Thread: Absolute PTZ commands don't work

Question Absolute PTZ commands don't work

I'm using the C# library wrapper with the Birddog P100 camera over NDI. I found that the following commands don't work when setting PTZ. The return is 'true', but the camera does not move:

Code:
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_zoom(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float zoom_value);
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_pan_tilt(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float pan_value,const float tilt_value);
    The only way I was able to get the camera moving is by using the 'speed' version of the above functions:

Code:
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_zoom_speed(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float zoom_speed);
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_pan_tilt_speed(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float pan_speed, const float tilt_speed);
    Is this an error with NDI library or P100 implementation, or am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by PtzMan View Post
    I'm using the C# library wrapper with the Birddog P100 camera over NDI. I found that the following commands don't work when setting PTZ. The return is 'true', but the camera does not move:

Code:
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_zoom(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float zoom_value);
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_pan_tilt(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float pan_value,const float tilt_value);
    The only way I was able to get the camera moving is by using the 'speed' version of the above functions:

Code:
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_zoom_speed(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float zoom_speed);
    bool NDIlib_recv_ptz_pan_tilt_speed(NDIlib_recv_instance_t p_instance, const float pan_speed, const float tilt_speed);
    Is this an error with NDI library or P100 implementation, or am I doing something wrong?
    Whilst many people are initially drawn towards the absolute positioning mode of PTZ Cameras, once you try it - it often turns out to be largely folly - due to various caveats, and you likely end up using relative movement commands. Perhaps this has led to less than complete implementation for absolute positioning in some products.

You may want to try your camera with Sienna NDI Monitor for macOS. This has menu options which will allow you to experiment with absolute and relative modes - and deduce whether lack of support for specific commands is the issue with the device you are testing.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndimonitor.html

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    Whilst many people are initially drawn towards the absolute positioning mode of PTZ Cameras, once you try it - it often turns out to be largely folly - due to various caveats, and you likely end up using relative movement commands. Perhaps this has led to less than complete implementation for absolute positioning in some products.

You may want to try your camera with Sienna NDI Monitor for macOS. This has menu options which will allow you to experiment with absolute and relative modes - and deduce whether lack of support for specific commands is the issue with the device you are testing.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndimonitor.html
    We use absolute PTZ positioning to allow moving/zooming by pointing or drawing rectangles on a touch-screen, and it works with serial commands. I'm simply migrating to network protocol to make installs easier. Thanks for the suggestion, it should let me rule out which component is causing an issue. Having said that, to completely migrate to NDI, I will also need to find a way to query for current PTZ position, and it doesn't look like it can be done using NDI.