Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New!  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

And to you too Erikals, so the new years promise is to avoid the vampire hours and get in to more normal night and day rythm..right

Thanks Prometheus, I really should get that proper day rhythm going... the problem is...

there's always just One more thing...   

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Thanks Prometheus, I really should get that proper day rhythm going... the problem is...

there's always just One more thing...   

Just remember: Sleep is overrated

Happy New Year everyone. Let's hope 2020 is a good year and that LW2020 will be a great release when it appears
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Just remember: Sleep is overrated

Happy New Year everyone. Let's hope 2020 is a good year and that LW2020 will be a great release when it appears
    Hardly overrated, the world would be a better place if people slept more.

... the world would be a better place if people slept more.
    nah, disagree, take Tesla for example, or DaVinci.   
    (my 2 idols by the way)  

A bit late, but Happy New Year everyone!

nah, disagree, take Tesla for example, or DaVinci.   
    (my 2 idols by the way)  
    Yes..before I wrote my comment, I had that thought in my mind about Davince,But listen..it is all highly related to the framework All humans work within and what impact their work and decisions have in society, and also highly dependent on which time era Humans Live in, as well as geography and other cultural situations, if you live up in tibet, herding and milking goats, you can probably get a way with a lot less sleeping, having 20 minutes of sleep every fourth over ..then go back to paint without any particular stress..at that age time, fine..and some artist may get away with it Even today, and may take use of the better connection with your dreams at stages...I myself could act in such way, but not while working on another none artist or none creative job, and since I do not drive..I could also get away with that.

Now put that in to relation to how many people work busy stressy days for a company, for the government and authorities,police,doctors, military...in such cases, you do not put Any such person in charge for important calls, and you do not want them out on the roads driving, and I do not want a doctor doing heart surgery if he only had slept 2 hours during the last 24 hours.

And I dare to state these are the more common situations in life and work, as well as little kids having slept to little, then back in school they can not learn, they get frustrated and may even adapt bully personality.

so No...I strongly disagree that sleep is overated, refering to small oddities that isnīt representable and also in this case..in a completely different time era isnīt backing the assertment up that less sleep is better.

Despite davinciīs little sleep, it didnīt gave him extra time do do any decent 3D work as in sculptures, but maybe it just wasnīt his game.

With little sleep in the creative field, you will have more time to be creative, but you may also risc depression and you will not be able to function properly under the more normal business activity.

Stress, anger, frustration, depression, mistakes, accidents...I bet there is a sh..load of these things happening each day and night causing people to abuse each other, hurt eac hother as an effect of sleep deprivation, amongst the other elements I mentioned.

and now, for the million dollar question you and I both have avoided...

...what is little sleep.  

i can get away with 5 hours, (straight or split) if the day hasn't been full of stress.

Stress, anger, frustration, depression, mistakes, accidents...I bet there is a sh..load of these things happening each day and night causing people to abuse each other, hurt each other as an effect of sleep deprivation, amongst the other elements I mentioned.
    this one is new to me tho'
    usually the actual factor is something else.

that said, anxiety and depression follows if the day rhythm isn't constant.
    but that is related to the lack of rhythm, not the amount of sleep.
    of course, if the amount of sleep is way too low, mistakes / anxiety / depression follows.

a family man for example will need a minimum of 5+ hours sleep.

also, driving a car being sleepy, is dangerous.
    scientists compare it to drinking and driving.

the Uberman sleep cycle for example can't be used by parents, it simply doesn't work when attending kids.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-02-2020 at 04:58 PM.

To prometheus and erikals, please note my use of a big smile emojii with my comment Before this thread starts getting far too deep and meaningful, let's get back to the happy positive thoughts for 2020

Is it too early to start talking about how many days there are till Christmas 2020 ?
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Sure, why not.  

Here, in Norwegian mind you, some of the most important science news this decade.

https://translate.google.com/transla...et_-1.14829225

and now, for the million dollar question you and I both have avoided...

...what is little sleep.  

i can get away with 5 hours, (straight or split) if the day hasn't been full of stress.

this one is new to me tho'
    usually the actual factor is something else.
    seems quite hyped.
    that said, anxiety and depression follows if the day rhythm isn't constant.
    but that is related to the lack of rhythm, not the amount of sleep.
    of course, if the amount of sleep is way too low, mistakes / anxiety / depression follows.

a family man for example will need a minimum of 5+ hours sleep.

also, driving a car being sleepy, is dangerous.
    scientists compare it to drinking and driving.

the Uberman sleep cycle for example can't be used by parents, it simply doesn't work when attending kids.
    NOt a million dollar question, a lot of studies and conclusions has already been made on to what the best amount of sleeping time in General should be for us, in order to function and be healthy.

You mention a family man need a minimum of 5 hours sleep, where do you get that info from, some recent scientific studies come to the conclusion that 8:45 is the ideal amount of time needed for sleeping, but this will most likely be very individual as well, depending on age, genes, and what you do for living and a bunch of other factors in your healt maybe.

But that time rhymes very well with my self actually, if I sleep 8:45 regulary..then I really do not need much more sleep than that, heck..I have even gone to work and worked a single day..without having slept the whole day before, which means I was awake maybe 22 hours before I went to work, then working for 8 hours, so that is 30 hours without sleep, then back home and passing out in the bed within a few minutes...and I manage to do the work ..but it goes slowly, and not effictive..just to ensure I do not do any mistakes, and I can work after 4 hours or 5 hours of sleep, the question is how good I would be at work, or maybe how dangerous.

Remember, you get plaque in the brain if you have too little sleep, which can cause memory issues..and further on Alzheimers.
    And 5 hours before work..maybe some people can handle a couple of days like that, this doesnīt mean they are unaffected by too little sleep, so I doubt Any scientist would recommend that.

This one..
    https://www.sleephealthjournal.org/a...015-7/fulltext
    Results

The panel agreed that, for healthy individuals with normal sleep, the appropriate sleep duration for newborns is between 14 and 17 hours, infants between 12 and 15 hours, toddlers between 11 and 14 hours, preschoolers between 10 and 13 hours, and school-aged children between 9 and 11 hours. For teenagers, 8 to 10 hours was considered appropriate, 7 to 9 hours for young adults and adults, and 7 to 8 hours of sleep for older adults.

To me what this says, and many other studies, 7-9 hours..sounds very reasonable and in line with what I also need, though I think I needed a little bit more sleeptime some 5-10 years ago.
    if I work with 5-7 hours each day for a week or two, then I need at least 10-11 hours a couple of days to get battery loaded again, but best is if I can sleep regulary at the same time and the same amount of about 8:45 hours aday.

The problem is partly what I believe to be genetic and has a bit to do with the bloodgroup, in my case I have a very hard time getting up in the morning, takes a long time..while when I am up to speed, I can be awake for a long long time, not getting sleepy until early morning hours, my body temp seem to be very low in the morning.

Then I got some other issues, such as I have to get up and pee 5-6 times at night..meaning I do not get a long deep continuos sleep, maybe 1:30 minutes..then up and pee, then again 1:30 minutes ..up and pee and so on and so on, frustrating.

Then I also sometimes get my nose all blocked (chronical rhinit) had a surgery fixing a curvy nosebone, and removing some brosk, and also burning nose muzzles) it mayed quite a bit of a difference, but every now and then I still get all blocked in the nose, if I only knew exactly what it could be...I know it can be caused by mite, so I make sure to wash the bed clothing after a week, and also use only synthetic pillows, but I guess it may have to do with temperature, air pressure, humidity..and perhaps also the cycle of bodyfluids in my body.

If I only had to go up at 1 time during the night, and sleep for the rest of the night, maybe I could get down to be effectivly rested after 7 hours.

Then again, life demands different things from us, I have no kids..And to say not the least, no Wife that requires that extra sleeping time.

well, i'm not going to expand on this, other than to say different studies have different conclusions.

day 1 - potato is good for you
    day 2 - potato is bad for you

tho' not uber-comparable, we'll have to agree to disagree a bit.  

...p.s, in no way do i say minus -5 hours is optimal.  
    Last edited by erikals; 01-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.

well, i'm not going to expand on this, other than to say different studies have different conclusions.

day 1 - potato is good for you
    day 2 - potato is bad for you

tho' not uber-comparable, we'll have to agree to disagree a bit.  

...p.s, in no way do i say minus -5 hours is optimal.  
    Not going in to it further either,..after this point if you can not recognize the importance of sleeping longer than 5 hours..or assert that other studies says otherwise, then we surely agree to disagree.
    Ok -5 not optimal, but I do not hope you seriously mean a few minutes over 5hours is optimal I can ask all my former collegues, and from what I gathered during the years of coffe talk and other talks, none would be anywhere near sane if they only slept that little every day...most of them would say.."ahh..nice, tonight I slept 8 hours" rather than "I only got 6 hours of sleep" so if not going for what is optimal to manage the days, and not sleeping the day away so to speak, but rather sleeping exactly as much as you would like to or need to in order to feel fresh and strong during the day.

By the way...to perform good, One could also practice the Björn Borg routine, lower the temp to 12 degrees in your room, strip naked..and then sleep for nine or ten hours, that is what borg is rumoured to have done during the years of his prime time, then again..his physical training probably demanded that from him, not sure..it could have been with him a long time though, He also said he never ever felt tired during one single game...except for being tired of the whole circus around it in his last days of prime.

Itīs one thing getting through the day or surviving for a period of time with 5 hours a sleep aday, and it is another thing sleeping til you feel rested after maybe 8-9 hours...I wonder how many would feel rested after 5 hours VS 8:45 minutes..would you be more sleepy ..jetlagged sort of if you slept as long as 8:45 minutes, and thus you can not sleep That long etc?
    Iīm just trying to get the point through of being properly rested and not just getting by.

And look at the clock, normally in this time zone, people should have woken up two hours ago, and I am not in bed yet, but Itīs time now..letīs try and practise what I learn, so sleeping time now.

no, not saying 5 is optimal. 7 or so is optimal.
    agree, 5 is more to "get by".
    latest news is that sleeping too long is actually quite unhealthy, and so is sleeping too short.  

none would be anywhere near sane if they only slept that little every day...
    well, it is actually just as bad, or worse, to not have a constant day rhythm(s).
    i'm unfortunately guilty there. trying to improve.

Good morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast