Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4790K - 3950X speed comparison

First tests (Cinebench R15 and R20) show that the 3950X without any overclocking or driver update right after the Windows installation is about 4.7 to 4.8 faster then a i7 4790K (4C/8T) and about 3.2 times faster then a i7 5930K. (6C/12T).

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    First tests (Cinebench R15 and R20) show that the 3950X without any overclocking or driver update right after the Windows installation is about 4.7 to 4.8 faster then a i7 4790K (4C/8T) and about 3.2 times faster then a i7 5930K. (6C/12T).
    I've been rendering for about a week with a new 3950x chip dropped in an Asus Prime X370PRO motherboard as a replacement to my original generation RYZEN 1800x chip. No muss, no fuss, just a bios update before I did the replacment, and bam, I'm rendering 2.6 faster in LW than I was an hour before.

Along side it are my other two boxes; an overclocked 1700 and a Threadripper 1950X. The new 3950X is about 30% faster than the Threadripper 16 core.

I'm a pleased AMD customer at this point, as it's a real joy to see the third iteration of RYZEN chip work with that older chipset motherboard with little or no penalty. I haven't even tried to overclock yet, I might see what some modest boosts might do.

When the demand pricing on the 3950X drops back to actual retail I'll do the same replacement with the 1700 chip and be sporting 3 16 core machines. God knows LW now needs every bit of CPU you can give it...

Jim Arthurs

The new 3950X is about 30% faster than the Threadripper 16 core.
    i've looked at Cr15, and so far the test do hold up, yep, 30% faster there also...  
    https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_be...5_multi_core-8

as far as i know, 3950X / 3900X overclock works so-so.
    your 1700 chip however can be overclocked lots.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    I added the 1700 about six months after the 1800X launch purchase and discovered it was actually a "better" chip at half the cost, certainly the best value in that first RYZEN generation. It's currently overclocked well beyond where the 1800X was stable.

I've never wanted science projects where I eek out the last tiny bit of speed at the expense of extra heat and wattage, but it's always fun to take them up and see where they get to before dialing them back to 24/7 service levels.

Jim Arthurs

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

as far as i know, 3950X / 3900X overclock works so-so.
    I see no reason to extreme overclock this system but use the standard mainboard overclocking settings and the 3950X runs stable on all cores around 4.2 GHz with temperatures around 54 - 59 degrees under full load. Therefore I guess there is still potential for more. However higher temps, power consumption and less endurance are not worth overclocking for me.

Cinebench R20 around 9360 points with moderate ASUS mainboard settings (TPU I), around 9100 points with default ASUS settings. Didn't bother with TPU II as it's more then sufficient for me.

I'm very happy with this new machine - specially with air cooling - and will probably replace the other two workstations with AMD Ryzen chips at some point.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-06-2020 at 01:12 AM.

both 3950X / 3900X = Awesomeness!   
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hey Amerelium thanks again for the tip with the Noctua with the Ryzen 3950X! This cooler is huge, well designed, great quality and very flexible to use. I built my new machine today:

AMD Ryzen 3950X 16 Core / 32 Threads CPU
    ASUS STRIX ROG X570-E Mainboard
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W
    Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler
    64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    Geforce RTX 2070 Super GPU
    1 TB Samsung 970 Plus m.2 SSD

After I got all components I realized I should have gotten the low profile RAMs instead. Bummer, didn't even want any RGB nonsense but Corsair always work well for me and I didn't see the LP ones when I ordered. However I managed to replace the (optional) second Noctua CPU fan with a different one plus 3 variable case fans for good air flow.

The system works fine but haven't had time to test anything yet.

Since I already have two good dual GPU machines I won't add another GPU in this machine for now.

Looking forward to test LW and other applications soon!
    You need REALLY low profiled RAM to be able to use the optional fan. Was never an option for me, as I wanted low latency RAM. I just skipped it - all my benchmarking is done with just the middle fan mounted. I do not think the optional fan have that much of an effect anyway; methinks for it to do real work it would have had to have been mounted at the back, pulling air out of the sink, not the front pushing air into it. An there is no room for it there.

By the way: Ba aware that an M2 SSD disk uses up 4 PCI lanes. The X570 chipset has a few more lanes (4 or 8, information varies), so you should be good, but when I used an M2 as system disk on my 4790K setup, render times increased by a third - the disk was stealing lanes from the CPU. So I got rid of that thing.

For the same reason, I would never add a second GPU. It is not a harcore gaming rigg anyway. I run everything at max anyway now with my Pulse 5700 XT. Tested a RTX 2080 as well, on the 4790K rigg, ran everything at hundreds FPS.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

@Amerelium

Thanks! I really appreciate your post about your Noctua and Ryzen 3950X experience, otherwise I might have chosen the 3900X.

About the second cooler: Very important is a good overall airflow. I added a slightly smaller Antec fan instead of the second Noctua (which I used in the case instead). The high RAM modules have enough space that way.

Large tower with 1x front case cooler with air in, 2x CPU coolers and 2x rear coolers for air out. I may add another front cooler eventually.

I don't think the PCI-E lanes should have any impact on render times / CPU.

m.2 yes I think that takes away a bit from PCI-E but with 2x m.2 SSD Samsung EVO 1TB and 2TB plus 1x 2 TB SATA SSD and a RTX 2070 Super installed I don't see any issues.

I do GPU rendering with on another machine and dual RTX and a third workstation with dual GTX so I leave this one with single GPU for now.

My 3950X system runs quietly at 54-59 degrees under full load and scores between 8950 and 9360 points in Cinebench R20 depending on the Bios / TPU settings, so I'm very satisfied.

Geforce RTX 2070 Super GPU
    Sorry to sidetrack away from CPU discussions but which RTX 2070 Super GPU did you go with ? I'm still weighing up what to get to upgrade my LW PC and it would be nice to know exactly which cards people have gone with. Real world experience beats online benchmarks most days of the week
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Sorry to sidetrack away from CPU discussions but which RTX 2070 Super GPU did you go with ? I'm still weighing up what to get to upgrade my LW PC and it would be nice to know exactly which cards people have gone with. Real world experience beats online benchmarks most days of the week
    Hello Qexit, for the new machine I got a cheap and quiet KFA RTX 2070 Super. Works perfect. In the other ones I have mostly ASUS Strix cards.

Machine specs

Since Chris asked me via PM about the specs and post it in the forum here it is.

Chris' question was also about the RAM type. Now I know there are higher clocked and more expensive RAM modules but I'm happy with the ones I got.

Mind you I'm only a hobbyist and have no experience with more then 2 GPUs. However the machines I use are rock stable for long render sessions and run at slightly higher clocks with moderate temps.

For RAM I was always very satisfied with Corsair.

With other RAM like GSkill I was not so happy in the past.

So instead of this RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (4x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)

I should have gotten:
    Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)

(due to the height of the RGB RAM)

The specs for the CPU rendering machine are:

- CPU AMD Ryzen 3950X 16C/32T
    - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 (16.50cm), 2 fans included
    - Mainboard ASUS Rog Strix X570-E Gaming (AM4, AMD X570, ATX, features USB-C, Bluetooth and Wifi)
    - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
    - GPU KFA RTX 2070 Super (which was cheap and works silent)
    - PSU BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W
    - SSD 1x m.2 Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB
    - SSD 1x m.2 Samsung EVO 860 2TB
    - SSD 1x SATA Samsung QVO 2TB.

In the other machines similar Samsung SSDs and WD Red/Purple 8TB and 10TB disks.

In all machines I use BeQuiet or Corsair PSUs. Specially with BeQuiet Dark Power Pro I'm very satisfied.

For four machines (one for my son) I have the identical Antec big tower cases.

The specs for the GPU rendering workstation are:

- CPU Intel Core i7 5930 6C/12T
    - Cooler Alpenföhn (lets the CPU run at 4.2 GHz with full load)
    - Mainboard ASUS X99 (chipset that features 8 RAM slots)
    - Corsair 64GB DDR4 (8x 8GB, I think 2666)
    - GPU1 ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    - GPU2 RTX 2070 Standard (don't know what brand). I will most likely replace this with an ASUS, Gigabyte or KFA RTX 2080 Super.

The RTX 2070 Super models are similar to RTX 2080 Standard in performance and features and support NVLink which can combine GPU RAM if supported by the render engine.

In Redshift a second GPU doubles the performance. With 4 or more GPUs I heared that Octanes scales better but I never used it (or Arnold). E-Cycles on GPU is very fast too.

Note that I have no experience with more then 2 GPUs in one machine.

The specs for the 3rd (oldest) machine are:

- CPU Intel Core i7 4790 4GHz
    - Mainboard ASUS ROG
    - GPU ASUS Strix GF1080 GTX (previously dual ASUS Strix GF970 GTX)
    - RAM 32GB DDR3
    - SSD Samsung EVO 850 Pro, EVO 860 and QVO 860

But I decided to give that machine to my (11 years old) son and use his machine as server. Well most likely I'll replace that machine with another Ryzen some day

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you need more info!

Cheers,

Michael aka Marander

Edit: Chris also asked me about general specs for a cost effective GPU machine.

In general I would say Ryzen 3700X - 3900X (if possible with Noctua Cooler), ASUS or Gigabyte Board, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, Samsung m.2 SSD, 2x RTX 2070S (if possible identical ones from ASUS or Gigabyte beause these companies offer NVlink adapters). Good PSU with Gold or Platinum certification like BeQuiet Straight or Dark Power.

There are also interesting lower priced Intel Core i7 9xxx bundles around due to AMDs recent success.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-11-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Hello Qexit, for the new machine I got a cheap and quiet KFA RTX 2070 Super. Works perfect. In the other ones I have mostly ASUS Strix cards.
    Thanks for that and the full specs on your other machines Marander. I am also a hobbyist these days, so I'm trying to keep the costs down. My current LW PC is a refurbished Dell Precision T5810 that I picked up for peanuts (relatively speaking). £275 bought me a Quadro M4000 graphics card which happened to include the rest of the PC in the price I did then spend another £100 to bump the RAM up from 16GB to 48GB but still a bargain. As I type this, there is a Gigabyte RTX 2080 card available on Amazon for only a little bit more than an Asus RTX 2070 Super....decisions...decisions
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    As I type this, there is a Gigabyte RTX 2080 card available on Amazon for only a little bit more than an Asus RTX 2070 Super....decisions...decisions
    Welcome!

Haha yes tough decision... They are both about the same, the 2080 is maybe 5% faster. You're right, the 2080 Standard is also worth considering now with the reduced prices!

GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER – Turing, TU104, 12nm FinFET, 2560 CUDA Cores, 64 ROPs, 184 TMUs, 320 Tensor Cores, 40 RT Cores, 1770MHz Boost Clock, 8GB, GDDR6, 14GHz, 256-bit, 448GB/sec memory bandwidth.

GeForce RTX 2080 – Turing, TU104, 12nm FinFET, 2944 CUDA Cores, 96 ROPs, 184 TMUs, 368 Tensor Cores, 46 RT Cores, 1800MHz Boost Clock Founders Edition, 8GB, GDDR6, 14GHz, 256-bit, 448GB/sec memory bandwidth.

Since Chris asked me via PM about the specs and post it in the forum here it is...
    Awesome. Thank you!

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I have used Win10 a lot at work, never privately, and boy, it is REALLY a piece of s**t software. Tried Home edition first, which was a nightmare; basically no access to own system, really sluggish file access perfomance, horrible OpenGL performance in LW, and for some reason it changed - messed up - all my lights and cameras in my scenes. All the focal lengths set to 0mm, and zoom factors all over the place.
    Perhaps country & locales settings.. Saving with dot versus comma as decimal fraction separator..

You can easily test it by reading .lws in text editor and changing dot<->comma and reloading scene.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast