Thread: Substance painter to Lightwave?

Substance painter to Lightwave?

I'm currently looking at substance painter but i what i need to know is what is the best way to get surfaces from substance painter into Lightwave?

Im using 2019

Thanks!

I ve been tinkering with substance on and off for the last 2 months and haven’t found a definitive solution
    There’s some info on their forums but some of the info is outdated
    Od tools has an exporter script but I find it expensive if you just want that script as it s sold as a package.
    You need 2 obj objects
    One with only one uv map and one surface
    The other with 1 uv map and all surfaces defined as usual
    Then in substance you refer to the multi surface obj when baking the id map based on material/surface parts
    Going back to lw after painting you need to assign the maps
    That s as far as I got
    www.bytehawk.net

1 : Imac 27’ I7 mid 2017 8Gb ram

If there is a way to automate the xfer of material settings from Substance to LW I am not aware of it. I just load the images up and assign them manually in the node editor.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

You can just export PBR metalrough textures and it'll look fine. I recommend using a plugin to hook up the 5-6x textures though as dealing with the node setup on more than a few objects can be time consuming. I put out a free uncompiled python plugin that anyone can edit here:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ith-example%29

Requirements:
    - The object's name just be in the texture's prefix (Example: "MyCharacter_Diffuse")
    - Requires standard LW scene folder structure, and the currently-loaded scene must be within that folder structure
    - The selected surface is the one that gets edited, if your object has multiple surfaces, you'll need to select it first.

OD tools also has a PBR importer that also does this, but has some extra options.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 01-02-2020 at 03:06 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I had one problem with the Metal Rough preset if memory serves, it lets you alter how rough it is, but doesn't let you alter how specular it is... Or maybe it was vice versa. I added a black and white layer that I used for specularity. It didn't work within Substance but when I bought it into LW and plugged it in it worked as I intended.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu