Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: To be fair ...

  1. #16
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    The new LW engine just needs a few nudges and polish and it'll be just fine, it isn't my primary renderer, but I actually use it a lot in production. Animated GI isn't a chore in the new engine... slow perhaps but it gets you the results needed.
    For stills, I could still use interpolated wich is way faster than brute force in 2019, but for animations..yes, the brute force is faster than earlier lightwave versions, though I still would go for the Cycles engine.
    Fiber fx is out of the question for both stills and animations now unfortunately..they need to adress that ASAP, it can not continue to be this slow.
    if you got octane..then I guess you will survive with FiberFX and TFD, for those tasks it seems itīs a must, and that is not a good legacy for out of the box Lightwave renderer.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    To be fair, it was always third party that kept people using LightWave. Fprime back in the day like Prometheus suggested, now a lot of people have gone to Octane. Modeler has relied upon the amazing work that Victor has done with LWCAD, the work from third powers plugins and if you're doing any type of UV's in Modeler, you were or are still using PLG or have gone to Rizom. And the last few years, a lot of functionality was added by Oliver's OD toolset which adds a lot of needed functionality. And this is nothing new, people used to depend on Worley plugins much the same.
    I totally agree even though not all of us use or need 3rd party tools like LWCAD most of us who rely on them to do certain kinds of production work rely heavily on them. As I have said many times in the past the only reason I continue to use Lightwave is LWCAD. It just saves so much time for the kind of work I do and the shortest easiest path to render from there is the Lightwave render engine.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    if you got octane..then I guess you will survive with FiberFX
    While the image will render faster, if its animated and needs to update you will still have issues with preprocessing. The fastest GPU in the world won't make render times faster in this case. Hair is hard to do fast.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

  4. #19
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,879
    To be fair...
    As I am more and more certain to ditch Mac OS on my next rig for Linux, I have been considering switching from LW to Blender as a general 3D app (along with a bunch of others app I am already using and will continue to use under Linux). If NT was able to solve the licensing issue preventing using LW under Wine, I would ask myself no question.
    BUT, I have come to the conclusion that I couldn't ditch LW, not only for OD_tools, but specifically for its new render engine, which I really enjoy using and helps me getting a specific style for my still illustrations (for animations, I often use Marmoset or Unreal).
    New volumetrics and VDB were a godsend for me, to the point I'm thinking about trying to make an AMD hackintosh mainly to keep LW (well, and FCP X, too).
    So yeah, a very different point of view from many people, here, but well, to each people his own needs and preferences.

  5. #20

    Hair is hard to do fast.
    in LightWave the slowest FiberFX bit is the antialiasing.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  6. #21
    Newbie Member slv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    paris_france
    Posts
    88
    to be fair…
    YEs _ lwcad Tools from Viktor and Octane render have save my production on lightwave, i am architect and my work is Always based on the work of light with photorealistic renderings.
    I am sad to see that there is very little effort made for us architect who use lightwave.
    Newtek did not take the turn and hadn't the vision of the importance of architectural visualization.
    Imagine the millions of architectural agencies that exist and who could be potential users.
    i try to be loyal to lightwave _ Otoy and V.Veliko helped me stay that way.
    Last edited by slv; 12-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.

  7. #22
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    While the image will render faster, if its animated and needs to update you will still have issues with preprocessing. The fastest GPU in the world won't make render times faster in this case. Hair is hard to do fast.
    Honestly, I havenīt tried animated sequences with hair in blender yet, I know it knocks the socks of Lightwave for stills anyway with GPU, and it is still faster with cpu than fiberfx in Lightwave, octane for Lightwave I havenīt tried.

    I will have to check on how blender hair works out animated, though I am still busy figuring out still images to some degree, just recently noticed some tips for getting better looking hair in blender, and now it is about repeating and repeating to make sure it settles, and then I need another yet another step to reach level of knowledge for the styling part.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    to be fair…
    YEs _ lwcad Tools from Viktor and Octane render have save my production on lightwave, i am architect and my work is Always based on the work of light with photorealistic renderings.
    I am sad to see that there is very little effort made for us architect who use lightwave.
    Newtek did not take the turn and hadn't the vision of the importance of architectural visualization.
    Imagine the millions of architectural agencies that exist and who could be potential users.
    i try to be loyal to lightwave _ Otoy and V.Veliko helped me stay that way.
    I think Lightwave combined with LWCAD is by far the best tool for modeling Arch Viz and also think it could be marketing more to that market.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  9. #24
    Top Dog
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I think Lightwave combined with LWCAD is by far the best tool for modeling Arch Viz and also think it could be marketing more to that market.
    Not a working architect, but I do arch viz-ish work. I do find the LWCAD+LW (+now Octane) a quick and easy workflow for my visualizations. I wish there was a feature/plug-in that could render mechanical drawing measurements. I have seen somewhere in the forums that is something on Viktor's wish list. That would make my life a whole lot easier! Then my other wish, because I have moved to Octane, is that Otoy would provide an easier way to render edges. I like how LW has made this better in the last few versions, but I can't take advantage of that unless I start to composite LW renders (or Octane toon renders) with Octane.

  10. #25
    Registered User 3dhotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Hot News In 3d Well done to positivley report it !
    for example on my 6core i7 laptop 2X15.3 at 8.8secs with a thread ripper this should be instant.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dodge 8.8sec.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	146463

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I think Lightwave combined with LWCAD is by far the best tool for modeling Arch Viz and also think it could be marketing more to that market.
    Maybe because that's just the platform you know and you're used to. There are ArchViz addons for other software that work better then LWCAD.

    Take for example Bevels, other ArchViz Stairs and other objects offer perfect parametric Bevels which are important for realistic results. LWCAD stairs don't work well with Bevels (or at least not in an easy way I know).

    Where LWCAD is good over other ArchViz addons is Windows across wall edges, Shingles / Roofs as well as Fences.

    If you like LWCAD and want the best experience with it, believe me it works much better and non-destructive in the other two software.

    Even tough I have the newest LWCAD for LW, I hardly ever use it. The 3rd Powers Modeler addons are very weak compared to other software standard tools like Booleans, Heatshrink or Sculpting. For hard surface modeling, there are so many new modeler software and addons out that operate on another level.

    LW is great fun for me in Layout, nodal displacements, nodal and layered shading, VPR and new volumetrics. Good works import and export / exchange with other apps via FBX and VDB in newer versions. Alembic still broken, which I hope NewTek has fixed in the new version. Also native Substance support should be included but for that I use OD Substance Reader which works fine.

    The db&w qckPck and OD Workspaces, OD Pie Menu and OD Uberpass improve the LW Layout experience alot. For text, now there is at least the True Text plugin.

    For Character Animation, Rhiggit Pro and 3rd Powers PaintWeight are essential Layout addons.

    The ideal enhancements for me in LW2020 would be basic modeling tools in Layout (Poly / Edge / Point Mode with Transform / Bevel / Knife / Edge Slide), good procedural Arrays and Booleans, VDB and UI improvements.
    VDB ideally with its own CSG Stack like other software; it's not usable in its current nodal form for complex VDB modeling. SDK that allows modeling addons in Layout.

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    706
    The 3rd powers tools aren’t intended as a replacement for sculpting. Lwbrush is for organically manipulating low/medium poly meshes in a naturalistic way. And for that it is a fabulous tool.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Maybe because that's just the platform you know and you're used to. There are ArchViz addons for other software that work better then LWCAD.

    Take for example Bevels, other ArchViz Stairs and other objects offer perfect parametric Bevels which are important for realistic results. LWCAD stairs don't work well with Bevels (or at least not in an easy way I know).

    Where LWCAD is good over other ArchViz addons is Windows across wall edges, Shingles / Roofs as well as Fences.

    If you like LWCAD and want the best experience with it, believe me it works much better and non-destructive in the other two software.
    I actually don't use any of those tools you mentioned at all. I think I have a fairly unique workflow that mostly uses the most basic and generic tools in LWCAD. I should really do a video sometime of how I use Lightwave and LWCAD tools together to model a house. I guess we all use the tools in software very differently depending on time constraints and requirements.

    Regarding bevels depending on the particulars and what your going for you can use the render time edge bevel node for some of that.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    The 3rd powers tools aren’t intended as a replacement for sculpting. Lwbrush is for organically manipulating low/medium poly meshes in a naturalistic way. And for that it is a fabulous tool.
    Agreed, looking at LWBrush und using it that way makes sense. For sculpting it is too slow and misses brushes and detail layers for example. But for modifying organic meshes, smooth brush etc it makes perfect sense.

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I actually don't use any of those tools you mentioned at all. I think I have a fairly unique workflow that mostly uses the most basic and generic tools in LWCAD. I should really do a video sometime of how I use Lightwave and LWCAD tools together to model a house. I guess we all use the tools in software very differently depending on time constraints and requirements.

    Regarding bevels depending on the particulars and what your going for you can use the render time edge bevel node for some of that.
    Yes that makes sense. Correct, there's the new edge bevel node and smoothing groups in LW but I prefer having edges in geometry for more control. But thanks, completely forgot about that new feature, will try it out eventually.

    True, there are different ways how to achieve things in 3D software and not everybody's workflow and requirements are the same. LWCAD replaces a lot of native Modeler tools which are useful if you can live with the destructive workflow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •