Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exporting UV Map through GIMP to graphics softwares

Exporting UV Map through GIMP to graphics softwares

I've creating a separate thread on this because I don't want beginners to get confused on the earlier post I made involving Paintshop Pro. That was made because last year I was frustrated that PsP couldn't properly import an EPS from Lightwave when it should. This method, and whatever else will be posted, is better, cheaper, and more flexible.

(This lesson has brought to you today by the letters D,O, and H.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stage01.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	146532

This is a UV Map in Lightwave 3D. To export it just go to File > Save > Export > Export EPS

Name:	Stage02.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	146533

With this method I didn't need to draw the grid lines or points for reference. In my other method I needed it to help fit the file into Paintshop Pro's canvas. I can even change the page size output to more than the usual printed page sizes and dimensions. * Be sure to choose the Texture UV view when exporting.
    Last edited by Bernie2Strokes; 12-30-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Name:	Stage03.png 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	146534

Using the freeware called GIMP, I was able to open up the EPS easily and at any size and resolution I desire. For Lightwavers who don't own Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator this very helpful.

Name:	Stage04.png 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	146535

Looking closely you'll see it can import this UV Map at a fairly large size. The rulers are set to inches here.
    System:

Name:	Stage05.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	588.3 KB 
ID:	146536

You can export from GIMP into any other format you wish to open it up with. It includes native Photoshop format if you desire. But here I used the TIFF format. That allows it to be opened in many illustrative programs like Corel Painter. I can still open this up in Paintshop Pro or Adobe's Photoshop. But the reason I'll be using Krita is because it's a free open source program. Also it has a very easy way to remove the background color.

Under Krita's main menu go to Filter > Colours > Colour to Alpha. Instant white background removal. Be sure to make that layer editable to get the effect. You can now paint under the UV map layer to create you own texture map. (I made the background layer below myself. It's not automatically created when you start editing a file you've opened.)
    Last edited by Bernie2Strokes; 12-30-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    System:

Another method is to use this plugin from Splotchdog. It automatically creates a large image file you can illustrate with. If you don't have GIMP and want to directly illustrate, this works too.

http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?...ins&Itemid=161
    System:

You're obviously on Windows, on the Mac EPS export was broken in 2018 and still broken in 2019, EPS is a vector format so what size you choose to export at is irrelevant, the advantage of EPS is you can round trip it via Illustrator make vector shape masks selectively from the file and copy and paste them into Photoshop, or if you use Affinity do it all in one place, this can be very useful

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    You're obviously on Windows, on the Mac EPS export was broken in 2018 and still broken in 2019,
    TrueArt's Modeling Pack
    http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
    has tool VMapManager, which has sub-tool "Save UV Map Image",

and it should work on Mac 32 bit and 64 bit..

thank you for that Sensei but I want EPS as it's a vector format, it would be nice if Newtek upgraded the exporter to include SVG, probably come with a free flying pig

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    You're obviously on Windows, on the Mac EPS export was broken in 2018 and still broken in 2019, EPS is a vector format so what size you choose to export at is irrelevant, the advantage of EPS is you can round trip it via Illustrator make vector shape masks selectively from the file and copy and paste them into Photoshop, or if you use Affinity do it all in one place, this can be very useful
    The above method is also for those who don't have Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Lightwave's EPS export is still readable by both of them. For anybody who wants to get Inkscape or Krita it will do fine.
    System:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    The above method is also for those who don't have Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Lightwave's EPS export is still readable by both of them. For anybody who wants to get Inkscape or Krita it will do fine.
    Neither krita or inkscape imports any eps format, so you can not export the uv as eps files and expect to get that in to krita or inkscape, krita imports svg when you import layer and choose it, and inkscape just load svg without issues, but Lightwave doesnīt export any svg.

You would have to convert the eps to svg if you find a free good online services, that way you can work with vector format uvīs inside of the free krita o inkscape.
    But as mentioned earlier by me, a huge shame Lightwave doesnīt have a good svg import and a model svg export for that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post

Name:	Stage03.png 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	146534

Using the freeware called GIMP, I was able to open up the EPS easily and at any size and resolution I desire. For Lightwavers who don't own Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator this very helpful.

Name:	Stage04.png 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	146535

Looking closely you'll see it can import this UV Map at a fairly large size. The rulers are set to inches here.
    By the way, Gimp isnīt a vector editor, it only rasters it to an image, so why not just use tibsheins copy uv, and you donīt have to bother with import settings at all, and just paint away in krita for instance, which I prefer over Gimp for painting.

I also get failure issues with eps import to gimp.

With the free splotchdog/tibe3 CopyUV..
    You get a maximum resolution of 8192 for any UV template, and it is copying to the clipboard,and you simply paste it in your paint program.

Name:	tibe 3 copyUV.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	146541

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Neither krita or inkscape imports any eps format, so you can not export the uv as eps files and expect to get that in to krita or inkscape, krita imports svg when you import layer and choose it, and inkscape just load svg without issues, but Lightwave doesnīt export any svg.

You would have to convert the eps to svg if you find a free good online services, that way you can work with vector format uvīs inside of the free krita o inkscape.
    But as mentioned earlier by me, a huge shame Lightwave doesnīt have a good svg import and a model svg export for that kind of stuff.
    Thanks for clarifying that. But I meant you can use GIMP to create a file that can be exported into Krita and Inkscape.
    System:

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    By the way, Gimp isnīt a vector editor, it only rasters it to an image, so why not just use tibsheins copy uv, and you donīt have to bother with import settings at all, and just paint away in krita for instance, which I prefer over Gimp for painting.

I also get failure issues with eps import to gimp.

With the free splotchdog/tibe3 CopyUV..
    You get a maximum resolution of 8192 for any UV template, and it is copying to the clipboard,and you simply paste it in your paint program.

Name:	tibe 3 copyUV.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	146541

I already mentioned the CopyUV plugin above.
    System:

For users who need to work in EPS or SVG format please offer a demonstration of how you use it after exporting a UV map.
    System:

Oddly. Affinity Photo can read 2019 EPS files exported from Modeler just fine. It even seems to understand curves but I haven't figured that out yet; didn't even know it could do that. It can also Export out to SVG so Inkscape can be used if desired.

Haven't quite figured out Inkscape's Trace Bitmap tool yet & then break those out to separate layers as Illustrator does.
    Last edited by Ma3rk; 01-01-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Oddly. Affinity Photo can read 2019 EPS files exported from Modeler just fine. It even seems to understand curves but I haven't figured that out yet; didn't even know it could do that. It can also Export out to SVG so Inkscape can be used if desired.

Haven't quite figured out Inkscape's Trace Bitmap tool yet & then break those out to separate layers as Illustrator does.

Itīs not hard..and it is definitely doable,Itīs great to grab some celctic clip art, and make 3d shapes out of that when imported as svg in blender, but I personally do not have any use of the UV map in vector format whatsoever, I just use the template in the background to paint over.
    once you have loaded the image or pasted it in to inkscape, make sure you also have it selected..otherwise the trace bitmap wonīt work..and remember to check live preview as well to see the changes taking effect before applying it, you can also scale this window up, then update and the preview will be a little bigger in width..adapting to the window.

Name:	trace.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	146556

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast