Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Oliver has indeed stated on his discord that he is shifted to houdini exclusively. So that is apparently accurate unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    In Poland, from 2017 retirement age for women is 60 and for mens is 65. Before this change age was slowly going to 67 for everyone. I will go on retire in 2054. Sad thing is goverment sometimes transfer money from one account to another with different name and take few percent from all this virtual savings ;] So will there be LightWave 2050?
    Weird, Gender discrimination...and without reason I think...in sweden at least, women tend to live a little longer, ergo you would think that the Males should be eligible to go earlier, not women.
    Reasons to why women live longer can be debated, wether it has to do with their biology, or their habits, or what kind of work they perform...probably all of that, I think I saw a study that says the female brain, young adult and up..is considered to be younger than the Male brain with reference to their birth/age, the female brain is less disintegrated, something to do with their metabolism I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Cite / pointer please?
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...31#post1584031

See his statements towards the end of the thread.

Edit - Excerpt :

"Having watched and worked with some of the LW developers through the years allowed for massive additions
    in OD2018 / OD2019 which greatly enhanced Lightwave. Keep in mind ODTools first was released in 2015. It was truly fun at the beginning but became very exhausting towards the end. The pace of how LW gets developed, finding ways to get hooks included by circumventing "official" roadblocks that get thrown in your face all the time, just became too exhausting, no fun at all.
    The "roadblocks" of course are not coming from the entire team, just parts of it. I won't point fingers though, as none of it would change anything from where we are today. It is simply how it is.
    At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if working with an application and its developers like this is really what its supposed to be like.

The Answer for myself is No, but it took me a while to figure it out and be prepared to make a change. Therefore, In february, I made the choice to switch to Houdini, and dropped Lightwave. My passion for 3D work has been reignited, and its like you've been born again. Since starting with Houdini all the love for 3D/VFX and in general the industry as a whole has been coming back. Its the same fresh excitement I felt when I started my Journey."
    Last edited by Marander; 01-09-2020 at 05:09 AM.

I was surprised to see mention of Chuck retired. I found him very likeable and I hope he is doing well. Which does leave one question - we should trade insults just to see if Enforcer Steve is still with us (no, I'm not feeling lucky).
    I wonder how many "old school" are still left. Andrew Cross is a good sign. I believe "Geek Goddess" Kiki is still in the company somewhere..
    Last edited by TheLexx; 01-09-2020 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Which does leave one question - we should trade insults just to see if Enforcer Steve is still with us (no, I'm not feeling lucky).
    Depends on your definition of luck, I suppose.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

several will stay, but NT also has to attract new potential customers.
    That's pretty much the key to everything. As much as some people are devoted to continue using LW since they've used it for years, you have to be able to attract new users. I just don't see LW brining in new and younger users.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    "The pace of how LW gets developed, finding ways to get hooks included by circumventing "official" roadblocks that get thrown in your face all the time, just became too exhausting, no fun at all.
    The "roadblocks" of course are not coming from the entire team, just parts of it. I won't point fingers though, as none of it would change anything from where we are today. It is simply how it is.
    At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if working with an application and its developers like this is really what its supposed to be like.

The Answer for myself is No,"
    so when are the roadblocks getting removed? I for one would like to keep paying for something that has 3rd party developers, like Oliver.

Typical NT.. just when you think nobody could F it up more, they surpass all expectations!

Cant you see that YOU are making a watertight case to move to ANYTHING else other than LW?

It's a total joke. If I was Vizrt, I'd dump the entire LW dev team at this point. Its clear that they just do no get it.

I know that there were many that would rant about this sort of thing on here, once upon a time. I am almost the last one left. That's not a good sign.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 01-09-2020 at 07:59 AM.

On the other hand, Oliver is clearly a tinkerer. He made all of those plugins for his own use primarily. He knew his way around lightwave better than anyone and had run right into all it’s limitations. It is not a huge surprise that discovering an entirely new toolbox (Houdini) would spark a renewed interest. Nothing is forever.

But as part of a broader pattern of dwindling third party enthusiasm its certainly not good. I don’t think 2020 needs to blow everyone’s mind. I think solid forward progress will be enough for now. What concerns me a little more about Oliver’s statement is that, and this is pure speculation, he if anyone was probably a beta tester. If he was a beta tester he knows what is coming and wasn’t particularly excited about it.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, Oliver is clearly a tinkerer. He made all of those plugins for his own use primarily. He knew his way around lightwave better than anyone and had run right into all it’s limitations. It is not a huge surprise that discovering an entirely new toolbox (Houdini) would spark a renewed interest. Nothing is forever.

But as part of a broader pattern of dwindling third party enthusiasm its certainly not good. I don’t think 2020 needs to blow everyone’s mind. I think solid forward progress will be enough for now. What concerns me a little more about Oliver’s statement is that, and this is pure speculation, he if anyone was probably a beta tester. If he was a beta tester he knows what is coming and wasn’t particularly excited about it.

You are not allone:-)

I only started with Lighgtwave 2018. Before that I experienced the death of shade3d. Some of what is written here does not read well at all.

I'm just a little hobby lightwaver. And my start with Lightwave was really difficult. But a few plugins later, it got better. Bevel is now doing what I knew under bevel.

And now LWCAD came along. The amount of possibilities almost killed me.

It is getting better every day. Lightwave is addictive. I'm not ready to show any results yet, but I'm always learning more. And it's great fun to discover the possibilities.

Maybe they just forgot what a great product they have. And a community with knowledge that could be used to fill books.

I now love Lightwave. Not a day goes by that I'm not on it. There is only one sentence that I can no longer hear. Remember, if nothing is selected, all is selected. I had nightmares about that. :-)

best regards, and sorry for my english

kievi

just to inject real quick... at the end of my statement, i did say, that there's no need to speculate or trying to interpret things any different than what it said in the full statement.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1584138
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

ive mentioned on FB and partly here, just look about the web sites and you can see little things appearing that you can take as an indication things are not dead, (sinking ship threads starting all over social media as usual)
    just go and read the parts you wouldn't usually read,
    about LW group page, why would you employ 2 new CEO level people (one from gaming software industry) to then just kill it off?
    why would you suddenly after about 10 years update the careers page and advertise a ton of jobs,
    incidentally the broacher for newtek mentions Lightwave under the "80% of fortune 100 companies use Newtek products"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how we do it.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	146573
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    You are not allone:-)

I only started with Lighgtwave 2018. Before that I experienced the death of shade3d. Some of what is written here does not read well at all.

I'm just a little hobby lightwaver. And my start with Lightwave was really difficult. But a few plugins later, it got better. Bevel is now doing what I knew under bevel.

And now LWCAD came along. The amount of possibilities almost killed me.

It is getting better every day. Lightwave is addictive. I'm not ready to show any results yet, but I'm always learning more. And it's great fun to discover the possibilities.

Maybe they just forgot what a great product they have. And a community with knowledge that could be used to fill books.

I now love Lightwave. Not a day goes by that I'm not on it. There is only one sentence that I can no longer hear. Remember, if nothing is selected, all is selected. I had nightmares about that. :-)

best regards, and sorry for my english

kievi
    It's always great to see new Lightwave users. Welcome to the community!

I have been using Lightwave for 20 years and professionally for the last 13 of those years . Don't worry much about reading gloomy stuff on these forums, it's always been like this to some extent from time to time. If Lightwave works good for you and you like using it then stick with it. I find it still one of the easiest and natural 3D software to use. LWCAD makes Lightwave a modeling powerhouse! I highly recommend it.

If you ever run into any problems or have any questions about Lightwave there are many experienced and knowledgeable users on these forums that can help.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 01-09-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    ive mentioned on FB and partly here, just look about the web sites and you can see little things appearing that you can take as an indication things are not dead, (sinking ship threads starting all over social media as usual)
    just go and read the parts you wouldn't usually read,
    about LW group page, why would you employ 2 new CEO level people (one from gaming software industry) to then just kill it off?
    why would you suddenly after about 10 years update the careers page and advertise a ton of jobs,
    incidentally the broacher for newtek mentions Lightwave under the "80% of fortune 100 companies use Newtek products"

You know those are VizRT people, they didn't hire new CEOs. And all three of those guys are video people and have had nothing to do with LightWave. Andrew Cross only slightly being part of NT management.
    And I don't see any of those positions on that page having anything to do with LW, only with Video.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post

What's this? Who have Newtek hired?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    It's always great to see new Lightwave users. Welcome to the community!

I have been using Lightwave for 20 years and professionally for the last 13 of those years . Don't worry much about reading gloomy stuff on these forums, it's always been like this to some extent from time to time. If Lightwave works good for you and you like using it then stick with it. I find it still one of the easiest and natural 3D software to use. LWCAD makes Lightwave a modeling powerhouse! I highly recommend it.

If you ever run into any problems or have any questions about Lightwave there are many experienced and knowledgeable users on these forums that can help.
    I have already received help here. And I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and creativity.

The beginner thread here is great too. After a year of lightwave, I found the right mouse button menu. :-) And otherwise, I happily read here every day. Tips lurk everywhere. :-)

Eric's videos, many other youtube videos, great tutorials from liberty3d. There is enough to learn lightwave. you just have to sort everything out first.

Lightwave offers me learning fun for years to come. Maybe that's why I should be quiet. It is clear to me that an update means a lot more to you, because it is about work and livelihood.

However, I don't understand why updates or new versions are not announced. if I want to sell a product in the future, I predict in advance when it will be on the market.

and thank you very much for the welcome:-)

kievi
    Last edited by kievi; 01-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast