Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Using vectors can work well, of course, and in that you are quite correct. It is just that at very small sizes (in my experience) the art becomes too fuzzy looking or even a downright unrecognizable pixel mess.

Either way, the artist has to fix these issues, and at these small sizes I often find it quicker to just start from scratch, rather than attempting to fix the version that was generated by a vector package. There just isn't a sufficient level of control possible in these cases by the standard bitmap output of a vector package.

On a side note: Illustrator is notoriously bad at outputting sharp looking bitmap versions of vector art at smaller sizes. The generated bitmaps are much too soft looking. The only solution is to export a very large version, and use a good down-sample algorithm (like CatmullRom).

Of course, Adobe products lack such an algorithm. Instead Photoshop will even sharpen the down-sampled result automatically, without any user control to avoid this, and the final result is still not nearly as good as it would be with a proper down-sample algorithm.

Anyway, I am a bit of a nitpicker in regards to these matters. Yet compared to all the suffering in this world, this is all trivial and utterly unimportant. ;-)
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Using vectors can work well, of course, and in that you are quite correct. It is just that at very small sizes (in my experience) the art becomes too fuzzy looking or even a downright unrecognizable pixel mess.

Anyway, I am a bit of a nitpicker in regards to these matters. Yet compared to all the suffering in this world, this is all trivial and utterly unimportant. ;-)
    You are correct and rightfully a nitpicker, if you do this stuff, you need to be pixel perfect.

as for porting from illustrator, yest I had issues with that too, but it was a long time now since I used illustrator, not sure if inkscape does it better, it will generate tones of grey when transformed ..and those tones arenīt even in the image if you look at the other side of an symmetric shape image ..smiley etc., on the right side though the pixels are correctly placed, they can be lesser grey etc.

you could run loads of filter and adjustments on it..but time consuming to find out what is best, if you are only concerned about having the shape correct, you can always run filter threshold, that will yield only the white and blacks of a shape, but keeping the pixels placement correctly and symmetricly, then from that you can change colors, which means you do not have to start to draw the pixels within the bitmap editor..unless you actually happens to be a star on that.

Isnīt the almighty creator pixel perfect? think some pixels may be missing....since as you say, so much suffering in the world.Name:  threshold-takes through the threshold.png
Views: 460
Size:  241 Bytes

Just a note: Illustrator is vastly improved in the last couple years for pixel perfect work. Pixel snapping has been entirely redesigned. Just work at the lowest resolution and export multiples of that for higher res, and avoid adobes fuzzy downsampling altogether. While I wouldn’t recommend this approach for true pixel pushing (Nobody is going to be making metal slug sprites in illustrator) it is a great tool for icons and such that should be available in multiple resolutions.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 02-17-2020 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Just a note: Illustrator is vastly improved in the last couple years for pixel perfect work. Pixel snapping has been entirely redesigned. Just work at the lowest resolution and export multiples of that for higher res, and avoid adobes fuzzy downsampling altogether. While I wouldn’t recommend this approach for true pixel pushing (Nobody is going to be making metal slug sprites in illustrator) it is a great tool for icons and such that should be available in multiple resolutions.
    Thanks, just to bad itīs subscription, they must have missed the point of it all...itīs called open source

Cost of doing business unfortunately. If there is one subscription I truly can’t do without it is adobe.

- - - Updated - - -

Cost of doing business unfortunately. If there is one subscription I truly can’t do without it is adobe.

If there is one subscription I truly can’t do without it is adobe.
    couldn't you buy CS6 instead ?
    they do sell them, here and there.

i've considered it.

the last 10 years of PhotoShop upgrades are a joke anyway.   
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I see no benefit to owning adobe software. Photoshop in particular is something I don’t want to own. I hate that bloated mess and have always hated it, but I can’t do without it. And the last 10 years of updates may be a joke, but for interoperability with other photoshop users they aren’t. Might as well rent and at least stay current.

Not sure if you've tried the Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, but I moved to those at home purely because I got fed up with subscriptions and Adobe giving me no reason to upgrade.

I was pleasantly surprised when I did a freelance job recently and they handed me Adobe Illustrator files as their initial 2D designs. I cautiously opened up Affinity Designer and didn't expect it to open the native .AI files, but it did... along with all layers and everything in-tact

I'd highly recommend the Affinity tools, only Ģ45-ish each and that's it. Nicely designed and they just feel more modern than the Adobe ones.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

I have considered affinity’s suite. One of these days I might give them a real try. But I’m not there yet. Adobe is too imbedded into my workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I have considered affinity’s suite. One of these days I might give them a real try. But I’m not there yet. Adobe is too imbedded into my workflow.
    I fully understand... I still use the Adobe suite at work, and what it does, it does very well.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Ok I checked...

Import: FBX, OBJ, COLLADA/DAE
    Export: FBX

FBX completely broken in the newest version btw.
    For what it's worth, I submitted the FBX bug (crash with all DAZ exports) to Nukeygara and they fixed it in the Akeytsu code which will be built in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Not sure if you've tried the Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, but I moved to those at home purely because I got fed up with subscriptions and Adobe giving me no reason to upgrade.

I was pleasantly surprised when I did a freelance job recently and they handed me Adobe Illustrator files as their initial 2D designs. I cautiously opened up Affinity Designer and didn't expect it to open the native .AI files, but it did... along with all layers and everything in-tact

I'd highly recommend the Affinity tools, only Ģ45-ish each and that's it. Nicely designed and they just feel more modern than the Adobe ones.
    Affinity is able to load the PDF part of an Illustrator file, but is unable to load older Illustrator files.

I have a license of Affinity Photo and Publisher. Photo I sometimes use for HDR or focus stacking, but that's pretty much it: the current version has SO many irritating quirks, GUI goof-ups, missing basic workflow options, and just missing fundamental features, that I can't work with it.

I use PhotoLine instead for my image editing, and Krita/ClipStudio for digital painting.

PhotoLine, incidentally, will also load Illustrator files (as long as it includes the PDF data). And it loads smart objects in PSD files (even embedded Illustrator files, which can even be edited directly!).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

double post again....

Thursday will be 02.20.2020. Isn't it the best day to release LW2020?
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    Thursday will be 02.20.2020. Isn't it the best day to release LW2020?
    Yup. Or at least the "launch".

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast