Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4790K - 3950X speed comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I think it was 4.2 GHz but my board is slightly slower clocking everything (like 3.79 GHz instead of 3.80). Used TPU II and stopped at 4.2. RAM is set manually at 3200 but I changed it to D. O. C. P (XMP) which improved speed alot on the 3900X so I will do this on the 3950X too.

I prefer having optimized standard bios settings where the CPU multiplicator adjusts automatically (and goes down to 2.2 GHZ in idle or up to 4.7 GHz for individual cores). Slower then then with fixed high clock speed but still great performance.

What do you think about variable vs fixed speed? Temp wise, both seems ok.

LW seems to prefer constant clocks over variable ones, but, I use Turbo Mode OC profile 3, and you outperformed me quite a bit - I never went beyond 9600 score doing that, with RAM set to D.O.C.P.

With profile 3 my cores max at just shy of 4,2 GHz, at temperatures at 75ish C.

Did you do anything manually with the core voltage

...also, keep in mind that Win10 is an unstable piece of **** software, and my scores / render times will vary quite a bit from one hour to the next. It is running so much junk in the background one never knows when it is working on something else. My Sleeper scene is now so large it is pushing my system memory to the limit; sometimes a render will cancel because I'm out of memory, but other times the same frame renders just fine.

I miss Win 7....
    - Ignorance is bliss...

...by they way, I keep reading about TPU I and II profiles - where do you access those? Is this something you find in the BIOS, or are we talking software tuning now?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    LW seems to prefer constant clocks over variable ones, but, I use Turbo Mode OC profile 3, and you outperformed me quite a bit - I never went beyond 9600 score doing that, with RAM set to D.O.C.P.

With profile 3 my cores max at just shy of 4,2 GHz, at temperatures at 75ish C.

Did you do anything manually with the core voltage

...also, keep in mind that Win10 is an unstable piece of **** software, and my scores / render times will vary quite a bit from one hour to the next. It is running so much junk in the background one never knows when it is working on something else. My Sleeper scene is now so large it is pushing my system memory to the limit; sometimes a render will cancel because I'm out of memory, but other times the same frame renders just fine.

I miss Win 7....

TPU I + II are the OC settings for ASUS boards (in BIOS or AISuite).

So I don't think it outperforms yours, just different labels / settings. Yes, I tried some voltage offset but in the 10k score it was just basic TPU tuning.

For Win10 stability, I can not relate to that, it's rock stable for me. I never had a Windows 10 bluescreen or any instability, only application crashes in rare occations. Actually most crashes I had were in LightWave, Vue and some in Vray beta.

Yes, Windows needs some tuning (disabling services, task scheduler, autostart, privacy settings etc.) but it has been a very good OS for me since many years (as was Win7).

TPU I + II are the OC settings for ASUS boards (in BIOS or AISuite).

So I don't think it outperforms yours, just different labels / settings. Yes, I tried some voltage offset but in the 10k score it was just basic TPU tuning.

For Win10 stability, I can not relate to that, it's rock stable for me. I never had a Windows 10 bluescreen or any instability, only application crashes in rare occations. Actually most crashes I had were in LightWave, Vue and some in Vray beta.

Yes, Windows needs some tuning (disabling services, task scheduler, autostart, privacy settings etc.) but it has been a very good OS for me since many years (as was Win7).
    Yeah I do not mean unstable as in crashes and misbehavior, just that performance varies as it always doing stuff on it's own in the background - you have 120-150 processes running at any time.
    When I am not setting core multipliers manually, I set the Performance Enhancer setting to Level 3 (OC) - which just enables Turbo Mode to be engaged for longer periods.

Can you point me to where you find the TPU I+II settings in the bios? I seem to be unable to locate it.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    That's a good score for a 3900X system with standard settings!
    Cheers... of course when I say "stock"... I'm talking the out of the box basic standards... XMP for ram at 3200, Precision Boost, etc... but no actual messing with multipliers/voltages. The 3950 was sure tempting... but I'm rarely gonna need that many cores so often, and given the price premium... the £/Core/GHz was def best on the 3900. It's hella fast comapred to the 6 core 3.3 it replaced, so I'm much chuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    performance varies as it always doing stuff on it's own in the background - you have 120-150 processes running at any time.
    You can strip down almost all of that stuff from win 10... as I have it done it's pretty steady and predictable, with little to no background rubbish running. With just the bare OS loaded and running I have it down to 1.8GB memory consumption, which is pretty light.

And while you may miss win 7... I miss win 2K... 59MB I had that using at base... best version of windows EVA imo.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Does VPR use all those Cores?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Does VPR use all those Cores?
    Sure.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Cheers... of course when I say "stock"... I'm talking the out of the box basic standards... XMP for ram at 3200, Precision Boost, etc... but no actual messing with multipliers/voltages. The 3950 was sure tempting... but I'm rarely gonna need that many cores so often, and given the price premium... the £/Core/GHz was def best on the 3900. It's hella fast comapred to the 6 core 3.3 it replaced, so I'm much chuffed.

You can strip down almost all of that stuff from win 10... as I have it done it's pretty steady and predictable, with little to no background rubbish running. With just the bare OS loaded and running I have it down to 1.8GB memory consumption, which is pretty light.

And while you may miss win 7... I miss win 2K... 59MB I had that using at base... best version of windows EVA imo.
    I have hacked Win10 to remove as much as possible - killing off processes with Group Policies, removed integrated bloat permanently with PowerShell - the absolute minimum amount of active processes now are 114 (then including task manager). And the fact that a LW render will finish in 10% less time after a reboot, even if the system is relatively fresh, says something.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

...so I managed to get a 10280 Cinebench score yesterday, in an interesting manner: I clocked the cores to 4.375 GHz, which meant I could not increase the voltage enough to make it stable without going too hot.

But then I switched to my Balanced power profile, which has max processor state 99% (to avoid annoying regular CPU spikes), and lo: it resulted in a better score than clocked to 4.35 GHz running at max.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234