for "*.pyc") and thankfully found a small crowd. Hopefully the following folk will update their tools when/if we see a LW that no longer supports python 2.

• Ernest Chan
    • Oliver Hotz
    • Ryan Roye

Did I miss anyone?
    why dont you wait until python 3 within LW is a reality, and then base your assumptions on things that are actually happening, versus what you think might happen.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    ...then base your assumptions on things that are actually happening, versus what you think might happen.
    I'm not worried at all. There's nothing I'm taking seriously in this crazy/senseless forum topic. I'm well aware that you're doing a lousy job of killing OD Tools by pushing out another update a few days ago.

I was just noting the very few closed source python developers that may be impacted by LW Next, Next (when this change is planned).

In a worst case scenario, if you get hit by a city bus and can no longer support OD Tools, you've given NewTek a 15 year road map of 500+ things that they can improve in LW.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

If there is a Lightwave 2020 do you think it will be announced by the end of February this year if it were to come out?

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast