Thread: Delivery vehicle concept

Delivery vehicle concept

This my Big Idea!!! for an autonomous delivery vehicle. This is idea 1. Prototype 2 is what I have been posting about creating a spline controlled conveyor system. Still working on that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2pD_PUl3UY

Blog Entries
    Interesting concept.

My questions would be,

1.) Is the intent of this vehicle to a) augment current delivery services logistics or b) replace current delivery services' human delivery personell?
    2.) Given that most delivery drivers have to deliver upwards of 40 packages a day, how many deliveries could one of these make in a day?
    3.) Who signs for the packages? And how?
    4.) If no one signs for it, how do you ensure the security of the delivered package?
    5.) What benefits would the ADV bring to a delivery company over that of their human drivers? In other words, why would they be interested in the ADV?

I like it but I think it should be made easier more simple, no moving parts,
    so the customer walks up to the vehicle, punches in a code on the box.
    Finished.  

Cool idea.  
    just remove the moving parts.
    removing parts also makes it able to carry more load.

but again, Love it.  
    Last edited by erikals; 12-29-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Good questions. Yes 1.) the intent is in the (rural setting only) this would replace the human driver.
    2.) The capacity was a struggle to get this version to 32 stops using a cargo van as a size template. To actually build it I would need to work with the shipper such as Amazon or Alibaba to narrow down their most popular package sizes. Then the capacity may go up by a few. I designed this with the 9 large sizes compartments on the bottom for big or heavier boxes. The final design would be determined with that collaboration.
    3.) This would only work for "no signature required" packages, mostly what Amazon does a lot of UPS and I would be guessing Alibaba or DHL in U.K. and Europe. Possibly for some signature required packages the customer could sign a waiver electronically. The customer would know if their home/farm was safe and could do that.
    4.) About security, again this is just the rural environment. It's actually what I do for 22 years in rural Colorado. I barely ever see a person and packages are left on porches, at gates, by barns. The idea of a beacon would direct the RDV to the drop spot. That would be set up over time with so many repeat customers. A human would be able to remote drive in other cases.
    5.) The benefits to a delivery company is "the bottom line". In the rural environment it can take upwards of 30 to 40 min. for one stop. That driver is paid 15 to 30hr and the shipping on the pkg is half that or less. The truck they are driving is a van or pickup ballpark 35K. Plus the human is getting company insurance, uniforms, company is paying workers comp insurance. Just ballparking I think one human could control 4 to 6 RDV's at a computer station because it would be on it's own a lot.The human would just take over when needed. In a station of 20 routes even if you kept 6 human routes using 12 RDV routes eliminating 12 humans at a cost of 50k each that would be a $600,000 savings per year. This is comparing if Tesla can make a truck starting at 39k something like this would have to ba able to be manufactured for less. The 6 humans would take care of all the loading, data entry on the RDV and manning the computer station as well as running a manned routes. 3 or 4 at the computer station and 2 or 3 out on the road.

In reply to erikals what you are describing is already being done. I think they are Boxbot. Plus I found about 6 others making robots for single delivery's that the customer has to come out and get the package or pizza etc. Those look cool in the promotional videos but my experience is people do not want to be bothered. I'm not being cynical but it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get a signature. I have no solution for the urban world because yes theft is the problem. Amazon has one that supposed to stay at your home then go out to a central delivery truck get the package and go back to your house supposedly opening your garage door and going in! I can just see a thief or worse person waiting for it to come back and he just walks in.

The moving parts is a concern. So many doors and robotic arms, possible maintenance headaches, that what I was working on the internal conveyor, i.e. my spline control issues. The 2nd prototype would have 3 levels with internal conveyors that would rotate around to just 3 doors. Each door would have a retractable ramp to slide the package to the ground. Still working on that.

I would like to say I'm not anti human!! It's coming, automation in many new areas will happen. I'm just developing what's in my imagination as I'm actually out there doing the job as a human for now. Thanks, I appreciate the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbfUrYGwtw Curve to spline conveyor, Still a lot to figure out. thanks