Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'm a dotard with financial reports - is it good for LW or bad ?
    In an acquisition of a product-oriented company, when acquisition "Goodwill" winds up being twice total asset fair value (and the largest percentage overall), that's generally not "good news" for the acquirer. The total asset fair value for "Technology" also seemed low (in actual value, as well as low relative to "Brands").
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-09-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    It's good to see that they are very profitable and that the NT acquisition has given them positive returns.
    You might want to read and analyze a bit further, particularly around the acquisition numbers themselves.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    What's this? Who have Newtek hired?
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/about_lightwave_group/
    linked earlier in the thread
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    Yeah that's just the Vizrt head honchos along with Dr. Cross. Nothing worth noting.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

One of the more interesting tech inside of Lightwave currently for me as being exciting, but not there to itīs proper potential, but I hope they manage to continue to work on it..that is of course the VDB tools, and in conjunction with Houdini it allows for creation of volumetric shapes and simulations Never possible in 2015 version.

Complaints are openGL presentation,simulation speed..and often occouring blocky quality if you do not use gradients very carefully in scattering channels and itīs data,None of the interpolation modes will solve it..and currently that is some of the issues that bothers me ..and I need to
    find a solution for getting it as smooth as can be, without loosing out of the density scattering should perform to look good enough, Houdini has smooth filtering nodes for VDB which I currently is testing to some degree of success, but Lightwave itself has none as I know off.
    Purely simulating in to such high resolution to avoid it..seem to require ridiculous high fluid simulation or voxel resolution in some cases..but I do not think that should be necessary solely.

For long time feature of the good stuff, all the Lightwave procedurals are a great strength, if I only had those in blender for instance, I am not sure...but I would like to start "The Comprehensive Guide to All Lightwave procedurals"
    starting of with default standard textures, then node versions, them complementing with all of Dpontīs Rman collection, and adding up with all others we can find working for Lightwave.
    There is of course detailed descriptions of them in the Lightwave manual, at least the default ones, but I would like to make a more overseeable guide to where things are missing in respective procedural type, and also samples for where a certain procedural really shines.

Hard to sum up the later Lightwave version, interesting, good quality & realism, very much improved I/O....but also very slow, and workflow in many areas gone bonkers..and long standing issues to catch up ..seem to never be adressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah that's just the Vizrt head honchos along with Dr. Cross. Nothing worth noting.
    Yep, these will be the guys calling the shots for Lightwave now.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Stay the course with 2020. But if 2020 is going the wrong way then it is time to shake it up...

Is LW Group actually hiring? That would be a decent sign.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    It's a total joke. If I was Vizrt, I'd dump the entire LW dev team at this point. Its clear that they just do no get it.
    Sorry but the devs have prooven quite well that they can do their job.

Edit: I never would blame the developers.

Perhaps look for developers in the Blender community, offering full time positions with guaranteed good income, that means investing in such personal with a decent salery making it worthwile for them to adjust to writing for Lightwave and itīs code.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    Sorry but the devs have prooven quite well that they can do their job.

Edit: I never would blame the developers.
    Well..yah, if they donīt do any good development, itīs up to the management to permit them and get someone else doing a better job, so the responsibility falls on the management I guess.
    And by the way, thankīs for your support and development of your plugins, can you share something about your status in doing plugins for Lightwave..is it ongoing, or put on hold for other projects etc?

Since I don't know management I can't judge them.

Well my current time and energy for that stuff is pretty limited.... Also I've currently got half a dozent of projects running I have to finish in my free time
    first.
    Additionally I want to diversify a bit programming wise, writing tools and plugins for other software. Learning their sdks better / genberate a base lib
    of plugins from where I can quickly generate more complex ones if needed. All these takes away time for lw plugins.
    So currently, complex lw stuff, where I need more than 2 workdays to come up with a plugin, is postponed

BTW the last three plugins I developed I didn't want to release, since oliver already did them. (Although he encourraged me to do so)
    But I don't want to disrupt the commercial lw market...if I do it first I think its ok, but not the other way round.

On the other hand, since I only have a limited set of public plugins, maintaining them is not a big hastle. And there is still some more advanced stuff
    I want to create for lw, but these projects have to wait.

Im still hoping Matter will see the light of day.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Yes one of those projects I want to bring to an satisfying end.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    BTW the last three plugins I developed I didn't want to release, since oliver already did them. (Although he encourraged me to do so)
    But I don't want to disrupt the commercial lw market...if I do it first I think its ok, but not the other way round.

On the other hand, since I only have a limited set of public plugins, maintaining them is not a big hastle. And there is still some more advanced stuff
    I want to create for lw, but these projects have to wait.
    i don’t see any issue with releasing and disruption considering ODtools are now dead. maybe you can charge for them? maybe they will be better?
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-09-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    considering ODtools are now dead.
    they are ?...
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast