Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know of a good secure .stl viewer?

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm home on holiday (unable to access my better equipped computer @ work) but still found some success in converting.

Prometheus, here are your very easily extracted U3D files and conversions:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rl?usp=sharing

A good chunk of the heavy lifting was done with PDFStreamDumper freeware from sandsprite.com. Once the stream was extracted, it was converted from U3D in SimLab Composer to OBJ and STL.

The TestShape PDF file uses PRC data, which I do not have time/tools to translate on my home computer (SimLab should have done it). However, it should be realized that PRC is not an inherently secure format. It is just a compressed format intended to efficiently share CAD data. It is based on an open standard which some CAD programs can open (often directly from the PDF file...without separate stream dumping). Example: https://www.prototechsolutions.com/p...rsion-library/

The TestShape PDF file had a "page extraction" restriction but the file was not password protected so it was simple to disable the restriction. Beware that had you used a password on the file, I would probably still be able to open with freeware PDF-password tools.

PDF is a crap format for security. It was designed for sharing.

Good Job there raymondtrace, shows how secure it was..and good to know in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Yep, I also was able to extract the prc data. It's just a matter of finding a converter now.

By the way Prometheus: thank you for that Designsparks tip to save 3d PDF files. I was looking for something like that.

And instead of the terrible Adobe reader, I would suggest PDF-XXhange Editor instead. The free version is far nicer than Adobe's reader, and also reads and displays 3d PDF files.
    I have mentioned designsparks and 3D pdf quite some time ago in various threads, to bad you missed it then until now.
    Designsparks is quite nice for simple constructions as well, you need to learn the push tool which is a combined fillet/rounder tool as well, all changes is parametric..so you can go in and enter a numeric value whenever you want for the rounding or other parameters, also has dimension tools that also can be numericly changed within the dimension to change scaling etc.

And you can convert from solid to mesh etc, and load and save obj or stl.
    It also has a nice cloning pattern tool..go check youtube vids for that.

I guess zipping and encrypting with some good encryption software is best, and provide a password for the client somehow, that isnīt as easy to crack as pdf passwords, though you would think adobe would provide a decent encryption method for the passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...though you would think adobe would provide a decent encryption method for the passwords.
    It doesn't matter if Adobe ever gets security in this 25+ year old technology right. This is still only casual security, like a cheap lock on a bicycle. The fault is that everything is packed into the file (security, CAD data, etc). Even if Adobe offers better password security, anybody could still run a brute force password exploit (easy with today's processors). It isn't like this web site or your bank's web site...where if you try a dozen different passwords, you get locked out.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

It doesn't matter if Adobe ever gets security in this 25+ year old technology right. This is still only casual security, like a cheap lock on a bicycle. The fault is that everything is packed into the file (security, CAD data, etc). Even if Adobe offers better password security, anybody could still run a brute force password exploit (easy with today's processors). It isn't like this web site or your bank's web site...where if you try a dozen different passwords, you get locked out.

So do you assert that for instance, a common portable USB drive with "secure" encryption...Today is not that hard to hack, like ..

"DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0
    Kingston's DataTravelerŪ Vault Privacy 3.0 USB Flash drive provides affordable enterprise-class security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption in XTS mode. It protects 100 percent of stored data and strengthens complex password protection with minimum requirements to prevent unauthorized access."

Or similar zip encryption with 256-bit AES encoding, or do you just refer to pdf files?

- - - Updated - - -

So do you assert that for instance, a common portable USB drive with "secure" encryption...Today is not that hard to hack, like ..

"DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0
    Kingston's DataTravelerŪ Vault Privacy 3.0 USB Flash drive provides affordable enterprise-class security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption in XTS mode. It protects 100 percent of stored data and strengthens complex password protection with minimum requirements to prevent unauthorized access."

Or similar zip encryption with 256-bit AES encoding, or do you just refer to pdf files?

Grr..those double posts, this site just hanged two times for me in a row, then automaticly yielding double post within the same post.

Hardware encryption like your USB drive or the iPhone is more difficult to crack because there is a layer (similar to a web site login) that limits the number of attempts. With a password protected zip or pdf file, you can just run a program to quickly try as many passwords as you want. There's no mechanism on these files to prevent you from testing billions of possible passwords.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12