Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Newtek, please announce LW2020 or provide another fix update for LW2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    If I remember correctly, LW2019 did not get a pre-announcement like LW2018. It just 'appeared' at the end of January with the first people knew about it being an official announcement in the form of a Press Release and Blog Post on the 22nd January:
    You might be correct, but that's not a positive. No priming the market, no pre-announce to give customers a chance to plan/prepare for market transition, nothing "professional" about the release whatsoever. Just flinging a product over the wall without any advance notice is about the least customer-respectful manner of release possible -- if that's the "new normal", that says a LOT.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-05-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Lw 2019 just dropped out of nowhere I think. No announcement.
    i'm sure LightWave 2020 will too.
    ok by me.
    As this is apparently what VizRT's stewardship of Lightwave and Lightwave customers looks like...
    it has always been like that, we can't keep nagging about it for 20 more years.
    ...actually we could, but it wouldn't solve anything.

your best shot is to email customer support.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

yea, its a shame they cant employ the same people that do the newtek social media side! literally have a post once a day, and at least one new tutorial or demonstration once a week, I guess that puts the size difference between the two into perspective,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I dunno. I see no benefits to pre-release announcements. Priming the market and all that...seems pointless with software. Better to have a product for people to try before marketing it. It’s not like software has per-copy production costs that necessitate priming the market. It’s not like a car where they need to anticipate demand to know how much to produce. If you don’t go the open beta route there is no reason to hype early.

Time for a new version regardless.

In that case, let's focus on LW2021!

Gotta admit, I fully expected a new release announcement to drop. But to play devil's advocate, as a group, we have been tossing some labor-intensive asks at the dev team... so maybe they dug in and it's taking a little more time to polish up what they are about to drop.

Not too long ago, we were talking about what a monumental task it would be to produce a GPU rendering solution in a year; but if that was one of the asks they took on, I am more than willing to extend a little patience for that kind of payoff.

Even if they combined a large sampling of the smaller asks from the wishlist currently on the Lightwave Support Group, it's probably worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    In that case, let's focus on LW2021!
    Just wait til LW 2031, and boy what improvements over 2021 there will be, just be patient.

"mark our words!"

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

i think 2019 was cracked and out prior to the official release.
    maybe look for a non-paying users review and see what they say about it? that will give a good indication of release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Looks like they changed management. A sign they are still invested in LW.

sales, professional service, customer experience...

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    sales, professional service, customer experience...
    Changes typically start from the top. Maybe management can push for improvement in those areas.

Vizrt influencing development along with Dr. Crosse R&D hopefully means an ambitious move toward real-time everything. Cause that's clearly where the industry is heading...or in some cases already arrived, as with Tricaster tech.

If all this tech could be integrated, Lightwave could ultimately offer uniquely optimized realtime rendering and editing pipelines...even if it is leveraging Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    ... uniquely optimized realtime rendering ...
    Even in 2020 this means you need uniquely optimized GPU's and other specific hardware.

For instance look at the mess that Vegas Pro 17 users try to fix.
    Oh sure, it's hardware accellerated. Unfortunatele not for your configuration!
    Why? Nobody can tell unless you beg for support and pray for a solution within a few years.
    Or you get an answer like "didn't you know that we don't support your chipset / ancient CPU / specific GPU / depricated codec / bit depth / driver version (or any random combination)?".

So please no real-time for the next 50 years unless it works on common (certified?) hardware that is available and compatible for at least 25 years.

You may call me oldfashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Even in 2020 this means you need uniquely optimized GPU's and other specific hardware.
    Yes, GPU acceleration / rendering should be optional in an all purpose 3D package. It should run on all kind of hardware and drivers.

But with hybrid render engines you get the best of both worlds, compatibility with CPU rendering and speed with GPU rendering where available.

We will get it when they give us it and it will contain what they want to prioritize.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    We will get it when they give us it and it will contain what they want to prioritize.
    Then we can have a week of euphoria, followed by monthe of complaining, followed by months of debate as to when the next release is going to happen
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast