Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBeckwith View Post
    I tell you what is strange, I am a bit of newbie to 3d modelling but also do photography as a Canon shooter. One thing that seems to be the in thing in all disciplines is the fact that people keep making posts on forums or youtube videos declaring that product "x" is dead and so is brand "x". Reading between the lines 99% of it is individuals look for attention and that it is the "in" thing to quickly declare something is "dead" or company x is "dead", christ you had it on youtube with many people delcaring that the new Star Wars film was a total failure BEFORE the film was even bloody released.

Personally I think that Lightwave is not dead and alive and kicking. I also think that photography brand Canon isn't dead or dying, and as far as I am aware the latest Star Wars film is generally alright. It is a bit strange as a fair few years ago people on youtube and forums were not in this product "X" is dead or film "X" is dead, bit it all seems to be the rage and the thing to do these days.

I wouldn't take the majority of reviews that says a product is dead very seriously at the moment no matter what the product or brand or film is. It is getting a lot harder to get an honest review of something on the internet without having any ******** attention seeking comments added to it. The are a few reliable sources of information on the internet but sadly they are in a minority, the rest seem to be attention seeking and using any methods they can to get attention.

Lightwave is ALIVE!
    Yes I agree, Lightwave is definitely still alive. I have been on these forums for a long time and it's always the same gloom and doom talk. Lightwave works great for what I do and I think I get good value for my money, that's all that really matters to me. Any software can potentially be canned at any time so that is always there no matter what. As users we will see where things go next. Even if Lightwave did get canned in the future for some reason I would still use it until technical issues prevented me from using it many years from now.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Prometheus yes I was addressing you.
    After a while, my braincells accepted that(prom is a slow thinker sometimes, so yes..I knew it when responding)
    I am impressed you also knew who I was adressing

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

itīs a time sucker and my energy could be spent on walking and take some fresh air, cleaning or doing some more interesting 3D stuff, or something else creatively than engaging in defending your own or others perspective of what they think is going on.
    Yes. I think if someone does take the time and energy to defend Lightwave then it might be better to keep their cool and not get personal. I strongly disagree with Steve's behavior regarding LW Group and Newtek but it does not mean I dislike the guy. Far from it. It also does not mean I disagree with everything he says.

I understand why Kelly is so frustrated and appreciate his passion but...woah...going to battle in a Blender forum : https://youtu.be/GJoM7V54T-c?list=RDGJoM7V54T-c&t=36
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 01-13-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yes I agree, Lightwave is definitely still alive. I have been on these forums for a long time and it's always the same gloom and doom talk. Lightwave works great for what I do and I think I get good value for my money, that's all that really matters to me. Any software can potentially be canned at any time so that is always there no matter what. As users we will see where things go next. Even if Lightwave did get canned in the future for some reason I would still use it until technical issues prevented me from using it many years from now.
    For me the change in new engine I think was necessary, when everyone else is adapting PBR and more realistic lighting, but it didnīt work out as sucessful as it could have been I think.
    Right now I see two major issues, the long standing no information of the Modeler in Layout issue, and the fact that the new render engine also ment quite a slow render engine, maybe not compared to other cpu, but compared to what is out there with GPU.

1. These 2 I think ..from my perspective, and from what I see around, seem to be The major issues today, and that is something they need to adress.
    2. Following that, Undo and UI as a second place.
    3. Following that..native fx tools such as fluids and particles and dynamic bodies..Working in sync, each has itīs own engine excluded from the other.. and they should performing fast and also be easy to work with.
    4. Following that..Adressing the newer workflows, and get back on track with some things broken, how you work with nodes and parameters, navigating in it, muting nodes, replacing nodes, zooming in, applying a texture without the need of opening the nodes etc, applying hypertextures without the need to jump in to nodes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Yes. I think if someone does take the time and energy to defend Lightwave that it might be better to keep their cool and not get personal. I strongly disagree with Steve's behavior regarding LW Group and Newtek but it does not mean I dislike the guy. Far from it. It also does not mean I disagree with everything he says.

I understand why Kelly is so frustrated and appreciate his passion but...woah...going to battle in a Blender forum : https://youtu.be/GJoM7V54T-c?list=RDGJoM7V54T-c&t=36
    I Agree with your point of view, as I said, itīs not easy to debate in spock mode, meaning that you back up what you assert with what you know and logics, rather than what you feel or suspect about someone, especially when you are encountered with a species doing just the opposite and that is his specific language.

About bug fixes, I recently had a lot of crashes with displacements, could be memory issues when I had too much going on in the background though, it started to happen a lot when using dpontīs procedurals as well, I know that it often had issues before, but I can not tell for sure, will have to make sure to only work with lightwave, and try out other procedurals and take notes weather it may have to do with the dense amount of subdivs etc.

I also installed studio drivers from nvidia recently, where I previously had the game drivers.

...I also installed studio drivers from nvidia recently, where I previously had the game drivers.
    I don't think that the Nvidia Studio drivers have an impact (be it positive or negative) on LightWave. Since LW doesn't do much on GPU except denoising and most likely it is not considered by NVidia as a DCC app to specifically support, I would not expect much of a stability issue there.

Using Blender is different since it's constantly changing (2.80, 2.8.1, 2.81a Releases, 2.82 Beta, 2.83 Alpha with daily builds, E-Cycles with various versions). I haven't installed the Studio drivers yet but will do that on one machine with a single GPU and test it with Eeevee, Cycles and E-Cycles.

The Studio drivers have optimization for these apps: Adobe Dimension, Adobe Premiere Pro, Autodesk Arnold, Adobe Premiere Pro, REDCINE-X Pro, Magix VEGAS Pro v17, Autodesk Arnold, Allegorithmic Substance Painter 2019.2, Substance Alchemist, Blender 2.80, Cinema 4D R21, and Otoy Octane Render 2019.2.

Interesting is this info in the release notes of the latest NVidia Studio drivers: The latest NVIDIA Studio Driver also adds support for OptiX 7, a powerful ray-tracing API that is being implemented by leading 3D renderers including the Blender Cycles 2.81 Beta.

If NewTek worked on using OptiX 7 in LW 2020 for rendering, that would be great!

Read Kat's post now. Definitely a touch of Adama in his Battlestar there...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    From his post: "...the way LightWave does certain things from an interface to a achitectural stand point has been its strengths that at times have been left to be what they are for decades and still come out on top" ...and then of course his usual remarks like "we can more responsive, faster and more cost effective than larger houses at 3-5 times the costs and 2-3 time the people on board and by the time they are done with previs we are doing comps"

Yeah riiiight, why oh why don't all these studios and artists of other applications realize this? I better do not comment on that.

I seriously hope NewTek has addressed the jaggy and aliased viewport and other interface issues in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I don't think that the Nvidia Studio drivers have an impact (be it positive or negative) on LightWave. Since LW doesn't do much on GPU except denoising and most likely it is not considered by NVidia as a DCC app to specifically support, I would not expect much of a stability issue there.

Using Blender is different since it's constantly changing (2.80, 2.8.1, 2.81a Releases, 2.82 Beta, 2.83 Alpha with daily builds, E-Cycles with various versions). I haven't installed the Studio drivers yet but will do that on one machine with a single GPU and test it with Eeevee, Cycles and E-Cycles.

The Studio drivers have optimization for these apps: Adobe Dimension, Adobe Premiere Pro, Autodesk Arnold, Adobe Premiere Pro, REDCINE-X Pro, Magix VEGAS Pro v17, Autodesk Arnold, Allegorithmic Substance Painter 2019.2, Substance Alchemist, Blender 2.80, Cinema 4D R21, and Otoy Octane Render 2019.2.

Interesting is this info in the release notes of the latest NVidia Studio drivers: The latest NVIDIA Studio Driver also adds support for OptiX 7, a powerful ray-tracing API that is being implemented by leading 3D renderers including the Blender Cycles 2.81 Beta.

If NewTek worked on using OptiX 7 in LW 2020 for rendering, that would be great!
    Yes...of course, thanks for the reminder that the studio driver shouldnīt affect it, but you never know, to note...it handles aliasing as well in Lightwave.
    Thanks for the heads up on Optix, I have to look in to that.

I also have to install the latest TFD demo in 2019 and see how that works, and with that in mind, the nvidia drivers matters in reference to the GPU simulation.

I Need to take a full day and only work with terrain and displacement, rebooting the comp, and only work with Lightwave and see what gives when working with the procedurals etc, check the crash dump files etc...that is If the crashing continues.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Prometheus yes I was addressing you.

My solution is to type real fast so my reply gets in before anyone else’s. Thereby making it clear who I am addressing. Doesn’t always work.
    Oh..understood, I just happen to think any conversation, message directed to anyone in specific, should carry a recipient adress, no matter what...and should not rely on the immediate order after a certain poster to be read as adressed to that poster, in particular when many people may be in the thread, itīs maybe another thing when you answer a thread for the very first time, or only two members discussing, but as you noticed yourself, it doesnīt always work expecting to answer fast directly after another post., And if not adressing, you can simply qoute.

but now ..end of this, I am already tiresome with my hickups on things like this, sorry for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Where?
    Blenderartists.org general forums, and the article about viztr.

From his post: "...the way LightWave does certain things from an interface to a achitectural stand point has been its strengths that at times have been left to be what they are for decades and still come out on top" ...and then of course his usual remarks like "we can more responsive, faster and more cost effective than larger houses at 3-5 times the costs and 2-3 time the people on board and by the time they are done with previs we are doing comps"

Yeah riiiight, why oh why don't all these studios and artists of other applications realize this? I better do not comment on that.

I seriously hope NewTek has addressed the jaggy and aliased viewport and other interface issues in 2020.
    You mean aliasing in Layout, not modeler right?

You mean aliasing in Layout, not modeler right?
    Yes correct Layout.

It's all I care for, don't even remember what Modeler looks like

Yes correct Layout.

It's all I care for, don't even remember what Modeler looks like
    yes, in modeler itīs nice and dandy, if you override your aa settings I think in nvidia panels, not sure if it works without that.
    thought that should affect the layout as well, can not remember how it was before, but for me..the modeling AA is way more important than the layout AA in wireframe.
    Checking, yup, the same AA jagginess in layout 2015, so I have probably not reacted to it that much before, grid aliasing you can set individually in the preferences, and 2019 implemented aliasing for the rubberband nodes as well.

In blender you control that also in the preferences.

I am adapting my wirecolor in blender to be the same as in Lightwave, cause I prefer that color scheme, rather than blenders default black wire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa wireframes compare.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	146619

Even with full grid anti aliasing in Layout it looks horrible. I don't want to change the NVidia settings because all other 3D applications I use have a smooth viewport, grid, object wireframes etc. Maybe I could set it to application specific anti aliasing in the NVidia properties, haven't tried that. Yes, the Node Editor looks better in 2019.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast