Thread: What's the best method for Falling Snow now with LW2019?

What's the best method for Falling Snow now with LW2019?

Having not used it in a few versions & with the changes in 2019, I'm confused how to approach having particle snow that's falling & accumulates on obects. Not finding any sample scenes other than for VBD and that's not really what I'm after, at least I don't think it is.

There are two emitter types now: HV Emitter and Partigon Emitter. Either type automatically uses the FX_Emitter custom object plug-in to create the particles. The difference between the two selections is the type of object that each uses in Layout, which affects how they render.

Huh? Example of what this actually means would have been nice.

HV Emitters

These use null objects that are invisible by themselves. To render particles from HVEmitters, you must add either new Volumetrics or legacy ones (in which case you need to engage Legacy HyperVoxels on the Volumetrics tab of Render Properties). If you use legacy HyperVoxels, in the HyperVoxels Panel, activate the HVEmitter object. If you use gradients with HyperVoxels parameters, special particle-related Input Parameters will be available.

The character I'm wanting to use needs the new Volumetrics as I've lights that need it, so letting out using HV's it would seem w/o getting into multiple setups & compositing.

Which leaves ...
    Partigon Emitters

Partigon Emitters, on the other hand, use partigon objects - special objects designed specifically for use by particle systems. Essentially, they generate single-point polygons on the fly. Single-point polygons have a surface and you can use normal surfacing techniques. The surface will even be visible in shaded OpenGL viewports.

I see the surface listed in Surface Panel, but I'm not getting anything to show however in VPR. In wireframe I have indications but nada with F9.

Is there a step I'm missing such as assigning an object item to be used as the particles? I'm not seeing that ability anywhere now.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Having not used it in a few versions & with the changes in 2019, I'm confused how to approach having particle snow that's falling & accumulates on obects. Not finding any sample scenes other than for VBD and that's not really what I'm after, at least I don't think it is.

There are two emitter types now: HV Emitter and Partigon Emitter. Either type automatically uses the FX_Emitter custom object plug-in to create the particles. The difference between the two selections is the type of object that each uses in Layout, which affects how they render.

Huh? Example of what this actually means would have been nice.

HV Emitters

These use null objects that are invisible by themselves. To render particles from HVEmitters, you must add either new Volumetrics or legacy ones (in which case you need to engage Legacy HyperVoxels on the Volumetrics tab of Render Properties). If you use legacy HyperVoxels, in the HyperVoxels Panel, activate the HVEmitter object. If you use gradients with HyperVoxels parameters, special particle-related Input Parameters will be available.

The character I'm wanting to use needs the new Volumetrics as I've lights that need it, so letting out using HV's it would seem w/o getting into multiple setups & compositing.

Which leaves ...
    Partigon Emitters

Partigon Emitters, on the other hand, use partigon objects - special objects designed specifically for use by particle systems. Essentially, they generate single-point polygons on the fly. Single-point polygons have a surface and you can use normal surfacing techniques. The surface will even be visible in shaded OpenGL viewports.

I see the surface listed in Surface Panel, but I'm not getting anything to show however in VPR. In wireframe I have indications but nada with F9.

Is there a step I'm missing such as assigning an object item to be used as the particles? I'm not seeing that ability anywhere now.
    See Mr.Rids 'Wind River' Vid the making of.
    Or buy Kat Kelly's New vid on Liberty3d &
    Suck up a free opt of Fusion. Both top LW answers.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    See Mr.Rids 'Wind River' Vid the making of.
    Or buy Kat Kelly's New vid on Liberty3d &
    Suck up a free opt of Fusion. Both top LW answers.
    You have a link for Mr, Rids vid? I'll take a look at what Kat has.

I'll eventually pick up Fusion when I get back north, but not for this system.

Can you better describe the application? If you don't need a high level of detail and don't require snow to dust off of the collision object with turbulence, I cannot imagine accumulating particles to be a good expense of processing time. You might be able to get away with 2 morph targets of light coverings and fuller piles of snow.

My mind recently went numb skimming through hours of Allan McKay's Thanos disintegration tutorial (aka "a reverse snowfall"). While he's instructing more than just the effect, one cannot help to imagine so many other more efficient ways to set this effect up in minutes, often with simpler 2D compositing solutions.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

You can actually start off with a partigon emitter, and still apply hvīs to it, or turn the hvīs off and render the one point polyīs as they are, or as mentioned, apply hypervoxels with clipmap texture for instance..a tiny snowflake for instance.

A big difference is that you can save out the partigon emitter at any time as a transformed object if needed for some reason, which you can not with a hv emitter, Unless applying the particle2partigon command.
    For the partigon not showing up, you have probably set it up in such scale that they are too small by default, or your backdrop is sort of blending in too much, turn off backdrop, then go to properties of the partigon emitter, and the primitive tab, you have two subtabs (geometry and Edges) it is from the Edges tab you set the scale of the partigon (particle/line thickness)
    You can overide the small/medium/ and large settings..which is 1.2 and 3 by entering manual values in the value field, like ten..then you will see how the partigon will render as smalll spheres.
    You can not however with partigons alone get random particle scale.

And for the record, you do not need to use partigon emitters, you can apply the new volumetrics on it, though it will render slower.

And..you can add clipmaps to partigon emitters as well..just tested..
    Experimental..not specificly for snow..but may be used perhaps.

But you may also simply instance a single polyplate with texturing on to the particles as well...sample image, only partigons 50 pixels, using clipmaps and procedural node editor to add a clipmap with Rmans shape bomber, you need world coord checked for it to work, you could also use image bomber and add a snowflake styled image or similar, but in this case it is stenciling a star hole, and thus cutting in the partigon surface and the volumetric lights shines through that, for a snowflake clipmap on partigons, you would have to add an invert node between the alpha output and the value in the clipmap..at least for these shape rman textures.
    If you use normal textures, it depends on what is black and white in your texture of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partigon with clipmap and volumetric light..jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	146496

Thanx for all the input folk. A lot to digest so will be getting back with a more questions.

I guess the easiest way to answer a number of questions is with an image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightBob_FrozenLake.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	146498

This was from trying to suss out another problem with glass & liquids that turned out to having Draft mode on for VPR. Doh!

Anyway, once I got things working with LightBob, I was looking for a suitable HDR to play around with. Needed something dark or nighttime & came across this one. So after awhile, i.e. a glass or two, etc., the idea came about of, well, what if Rudolph had forgotten his spare...

And that's when the idea of adding snow came about. That USED to be a fairly simple thing to do directly in Layout. So, I'm just looking to add snow to the overall scene & some sticking on his head & arm. No animation, but you know how things tend to grow with What If's. Eventually snow tracks perhaps; found some of Jennifer H.'s old vids from a old LALWUG meeting. He is only FK rigged at the moment.

Cool

Thinking in my 11.5 box a giant sphere witha snow raster image mapped onto it's one-sided polygons over your background pitching down slowly and looping would do nicely in some casesd!

Like:Attachment 146511

TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition with NDI Camera, LightWave 11.5 + SpeedEDIT 4.2
    Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com
    Available in The NewTek Store: https://store.newtek.com/index.php/content/soundtrack-bundle.htm

DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Thanks for the links. Would never have found them on my own.

Maybe this'll be something I'll revisit next year.

With the amount of snow going on you may not have to wait.
    Yikes!

"Cartoon Kat"
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com