Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Seems a bit OT now (best of luck on bedding nurses and nuking mortgages) but..

LW Group, keep optimizing that CPU. Work on efficiently refining noise. Cater to these Threadrippers. Cost per thread is revolutionarily low.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Seems a bit OT now (best of luck on bedding nurses and nuking mortgages) but..

LW Group, keep optimizing that CPU. Work on efficiently refining noise. Cater to these Threadrippers. Cost per thread is revolutionarily low.
    Sometimes a captain needs to step in to set the course right again.

I also hope for a fixing of the horrible openGL in layout which occours if you use the newer sunlight model, either you always need a workaround with a clone light set to normal light type, and activate it depending on working on openGL, or in VPR and final renderings, or you turn off affect diffuse or opengl..but itīs still not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Sometimes a captain needs to step in to set the course ...
    IMO:

Quality not quantity. Crazy fast viewports. Nondestructive, intuitive, flexible Layout.

Modeling Stack is unlikely...though keep in mind they had a primitive 1.0 implementation in Core. Who knows. 2.0 might nail it.

Clickless, minimalist workflow like 3rd Powers but nondestructive. That's a goal. Maybe not THE goal but would help sell Lightwave.

The foundations are there. Just need to focus and not stretch resources too thin...

IMO:

Quality not quantity. Crazy fast viewports. Nondestructive, intuitive, flexible Layout.

Modeling Stack is unlikely...though keep in mind they had a primitive 1.0 implementation in Core. Who knows. 2.0 might nail it.

Clickless, minimalist workflow like 3rd Powers but nondestructive. That's a goal. Maybe not THE goal but would help sell Lightwave.

The foundations are there. Just need to focus and not stretch resources too thin...
    I am still of the opinion that the Lack of modeling tools in Layout Is the biggest issue they will have to confront, and the biggest issue with people leaving or not adapting lightwave, if they ever wish for some old lightwavers going back again..ever so slightly, that needs to be confronted in a near future.

Personally I like to model in two split apps when I need/want too, but I can not deny the need for modeling tools in layout and what comes with that in terms of modifiers, animatable curves, sculpting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    fixed... making it look like a mid-finger was the hard part.

That's hilarious, thanks!! Are you just building these from scratch yourself? I'd love a license for that.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

yep, PhotoShop  

u get it for free!   

[have to admit, sometimes i modify old ones found on the net.] it is getting harder and harder to find good classic ones tho'

this one is 20-30% modified.

<----- original

so the license isn't "quite" mine.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-16-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

IMO:

Just significant, tangible progress, focused on addressing the loud CUSTOMER requests, even if it means a few devs' "pet projects" have to be put on back-burner instead.

Modeler has serious problems, entire functional systems that are nigh-unusable, and either they need fixing, or replacement (either in Modeler or Layout). Endlessly pretending such issues do not exist has led to much of the customer base not existing. Perhaps it's time to try a different approach?

Alas, history predicts more of the same, or perhaps, nothing much at all.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-16-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

yep, PhotoShop  

u get it for free!   

[have to admit, sometimes i modify old ones found on the net.] it is getting harder and harder to find good classic ones tho'

this one is 20-30% modified.

<----- original

so the license isn't "quite" mine.
    erikals, not sure if you have it and use it?
    but why donīt you use illustrator initially for creation of the shapes, or inkscape for free?
    It must be much easier to tweak forms and shapes in there than trying to match pixel perfect in phoshop initially, then you can send to photoshop for gif output.

nope, i enjoy pixeling as an art form.   

and bringing it back<>forth is kinda drag...  

but hey, sometimes even LightWave Modeler can be of help.   

nope, i enjoy pixeling as an art form.   

and bringing it back<>forth is kinda drag...  

but hey, sometimes even LightWave Modeler can be of help.   
    Yes, canīt argue anything against you picking the workflow that suits you..for me I would guess I rather go with a vector tool and have my icons ready to tweak etc sending back and forth is only when you are ready to gif animate it..so for me, no big deal.

Then of course, guess it depends on how much you do these kind of things, just occasionally ..a bitmap only approach may do fine.

Then of course, guess it depends on how much you do these kind of things, just occasionally ..a bitmap only approach may do fine.
    yes, quite seldom, so no optimization as of yet.   

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes, canīt argue anything against you picking the workflow that suits you..for me I would guess I rather go with a vector tool and have my icons ready to tweak etc sending back and forth is only when you are ready to gif animate it..so for me, no big deal.

As Erikals pointed out, it's not a discussion about workflow, but rather about an art style. Pixel art is a style (albeit created using a specific process).

It is not possible to create precise pixel art using a vector package (unless the artist works with discrete squares and build the image like that at a precise output resolution).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    As Erikals pointed out, it's not a discussion about workflow, but rather about an art style. Pixel art is a style (albeit created using a specific process).

It is not possible to create precise pixel art using a vector package (unless the artist works with discrete squares and build the image like that at a precise output resolution).
    Youré missing the point, using vector grapics was suggested to use initially then send to bitmap
    programs.

trying to change a shape in a bitmap program is trickier if the shape has a filled outlines around it, those distortions
    may show up unwanted when trying to tweak a bitmap.
    Besides..so much easier to change a shape in vector software initially, than deforming it in bitmap, just for the sake of pixel art.

So no..I donīt agree on calling it art style vs workflow.
    So I would say Itīs both.

No, I understood perfectly well. In this case the emoticons are very small pixel-based graphics.

The problem with small pixel graphics is that vector art translates extremely poorly to such small sizes, and generally results in an unusable asset. Only by taking manual control of the placement of pixels can this be solved. Even the placement of a single pixel may affect the final result.
    Last edited by Rayek; 02-16-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    No, I understood perfectly well. In this case the emoticons are very small pixel-based graphics.

The problem with small pixel graphics is that vector art translates extremely poorly to such small sizes, and generally results in an unusable asset. Only by taking manual control of the placement of pixels can this be solved. Even the placement of a single pixel may affect the final result.
    I stand corrected for the small emoticons....

Edit..I thought, but after testing with inkscape and krita, not so sure about it, of course you must zoom in properly and check every pixel, but the main concept of working with an icon or emoticon, etc..initially with the full shape in vector..I think can stand up for itself as the template.

And the single pixel placement, it is not a matter of may, it for sure does affect the final result in such case of animated gif.

But I get the point of working with so small pixel sized images, manually place a pixel to move something within a tiny gif, is perhaps to prefer.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast