Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAFA 2 - not yet...

this was quite good also >

update; to export the animation i noticed that a $300 3DXchange fbx plugin is needed. ouch!  
    main app is $150 iClone7. so a total of $450. a bit too much for some i'd suppose.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-26-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

and for the animators, both good tech and info >

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    Typically the main issue with things like these is the unnatural "stutter lip" effect, yet if you smooth things out too much you lose detail that's required to make it work. So, right now there are still some things you just have to hand-animate in terms of lip syncing, but the amount of that work is shrinking.
    I've always felt that way about auto-lipsync and mocapped lipsync in general. I still experiment with these type of tools from time to time but, to me, the lipsync never looks as good as keyframed lipsync and trying to fix the data is often more trouble than it's worth.

Right now I'm experimenting with the latest versions of Reallusion's iClone/Headshot for 3D and Cartoon Animator 4 for 2D. Some of the new tools will be incredibly useful in combination with other tools I use (I've been using iClone 7 with Pipeline to edit mocap from iPi Mocap for Lightwave for some time,) but I'm still skeptical that I'll get decent quality lip-sync from the face capture tech in each program. I guess we'll see.

One product Reallusion sells that I'm curious about is their Leap Motion plugin for capturing hand and forearm rotation capture.

Has anybody here used this? What do you think?

It's on sale now and the individual parts to add Leap Motion input seem reasonably priced ($100 for the Motion Live universal mocap plugin, $99 for the Leap Motion Profile, and about $150 for the device,) but added together along with iClone and Pipeline, it does get a bit expensive. Since I already owned iClone and Pipeline, I almost got the Leap Motion add-on the other day, but then I decided I have my hands full with too many tools to learn and projects to work on right now. Still curious about it though.

FWIW, there is also Bannaflak . Here is a test in Blender but the makers have tested and listed Lightwave.

FWIW, there is also Bannaflak
    Thanks, looks nice for quick stuff.  

[Leap] Has anybody here used this? What do you think?
    i haven't used it but I read yesterday that it had quite a few glitches and Jitter.
    i'm on the fence on that one...

- it cannot be attached to a mocap suit, making movement Very limited.
    - and if you could, you'd need two.
    i've seen VR experiments with them on a suit, but this is also limited
    so, again we see tech that is a bit 'meh'...  
    no winner, and no clear second place...
    not saying it is a hack, but it certainly comes with a percentage of "gatcha"

+need to hook up the Perception Neuron i bought years ago...  
    that's the best solution i guess, but costs $$
    Last edited by erikals; 12-27-2019 at 11:14 AM.

regarding hand mocap, making your own glove isn't that hard, if you have the time....  

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

i haven't used it but I read yesterday that it had quite a few glitches and Jitter.
    i'm on the fence on that one...

- it cannot be attached to a mocap suit, making movement Very limited.
    - and if you could, you'd need two.
    i've seen VR experiments with them on a suit, but this is also limited
    so, again we see tech that is a bit 'meh'...  
    no winner, and no clear second place...
    not saying it is a hack, but it certainly comes with a percentage of "gatcha"
    In the iClone demos I've seen, only a single Leap device is used, and it sits on the desk in front of the user as the user is seated; it's not attached to the body at all. I don't believe Leap Motion is meant to be attached to anything because the device is essentially a mouse alternative that tracks your hand movements and finger gestures to operate the computer.

The way it's used with iClone is it tracks your hand and forearm (wrist) rotations with Leap and re-targets that data to your character's body mocap data captured through other means (i.e., Perception suit, iPi Mocap Studio, etc.,) iClone has a pretty decent mocap editing toolset and it's designed to let you 'lego-construct' any captured motions coming from various sources. So in this case, the idea is you can replace existing forearms data with Leap Motion mocap capture. From the demos I've seen, you can even record new hand/finger capture interactively while character's body motion is in play in the program.

The iClone program actually does a whole lot more than that but it's always been the ability to edit imported iPi Mocap Studio data for use in LightWave that's my primary interest in this package.

Finger capture is one of the things iPi Mocap Studio lacks. I can capture wrist rotation in iPi Mocap Studio using PS Move and Switch JoyCons, but not fingers. I know the iPi devs got a Leap Motion to test a few years ago but they haven't released anything for it yet. I'm guessing they probably intended to create something like what Reallusion has created for iClone.

That said, I'm still on the fence about this device for hand/finger capture too. I'll post again about this if I decide to, uh, make the leap.

Bannaflak seems pretty neat!

BTW, I forgot to mention that I got the Kinect 2 capture plugin for iClone the other day. (It was on sale.) I'm not expecting anywhere near the accuracy of iPi Mocap Studio with multiple Kinect 2 sensors, but maybe it will be good for creating quick test data. Will post a video when I have anything to show.

Also, whenever I can get around to it, I'll post some iClone face capture tests too. (I only have the laptop webcam version though; don't own an iPhone X to use the phone's face tracking tech. The latter looks pretty good but I'm not buying a brand new phone just to do face capture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post

BTW, I forgot to mention that I got the Kinect 2 capture plugin for iClone the other day. (It was on sale.) I'm not expecting anywhere near the accuracy of iPi Mocap Studio with multiple Kinect 2 sensors, but maybe it will be good for creating quick test data. Will post a video when I have anything to show.

Also, whenever I can get around to it, I'll post some iClone face capture tests too. (I only have the laptop webcam version though; don't own an iPhone X to use the phone's face tracking tech. The latter looks pretty good but I'm not buying a brand new phone just to do face capture.)
    well i did.. i made some initial tests - with the FBX spitted out from iphone.. using FaceCap. It was good. FBX morph animation directly loads into MorphMixer .. so it is good.. I was gonna ask which facial capture tool for Iphone i should buy - ICLONE or FaceCap.. Did not try Iclone yet fully. May be i should just go to Face Cap..

The thing is i wanna also fix facial performance in TAFA - i have no idea how to match the morph names - etc.. I must make more test...

Greenlaw- i think technology of Iphone X-11 (i have 11 .. same sensor) is very cartoon friendly too .. THat is why i like it.. It is not like lifeless facial capture clones..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post

well i did.. i made some initial tests - with the FBX spitted out from iphone.. using FaceCap. It was good. FBX morph animation directly loads into MorphMixer .. so it is good.. I was gonna ask which facial capture tool for Iphone i should buy - ICLONE or FaceCap.. Did not try Iclone yet fully. May be i should just go to Face Cap..

The thing is i wanna also fix facial performance in TAFA - i have no idea how to match the morph names - etc.. I must make more test...

Greenlaw- i think technology of Iphone X-11 (i have 11 .. same sensor) is very cartoon friendly too .. THat is why i like it.. It is not like lifeless facial capture clones..

check video 7 - http://www.ta-animation.com/FA/tutorial1/index.htm
    i've also backed them up here > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rad...ew?usp=sharing

for fast morph split, buy TA tools
    https://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/ta-tools

Are the TA tools all up to date for LW2019 ?

Yes. . But 11.6 format

thanks erikals - you are an alive LWWIKI

not too far stretched from the truth perhaps...  

sometimes feel like a 24/7 test machine.    

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast