Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animals Render

Animals Render

Hi all, I wanted to show you my research into rendering animals, using FiberFX were needed. I'd really appreciate your critical feedback. Special thanks to Mauro Corveloni for his excellent FiberFX video tutorial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zzwauzVF0

sylvain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_TIGRE.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	980.2 KB 
ID:	146396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_HIPPO.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	961.1 KB 
ID:	146397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_girafes_SUN.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	838.7 KB 
ID:	146398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_ELEPHANTs.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	945.5 KB 
ID:	146399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tigre_02a.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	146400  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIRAFEs_02.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	146401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HIPPO.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	146402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELEPHANTs_01.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	146403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHINO_2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	146404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhino_zebre.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	146405  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_RHINO_ZEBRA.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	949.1 KB 
ID:	146406  
    Last edited by slv; 12-12-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Wow! Very nice.

They look fantastic to my eye. Using reality as the benchmark, maybe a couple of images could be picked on slightly, but overall they look very real and excellent to me.

I can only spot fibers on the tiger image, and while the actual fibers may look good, there is something not looking right in the lighting and the pose of it, especially the head looks weird.

I think I like the elefant image the best, but that is also a bit off I think, it kind of looks like an environment elephants are not usually habiting.

the giraffes could have looked great, but I do not see an uns of fibers on those, and the foreground mix with the background is quite a bit off.
    So while the focus may be on rendering animals, you may either just render the animals without any environment at all, if you do put it in to environment context, you would need to enhance that..I know, not easy, but once you add environment images ..it will unavoidable impact the actual item in focus as well.

The elefants looks like they talk a walk in some european countryside with snow, and the shadows shouldnīt be that sharp either.

so a lot of work on the actual environment would help I think, and perhaps getting a bit more of direct sulight in there if you can.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    I'd really appreciate your critical feedback.
    Ok, to improve a bit more:

1. They look like exact clones. The same patterns etc. That doesn't happen a lot in nature.

2. You might want to use action poses (colliding characters maybe) to add even more interest.

Thank's a lot for your fast look,
    Yes i need to make some maps "wrinkles" variation for elephant and surely make lower bump and displace, about the tiger , yes you are right Promotheus , now you said me , i think it's look like
    a giraffe head _ ah ah ah ..
    About the fur _ i learn only few days ago fiberFX , i need to play more with it for better adjusting it.
    For create various poses , i doesn't know what Tools to used in lw for easely play and create action.
    Thank you really for your critical feedback, it's essential for get better result.
    sylvain

Such images, such realism were the reason for me to learn as much as possible about 3D.
    And it motivates to see what is possible.

May I ask why you use octane?

And Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

Looks great.

The ground displacement looks weird to me, you could try increasing the resolution in the displacement node. Also the depth of field is a bit strong on the hippo render.

here some little update , i added more specular on skin and i reduce the depth of field effect on image for Hippo render.
    i Added a small effect skin variation map on elefant, changing too a little bit lighting mood.
    to kievi: why Octane! i loved Lightwave , but in Octane i found more flexibility for adjusting mood/ ambience in my render , and GI on interior is always perfect.

Name:	ELEPHANTs_02.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	146415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HIPPO_V2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	146416  

Very Impressive in places . Bon!

Quote Originally Posted by slv View Post
    here some little update , i added more specular on skin and i reduce the depth of field effect on image for Hippo render.
    i Added a small effect skin variation map on elefant, changing too a little bit lighting mood.
    to kievi: why Octane! i loved Lightwave , but in Octane i found more flexibility for adjusting mood/ ambience in my render , and GI on interior is always perfect.
    Looking better, For the elephant image though, I would suggest tone done the normal or bump for the skin, it is a bit too strong now.
    And for all your backdrop images, throw them away..and look for better ones, and particulary if you can get hdr images with just skies, do not use images with trees, add real 3d trees instead, and for the skies, look for hot pictures..meaning images that resembles warmer climate.

And for the shadows on the ground in the elephant image, even if it would be a very clear sky and strong sunlight, these shadows looks too sharp..but the backdrop is in fact a bit cloudy and shouldnīt have that strong ground shadows.
    and the sun color light on the elephant should pick up a little blue tinting from the sky color.

Pretty nice Sylvain. Encouraging for Fiber FX; I'll have to study Mauro's vid.

I'm curious; did these models start out as Daz assets?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Just seen this on the Otoy forum. Pretty good work !
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Smile

Hi _ yes you are right Prometheus, in fact i had two different hdr environnement connected , because in my few test i forget to disconnect one , so two sun was in conflict.
    So i delete all and rebuild with only one hdr and changed mood, there is still some improvement for skin , but the original map is not so good quality ( not appropriated for close view rendering) . You have good eyes

Name:	ELEPHANTs_03.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	146417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedScreenshot_elephants_V2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	146418  

The elephants' hide wrinkles in the images still look "too uniform" in application/strength, IMO. You need to use a texture to control their overall strength, as real elephants don't have uniformly deep wrinkles and texture all over their hides, it varies quite a bit by relative location (belly versus back, etc). Another thing I noticed visually right off the bat is the absence of hair on the elephants' hides, etc. Elephants have fine hair on their body hides, and often tufts/patches of thicker hair (particularly when younger).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast