Thread: TriCaster40 and NDI Cameras

TriCaster40 and NDI Cameras

I have a TriCaster40 that I bought about 2014. It uses Component inputs so it is pre-SDI. Will its software be able to make use of NDI cameras? If not, is there a software upgrade path that won't require any hardware upgrades?

The TC40 does not support NDI directly.

There is a workaround if you want to use another computer. 'ZEN NDI RTx (NDI Receiver-Transmitter)' allows you to convert NDI into the AirSend protocol which is supported by the NET inputs on the TC40 (or 300/450/455/850/855 systems).

You can download ZEN NDI RTx (NDI Receiver-Transmitter) here. http://www.zenvideo.co.uk/ndi.htm#NDIRTx
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

kanep, thanks for the information. I have downloaded it. I suppose I will probably not really need to use this but it is good to know that it is available. My network is mostly 100Base-T so I suppose that I am not really ready to use NDI anyway. I'll probably just direct connect the camera to the TriCaster and preserve a lot of network bandwidth. I am pretty sure that the TriCaster can save the unaltered video stream. My only concern is that going to analogue and then digital again can only erode the quality of the captured video.

It would be better to capture the original digital for subsequent reprocessing. I am a filmmaker and I only use live video processing (thus the need for TriCaster in the first place) for the convenience of the director to gauge and estimate the final qualify after post-processing of the originals. I believe that using Newtek Connect I can save the original digital source in parallel with using the output of the camera's HDMI port for real time shooting. I gather that I will need to provide a minimal GBit Ethernet to the collecting PC to accomplish this. I have a computer with dual 1000Base-T ports. A loop-back cable (usually yellow in color) might be able to do this without the need for a hub. Is this sound thinking?
    Last edited by PabloMack; 12-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post
    A loop-back cable (usually yellow in color) might be able to do this without the need for a hub.?
    I meant a Cross Cable, not a Loop Back Cable.