Thread: VLC Plugin

Question VLC Plugin

Hi everyone (it's my first post on this forum)!
    Recent NDI Tools installations contains VLC plugin, which is working excellently. But there is no additional documentation on it, especially about its configuration and usage. Furthermore, I have found a licence file installed with plugin .dll, which contains GPL licence. If the plugin is really licensed on GPU, its source code should be offered, as the licence states.
    Where can I find more info about the plugin, and (maybe) it's source code?
    Kind regards,
    Jurek

https://www.videolan.org
    Go there as they are the source.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Really? Have you seen the NDI plugin sources there? Just checked their mirror source code repo on GitHub, the plugin isn't there. Only "regular" VLC plugins.
    Jurek

I expect the text file is an anomaly and shouldn't be included in the installation. AFAIK VLC plugins can be closed-source, as libVLC uses LGPL not GPL. The click-through licence terms in the NDI tools installation are the ones that actually apply.

Like you, I'm curious about configuration - it would be very useful to be able to specify the output name for VLC sources rather than having them as "VLX nnn".

@roddyp, I think you are right about the licensing. And the possibility of setting source name is first on my list, too. Second is to set it via command line.
    However, I don't see valid reason (from Newtek point of view) for closing the plugin sources, because it probably uses compiled NDI library (like i.e. Decklink plugin do).
    Last edited by jaskie; 12-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.