Thread: Windows 7 strategies to continue after support ends 14th Jan

Windows 7 strategies to continue after support ends 14th Jan

I realise in time the question will seem as ludicrous as asking to continue using Windows 95, but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated as I would really like to continue using W7 as long as possible, and I am aware I may have to keep any W7 machine offline to avoid viruses after 14th Jan. Is the way forward to find used machines with a W7 installation disc to avoid the acivation process if Microsoft withdraw that ? Any other solutions ?

Last edited by TheLexx; 01-02-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    ...I am aware I may have to keep any W7 machine offline to avoid viruses after 14th Jan...
    Windows 7 is not going to instantly fall over dead. Third party anti-virus tools like Sophos and Avast will likely continue to be supported/updated. The support that is discontinuing from Microsoft is more system related. For example, recent Windows updates may disable older, unsecure features (ie. SMB1 networking). But on Windows 7, Microsoft is not pulling that plug anymore.

Yes, you can probably use the Win7 serial sticker on the laptop to restore the OS, if you have the right ISO image. It may require a special OEM ISO.

If you're clinging to Win7 just for aesthetics, you might as well upgrade to Win 10 and style it to behave like Win7. https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Virus definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials will continue. The MSE program itself will not be, so if something nasty comes along that requires a change to MSE itself in order for it to be detected, then there may be problems.

---JvdL---

it might be worth the extra time hacking Win10, rather than hacking Win7.

i'm soon2b in the same situation.

it is not like we can escape Win10 forever...  

I may have to keep any W7 machine offline to avoid viruses after 14th Jan
    i think the risk is very low, especially if you can avoid the "hey-look-at-this.com" pages
    that said, better to be safe-ish.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-02-2020 at 10:13 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

dosnt it still have to be online to activate even if you have a key? and if you were to upgrade things like GPU after they fail would there end up being compatible drivers?
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

using AMD ryzens and x570

I read somewhere that ryzen 3700x-3900x, nvme's, m.2 sata drives require win10 as the drivers for those are not available for win 7 though there are hacks but these might be more headache than its worth. I belive ethe latest win 10 x64 is version 1909? I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    dosnt it still have to be online to activate even if you have a key?
    I edited my original post as I didn't want to ramble, but from Ebay I did get a Dell workstation laptop with the W7 sticker still on, so my understanding is that if I can get hold of the original installation disc it will be tied to that motherboard without any online required. Used machines like this might be an answer.

and if you were to upgrade things like GPU after they fail would there end up being compatible drivers?
    Oh yes, we are definitely talking a frozen-in-time thing, with all the pros or cons of that.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 01-03-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I realise in time the question will seem as ludicrous as asking to continue using Windows 95, but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated as I would really like to continue using W7 as long as possible, and I am aware I may have to keep any W7 machine offline to avoid viruses after 14th Jan. Is the way forward to find used machines with a W7 installation disc to avoid the acivation process if Microsoft withdraw that ? Any other solutions ?

Read in Active Computer Mag last year that you need Win 10 Pro to strip out all the Crap in Options.
    As you can't do that on vanilla home Editions.
    Also is there a log of Forum Hacks to stop Win 10 stubbling
    with LW 2019,and results on Nvidia driver problems & solves ?

Thanks

Read in Active Computer Mag last year that you need Win 10 Pro to strip out all the Crap in Options.
    maybe some people found out how to hack it or change the registry info somehow ?

also see >
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

maybe some people found out how to hack it or change the registry info somehow ?

also see >
    Ian might also find this article quite useful:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-in-windows-10

But to get back to the problem the OP is trying to resolve, I don't have a viable solution. I have three PCs and a laptop all running either Win 10 Pro or Win 10 Home. To allow me to run some very old software that cannot even be installed in Win 10, I have a fourth PC that I built several years ago. It is not connected to either the internet or my home network. It has a swappable boot drive that allows me to start up under WinXP, Win2k or Windows 7. I use a USB or other external drive to move files and data between this PC and my other systems so I can print stuff out or edit any resulting documents. Fortunately, I only need to fire it up three or four times a year as none of the programs in question are 3D or video related
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all