Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    And what exactly would be "native octane support" ????

I don't get it. Octane works just fine in LW, i don't see how "native" it can be since it's owned by different company which has plugin for 20+ different DCC apps now so i don't think NT can/would buy OTOY so we could call it "native" ?
    removing LW's own rendering engine - replacing with Octane and selling new Lightwave 202+ with Octane licenses included.. and directing all other company sources into other areas..

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get it. Octane works just fine in LW, i don't see how "native" it can be since it's owned by different company which has plugin for 20+ different DCC apps now so i don't think NT can/would buy OTOY so we could call it "native" ?
    removing LW's own rendering engine - replacing with Octane and selling new Lightwave 202+ with Octane licenses included.. and directing all other company sources into other areas..

myeah,

- but Octane policy does change along the way. it could be dangerous.
    - what about nodes for renderfarms. Octane renderfarm cost is $$$.

so i'd rather see Cycles, open source. Secure. Fairly.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    No thanks. I rather have LW native CPU render engine and hire Rebusfarm, than Octanes absolutely ****** licensing scam.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

sidenote 1;

why are 3 Swedes and 1 Norwegian online at the NT forum 5:30 in the morning.

sidenote 2;

sounds like a riddle.

than Octanes absolutely ****** licensing scam.
    yes, we are actually lucky to have the LightWave policy.
    and hopefully they'll add Cycles to the mix in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sidenote 1;

why are 3 Swedes and 1 Norwegian online at the NT forum 5:30 in the morning.

sidenote 2;

sounds like a riddle.

Usually I am about to go to bed at this early hour, often in the wrong dayrythm, but I managed to change that by staying up maybe 26 hours, so yesterday I went to bed early 19.30 yesterday evening.. after having stayed up too long, so I am almost back on track...actually, I got up too early 02:30 this morning, I planned for 06:30 but oddly enough I felt rested, but mostly hungry.

So yeah..almost back to track, Need to stay up a little longer today so I do not go to bed too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    No thanks. I rather have LW native CPU render engine and hire Rebusfarm, than Octanes absolutely ****** licensing scam.
    Good Morning Michael,

Yes..interesting to hear that point of view, you know what...I never got in to octane for Lightwave, most of it due to a messy licensing setup which I do not like..is that your perspective on it, or is it the actual cost?

Otherwise I can see the potential in it, especially since the fiberfx in Lightwave is a nightmare for me to cope with in terms of rendertimes, I do not touch it anymore and use blender hair instead..much faster, and I like octane´s sky system..from what Ivé seen, but then we got the materials I am not so certain about.
    I got the free version in blender, but I need to try that out a bit more, it requires their own blender version to work, I really do not like these seperate branches of blender often needed, I was interested to look in to octane for blender with the vdb tools Lino demonstrated so well, but my free version couldn´t cope with it at least.

almost back on track...
    yeah, i need to do that also.  

schedules makes it difficult. [agh]

signing out.  

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I actually noticed that there is way less discussion about Octane for Lightwave on these forums after OTOY started the subscription for Octane. I'm guessing it probably made some LW/Octane users less enthusiastic about Octane. I myself was interested in Octane once but not anymore. I'm glad I stuck with the LW native render engine and invested in CPU rendering power. It would be nice though if LW native engine utilized GPU as well.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I actually noticed that there is way less discussion about Octane for Lightwave on these forums after OTOY started the subscription for Octane. I'm guessing it probably made some LW/Octane users less enthusiastic about Octane. I myself was interested in Octane once but not anymore. I'm glad I stuck with the LW native render engine and invested in CPU rendering power. It would be nice though if LW native engine utilized GPU as well.
    Yes, definitely less interesting with a subscription model, if that is the way they choose to handle it..their loss.. if any.

... It would be nice though if LW native engine utilized GPU as well.
    GPU native renderer .. OK that would be super !

About subscription yes - Octane is shooting its foot with uber complex licensing. But i still think Octane is making us competitive in arhviz area in terms of speed and quality.

There is Perpetual option back (they do listen users ) for Octane licensing.

There is Rent (since it's not subscription but actual renting like Adobe, Autodesk) and now there is BUY option which is Perpetual+maintenance (1 or 2 years) and now all plugins are included in both options.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Even Octane's dongle option for "permanent" offline users requires to be updated online every four months. Squirrel Nutkin if you ask me (though no one did ).
    https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-...chase/#dongles

Well i have modo perpetual license which also requires activation/refresh every 3-4 months also so nothing weird there.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast