Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To be fair ...

To be fair ...

This is very cool but imagine back in the good ol LW dev days if someone had said that the community would have to implement a render engine to get LW competitive and users engaged. I am sure the answer would have been WTF?

Sincere and enthusiastic encouragement to the community devs, my sympathies and condolences to the LW devs :/
    Last edited by gar26lw; 10-05-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Agree, i don't want to derail this thread too much, but you have a point.

That said, there are times the 2018 /2019 render engine shines tho, especially in regards to NPR.

from my tests rendering for example "The Grinch" in LightWave 2019 would produce a Beautiful result.
    (no, sorry, not sharing those test renders, since they are in-house tests)

lets see if NT can speed things up down the road, especially in regards to AntiAliasing.
    Last edited by erikals; 10-05-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    This is very cool but imagine back in the good ol LW dev days if someone had said that the community would have to implement a render engine to get LW competitive and users engaged. I am sure the answer would have been WTF?

Sincere and enthusiastic encouragement to the community devs, my sympathies and condolences to the LW devs :/

Condolences to them suggest that the team has given up without no intention of revival, I hope they see this serving as an incentive and an opportunity to jump higher than the previous one.
    Remembering when Fprime was talk of the town, and things that many many years ago was working in Fprime..lbut we still havenīt gotten it in VPR, like a paus and resume render function, cycles also has that function to pause the render and just unpaus it to start iterate from the latest finished samples..so I wonder if a Cycles version in Lightwave would be capable of that as well?

Using VPR in lightwave frustrateds me quite often just because I do not even dare to switch windows while doing a renderer, thus locking up the computer and I have to go away from it completly, had I the option of pausing, I could do that while checking something else on the computer or on the internet. and then just continue without loosing rendertime...as it is now I have to restart the render in a case where it is interfered with other computer processes, I do not have to worry about that when using blender and cycles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    If Cycles is coming to Lightwave, you guys are in for a treat: I just tested the BMW scene in the latest Blender 2.8 and 2.81 alpha.

In the previous 2.79b version it takes 3m:10s to finish rendering. In the latest 2.81 build it takes

1m:33s

Woaat?! I could not believe these numbers, so I double checked. It's as if my machine runs a second gtx1080! I think I read somewhere that the first E-Cycles patches are part of 2.8 (which renders the scene at 1m:35s.

Anyway, let's hope 3Dslider is taking advantage of the latest Cycles patches.

I havenīt installed the latest version..with E-cycles?
    I wonder, could you compare volumetric rendering in the viewport render preview display..if it has become much faster than cycles volumetric render in 2.73?

To note, I still get a general feelling that Lightwave CPU-VPR is rendering itīs primitive volumetrics faster than (not VDB nor TFD) blenders GPU based rendering of volumetric meshes, at least when I try with a setup that is ort of similar to the primitive volumetrics (clouds) but I can not say for sure really, this pertains only to that kind of volumetrics..and not really for the fluid volumetrics, the amount of nodes and noises may in the end determine how fast it renders in blender cycles.

Edit..being funny.

Maybe a special dedicated name for cycles in Lightwave.. in in the times of environmental thinking and introducing something new but based on something old to Lightwave.
    Re-Cycle for Lightwave?

To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using LightWave. Fprime back in the day like Prometheus suggested, now a lot of people have gone to Octane. Modeler has relied upon the amazing work that Victor has done with LWCAD, the work from third powers plugins and if you're doing any type of UV's in Modeler, you were or are still using PLG or have gone to Rizom. And the last few years, a lot of functionality was added by Oliver's OD toolset which adds a lot of needed functionality. And this is nothing new, people used to depend on Worley plugins much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using LightWave. Fprime back in the day like Prometheus suggested, now a lot of people have gone to Octane. Modeler has relied upon the amazing work that Victor has done with LWCAD, the work from third powers plugins and if you're doing any type of UV's in Modeler, you were or are still using PLG or have gone to Rizom. And the last few years, a lot of functionality was added by Oliver's OD toolset which adds a lot of needed functionality. And this is nothing new, people used to depend on Worley plugins much the same.
    I donīt have octane.
    I donīt have lw cad.
    I do not use the OD toolset, the only thing I have installed from him is OD copy and paste for blender and Lightwave, but I will look in to his other tools later, same goes for lw cad..

But for me the main frustrations (for me) needs to be resolved before I invest in more third party tools, that is the Render speed especially on fiberfx..and fireflies on glossy PBR materials.

I kept on..and keep on using Lightwave (so far)

Some people Always used third party...some didnīt..some do ...some donīt.

Where would be 3dmax now without Vray?
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Free renderengine... 1k computers doing the network rendering without any additional license.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using LightWave.
    ok, let's do this now... To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶W̶a̶v̶e̶. 3DsMax.
    To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶W̶a̶v̶e̶. Blender.

To be fair, it wasn't third party that kept people using SoftIma.... oh...  oh...    

Free renderengine... 1k computers doing the network rendering without any additional license.
    I love Octane, but the license stuff is just One-More-Drag.
    Long live LightWave Render Engine + Cycles.   
    Last edited by erikals; 11-28-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

It sounds crazy, but there are so many reasons I love the LW renderer. Unlimited render nodes is brilliant. We've just moved to Arnold, thanks to Autodesk pulling their usual tricks, it costs us a fair amount of money to make sure our farm has a license... Plus the pain of making sure the renderer is updated on all the nodes, all the time.

LightWave being able to run LWSN from a network location, without having to copy or install on EVERY node is a huge reason for me! Save so much of my time and maintenence.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using LightWave.
    Rebel unit at ILM used LW for all shots for the digital version of R2D2 in the prequels, not because of third party, but because it came with the very first off-the-shelf implementation of HDRI lighting / GI that didn't require an army of coders to use. It was introduced in LW 6.0, back in 1999.

Dennis Muren (ILM) was, reportedly, amazed by the quality of work the VFX team did for BSG back in 2007, where Atmosphere (around 30 people using LW) in one month, delivered a bit over 4 minutes of CGI that, even today, looks great... they did win an Emmy for it... not because of third party though. The episode is Exodus, Part 2.

I can go on for quite some time, where LW was used to make both TV and Silver screen magic, in a time where "Third party" wasn't a coined term.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes lightwave (2X15.3) can still blaze through backplate hdri lit renders for comping shots and full sequences this put me ahead of our modo and c4d team numerous times.

from my tests, 11.5 is way faster than 2015 and uses a lot less ram
    ram usage in 2019 is also mental. any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    from my tests, 11.5 is way faster than 2015 and uses a lot less ram
    ram usage in 2019 is also mental. any ideas on that?
    Huh? I found 2015 to be way faster with gi shots, than 11.5 ..it was just a big problem with 2015.3 being the version most proned to crash for me in comparison to all the Lighwave versions I ever have used.

The new LW engine just needs a few nudges and polish and it'll be just fine, it isn't my primary renderer, but I actually use it a lot in production. Animated GI isn't a chore in the new engine... slow perhaps but it gets you the results needed.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 12-19-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    Yes lightwave (2X15.3) can still blaze through backplate hdri lit renders for comping shots and full sequences this put me ahead of our modo and c4d team numerous times.

Hot News In 3d Well done to positivley report it !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast