Thread: Modeler 2019.x with Intel GFX - garbled, unusable orthographic views

Modeler 2019.x with Intel GFX - garbled, unusable orthographic views

Has anyone using an Intel card as their primary GPU figured out a way to get their models to show up properly in Modeler 2019 in orthographic, wired views?

I have three machines with Intel cards - a "gaming laptop", a Surface Pro 4 i7 and a Surface Pro 7 i7. On all 3, when in Wireframe Shade or Textured Wired in an orthographic view, the Z order of the wireframe overlay is all messed up and the result is an indecipherable mess that's impossible to work with. The issue isn't present when in a perspective view.

I've reported this multiple times via the bug submittal route but the problem has never been resolved - it's an issue with LW2019 and Intel cards (I'm assuming that the error was created with the implementation of hi-res monitor support because the problem doesn't exist in LW2018).

Anyway - I'm attaching screenshots of the sample character that comes with the YS plugins. You can see how he displays just fine in 2018, however he's quite disgusting in 2019 (the interface is also too huge but that's another gripe).

Any help here would be appreciated. At present, I'm having to use LW2018 for all my Modeler work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	422.5 KB 
ID:	146522

Name:	2019_P.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	146523

Name:	2018.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	662.0 KB 
ID:	146524

Has Newtek given any responses to the bugs? Have they been able to repeat the issue there?

Other than making sure you have the latest drivers, there's not a whole lot you can do about problems like that. Maybe try temporarily moving config files, and seeing if replacement clean configs work better?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

In my Report archive it's listed as either "re-opened" and/or "in progress" (I've submitted the bug report multiple times). It's a genuine 2019.x bug that didn't show up until they implemented hi-res screen support - the issue isn't present in LW2011-LW2018. I've tried everything on my end from switching machines to reinstalling. If you're using an Intel card with LW2019, you're kinda stuck. Anyone on a laptop with an integrated Intel and discrete Nvidia setup would be able to replicate the issue by switching off their discrete card in their bios and then booting up with only the Intel card.

Was posting it here in case someone else has run into this issue and found a work around (aside from going back to LW2018 for Modeler).
    Last edited by glw; 12-30-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Yeah, status suggests they're aware of the issue. Unfortunate to hear, guess LW2019 is broken on my Surface Pro as well (hadn't had a chance/need to install 2019 there yet, but it was on a long to-do list).

When did you first file a bug on this issue? How long since Newtek acknowledged it?

Also, why did you need to submit multiple times, were earlier ones closed for some reason?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

The first bug report I can see on my side is from June 3rd, 2019 (that one is marked "closed"), the other bug reports were submitted on July 19th (marked "in progress") and then August 9th (marked "open").

I first noticed the bug after the Nvidia card in my laptop died. I opened up LW2019 to work on a project and everything was all messed up; I thought my files got fried. After going through the steps you suggested in your first post a couple of times and even uninstalling LW2019, I tried the .LWO in LW2018 and everything was just the way it was supposed to be. I use an iMac with some fancy AMD card at work and luckily my stuff shows up just fine there in LW2019. No love for Intel though.

I'm assuming that the issue is related to the implementation of Display Scaling ( https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/ ). Unfortunately though, simply changing the display scaling in Windows doesn't resolve the problem.

LW2019 @ 100% display scaling (the images from the original post were all @ 150%).

Name:	2019_scaling.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	146531

Try to switch your GL mode to Streaming instead VBO (in modeler display settings GL tab) and then see. It'll be slower (old mode to CPU instead buggering to GPU) but should be good and if you don't use heavy polycount you might get away with it.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Try to switch your GL mode to Streaming instead VBO (in modeler display settings GL tab) and then see. It'll be slower (old mode to CPU instead buggering to GPU) but should be good and if you don't use heavy polycount you might get away with it.
    That was one of the first things I tried but unfortunately, no dice. If I'm not mistaken, my Surface Pro 7 has Intel's latest GPU so it should just work, you know.

The Intel cards work just fine on LW2011-LW2018.

Name:	2019options.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	427.0 KB 
ID:	146538

I have essentially the same issue using an nNvidia GTX 1050Ti. I think its some kind of clipping issue within LW. If I zoom in it goes away for the most part.

Name:	SameIssue.jpg 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	146539

Name:	SameIssue-Zoom.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	146540

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I have essentially the same issue using an nNvidia GTX 1050Ti. I think its some kind of clipping issue within LW. If I zoom in it goes away for the most part.

Name:	SameIssue.jpg 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	146539

Name:	SameIssue-Zoom.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	146540
    That's exactly it! Thanks for posting these screenshots. I had no idea the nVidia GTX 1050Ti was affected too.

Quote Originally Posted by glw View Post
    The first bug report I can see on my side is from June 3rd, 2019 (that one is marked "closed"), the other bug reports were submitted on July 19th (marked "in progress") and then August 9th (marked "open").

I first noticed the bug after the Nvidia card in my laptop died. I opened up LW2019 to work on a project and everything was all messed up; I thought my files got fried. After going through the steps you suggested in your first post a couple of times and even uninstalling LW2019, I tried the .LWO in LW2018 and everything was just the way it was supposed to be. I use an iMac with some fancy AMD card at work and luckily my stuff shows up just fine there in LW2019. No love for Intel though.

I'm assuming that the issue is related to the implementation of Display Scaling ( https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/ ). Unfortunately though, simply changing the display scaling in Windows doesn't resolve the problem.

LW2019 @ 100% display scaling (the images from the original post were all @ 150%).

Name:	2019_scaling.png 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	146531
    Just an update. I was wrong regarding the OpenGL issue not being present on my iMac with its Retina 4k Display. The same problem that exists on my Surface Pro with its Intel card also exists on my iMac with its Radeon card.

FIXED in 2020.0.1!!!!

The dev team fixed this issue in LW 2020.0.1! I can finally use orthographic views in Modeler again. Very happy. Thank you!!!!

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-28 074832.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	147954