Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    only high quality a.i. can fix such things, alternatively, a depth mask.
    none of those techs are available at the moment.

Lytro Cinema Camera @ $100000 is getting there tho' for making depth masks on the fly.
    I really didn't want to join this neo Cat's Thread (which actually stays on topic), but interested in this tech.

I'm curious if the systems been used on anything yet other than the FX related samples shown? That vid was ~ 4-5 years old?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

I just discovered today that the latest version of Lunacy (Sketch alternative for Windows that is Sketch compatible) now has a beta AI-based background removal. It works rather well for a 1-click option.

Lunacy is free, btw. https://icons8.com/lunacy
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

To be honest I am quite happy to wait a fair while longer if it means that when they do release Lightwave 2020 that it will be less buggy. Do you think that if Lightwave 2020 does come out that they will allow people with 2018 and 2019 versions to get it cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBeckwith View Post
    To be honest I am quite happy to wait a fair while longer if it means that when they do release Lightwave 2020 that it will be less buggy. Do you think that if Lightwave 2020 does come out that they will allow people with 2018 and 2019 versions to get it cheaper?
    nah

It's ok that they are not rushing out a release, however the 'final preparations' seem to take a bit long.

The longer it takes for release the higher the expectation is going to be.

It just gets harder to justify the purchase or update to LW2020 for many users as other commercial and free applications are much ahead in most areas and constantly continue to improve.

I don't mind waiting as there are so many other apps and plugins to learn and use in the mean time. Layout 2019 with fast hardware is ok to use. If LW2020 is not a huge disappointment but has some nice improvements then I will upgrade.
    Last edited by Marander; 02-26-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The longer it takes for release the higher the expectation is going to be. It just gets harder to justify the update to LW2020.

I don't mind waiting as there are so many other apps and plugins to learn and use in the mean time. If LW2020 is not a huge disappointment but has some nice improvements then I will upgrade.
    Almost the same here, depends on what they have improved on and if it matches what I like to work with, as much as exciting it could be to see where itīs heading, just because we know Nada about what they are working on..itīs mainly that, but otherwise I could probably deal with a little longer wait, but that also means they need to communicate that the release would take a little longer, and not release now in the end of March as often has been done.

Vizrt..or the Lightwave team would probably need to ask them self, are they content with what they have done so far? and are they excitited to release it?
    And if that would be enough for the next " Major release".

I would think they should keep working on some bugfixing still for the 2019 a bit in to the 2020 release though, not everyone is going to upgrade just to have bugfixes, if they are not content with the features etc.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I would think they should keep working on some bugfixing still for the 2019 a bit in to the 2020 release though, not everyone is going to upgrade just to have bugfixes, if they are not content with the features etc.
    Yes one would think a software company should provide fixes for previous releases for a certain period (and I know for fact that other sw companies do that, for enterprise software there are patches available for multiple older versions for several years).

I don't know what the policy is at VizRT in that regard but a NewTek team member once posted in this forum that they don't provide fixes for previous versions and that no other sw company would do that(!). Go figure...

To me personally it doesn't matter as I see LW as hobby software where I don't expect that kind of support but that NewTek statement did upset me back then.

It's ok to say, sorry, we're not able to do that (and I would completely understand and accept that), but to state that no other company does is pure ignorance.
    Last edited by Marander; 02-26-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Yes one would think a software company should provide fixes for previous releases for a certain period (and I know for fact that other sw companies do that, for enterprise software there are patches available for multiple older versions for several years).

I don't know what the policy is at VizRT in that regard but a NewTek team member once posted in this forum that they don't provide fixes for previous versions and that no other sw company would do that(!). Go figure...

To me personally it doesn't matter as I see LW as hobby software where I don't expect that kind of support but that NewTek statement did upset me back then.

It's ok to say, sorry, we're not able to do that (and I would completely understand and accept that), but to state that no other company does is pure ignorance.
    Completly agree with you, hope they are aware of that(providing they are not comfortable to upgrade for the next version at least) some people would look at what they got currently and would have to make a decision wether they have patience to wait in for another release some years after that...and with that notion, if they can work with the current versions with bugs, if not..they may risc users leaving Lightwave for other software.

Customer care, if they point to upgrade instead..due to bugs, they better give price reduction for users feeling they havenīt purchased a proper functionall product.

Not sure if if would be fare to compare with hardware, "oh..so itīs faulty we will give you a new one" or you get a better model (upgrade) for the same price, which should in fact mean, you will get the upgrade for free...because your previous purchased product doesnīt meet the criteria to be functional enough.
    But maybe itīs not fair to compare it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...But maybe itīs not fair to compare it that way?
    No software is bug free unfortunately. So I would agree, you can't compare hw to sw about faults. However the major sw defects should be fixed within a version and users should not need to upgrade for getting patches for these kind of bugs.

I'm pleased that NewTek released several bug fixes and even a point release for the current version.

LW 2019 works quite well in my opinion for what it is except some very old issues that were never fixed in all the previous releases (properties panel dialog truncation, catmull subd for example).

Is there anything you like to have fixed in LW 2019? (for me it's the Layout properties panels)

hub issues, properties panels layouts, image editor search field, surface editor filter by scene option put back in, missing photoshop blend modes in nodes, node properties not showing in the flyout right hand side node properties panel, lwo being appended to fbx file exports..

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    hub issues, properties panels layouts, image editor search field, surface editor filter by scene option put back in, missing photoshop blend modes in nodes, node properties not showing in the flyout right hand side node properties panel, lwo being appended to fbx file exports..
    Agree these are not working ideal but except the first two (maybe even those) - they don't seem to me software defects but missing / unrefined features with potential for improvement. LW has a lot of issues like these (that's why I wrote 'works well for what it is') but I wouldn't classify them as bugs.

No software is bug free unfortunately. So I would agree, you can't compare hw to sw about faults. However the major sw defects should be fixed within a version and users should not need to upgrade for getting patches for these kind of bugs.

I'm pleased that NewTek released several bug fixes and even a point release for the current version.

LW 2019 works quite well in my opinion for what it is except some very old issues that were never fixed in all the previous releases (properties panel dialog truncation, catmull subd for example).

Is there anything you like to have fixed in LW 2019? (for me it's the Layout properties panels)
    1.Fracture tool seems broken in layout.
    2.OpenGL display issues in modeler with intersecting geometry, makes it almost unusable to tweak a wireframe texture model in orthographic views.
    3. Node editor properties panels need to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

1.Fracture tool seems broken in layout.
    2.OpenGL display issues in modeler with intersecting geometry, makes it almost unusable to tweak a wireframe texture model in orthographic views.
    3. Node editor properties panels need to come back.

4. And a bug fix for the forum double posts.

Affinity 1.8 was released yesterday.

Publisher is pretty nice now: InDesign IDML import works very well (tested ~10 files without major problems), but export is still not possible, which is a missed opportunity.

Photo and Designer still do not have a free transform option, which is frustrating. Photo does load PSDs with Smart Objects now, and will load text layers as text (option in general prefs). But still many GUI quirks and a lot of basic workflow issues are left untouched.

PhotoLine 22 is also on the verge of being released, btw.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    ...Publisher is pretty nice now: InDesign IDML import works ...but export is still not possible, which is a missed opportunity...
    Isn't that only an opportunity for Adobe's InDesign sales? When ID 1.0 came out 20 years ago with a QXD importer, it certainly did not offer QXD export.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Isn't that only an opportunity for Adobe's InDesign sales? When ID 1.0 came out 20 years ago with a QXD importer, it certainly did not offer QXD export.
    True, but the market situation is quite different now. While Quark ruled the DTP market at the time, most Quark users (myself included) were extremely unhappy with the company and its misbehaviour and lack of support. And Adobe had a huge weight behind them to penetrate the DTP market, and used the relatively low purchase price to their advantage (the passport version was ridiculously expensive compared). And Adobe quickly developed InDesign into a DTP workhorse with a slew of innovative features not equaled in Quark.

Serif doesn't position itself as a professional Adobe replacement, nor does it aim to. Photo misses extremely basic prepress features support (such as 1bit bitmap printing, and the developers have stated unequivocally that they will NEVER directly support it), and the way I see it, Publisher is again not marketed as an InDesign replacement for DTP professionals.

InDesign is the industry standard, and Publisher has no chance to replace it in the current market, not on the basis of features, or even pricing. And Serif is targeting a different market segment anyway.
    Last edited by Rayek; 02-27-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast