Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Fully Loaded Apple Mac Pro Will Cost You $52,600

A Fully Loaded Apple Mac Pro Will Cost You $52,600

Apparently 1/2 of that price will got the cost of memory..
    The Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR officially went on sale today, allowing us to answer the question that has been on everybody’s mind ever since Apple’s desktop powerhouse was announced: how much will it cost to buy a fully spec this monster out? The answer: a cool $52,600.

When Apple first announced the Mac Pro, the company only revealed the price of the base model, which was already somewhat … controversial… at $6,000 for an 8-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon W CPU, Radeon 580X GPU with 8GB of video memory, 32GB of ECC RAM, and a measly 256GB of SSD storage. But that is the proverbial tip of the ice berg.

Fully specced, the computer can handle a 2.6GHz 28-core Intel Xenon W processor with turbo boost up to 4.4GHz (+$7,000), a mind-blowing 1.5 terabytes of RAM (+$25,000), two Radeon Pro Vega II Duos with a combined 128GB of dedicated video memory (+$10,800), and up to 4TB of SSD storage (+$1,400). Oh, and let’s throw in the special Apple Afterburner accelerator card that’s capable of decoding up to 6.3 billion pixels per second (+$2,000), allowing you to play back three 8K ProRes RAW video streams simultaneously, and throw on some wheels (+400) to the frame.

https://petapixel.com/2019/12/10/a-f...F7VCSJUePNDLiU
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

April fools! That is hilarious!!!
    Tim Parsons

i need dollars. 

Last edited by erikals; 12-10-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

And yet there are people out there busily justifying the price to themselves
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Regardless of the price, as a long term Mac user I think it's a beautiful bit of kit. I'm at the stage where I will be buying a new rig very soon and if it wasn't for the limitation to AMD cards I'd be ordering one. Sadly it looks like I'm jumping into the realms of PC. I know it's the right thing to do but I will miss MacOS for sure.

Yes, expensive AF but no more than a similar spec Xeon workstation from DELL.

DELL
    Single Xeon 28-core platinum
    1,5 TB ram
    Dual Quadro RTX 8000 card
    2 x 2 TB M.2 PCIe SSD
    $77,885.71

And if you think Apple is crazy. Try to max out a Dell workstation.
    You will end up with a machine that cost more than $160,000.

With that said, I would rather buy a faster and less expensive AMD Threadripper machine than any Xeon based PC (or Mac) for 3D work.

Quote Originally Posted by petapixel.com
    ...base model...$6,000 for an 8-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon W CPU, Radeon 580X GPU with 8GB of video memory, 32GB of ECC RAM, and a measly 256GB of SSD storage...
    I'm currently moving from a "vintage" Xeon system to an AMD system with better specifications at half that Mac price. ...And I even gave up on the cheaper build-it-yourself route and configured @ Dell.

I should take the $3k I saved and invest in Apple stock. That's all that Apple is good for.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

The threadripper... starting with the 3950x sweet spot, also RTX cuda graphics

for future proof.

128Md ram + ssd drives & watercool where you can

Thanks for sharing that info.
    Cool numbers.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Moving to AMD for my next rig too, and most certainly quit using Mac OS (even if I would be ready to try the amd-hackintosh route just to see where it gets me). If LW would only work in Linux with wine (I mean, the licensing system), it would be instant Linux switch for me. Maybe using LW in a VM (and also Affinity designer & publisher).

I am sure they will sell a decent number of these monsters regardless of the price. My hope is that Apple having a legit high-end workstation presence again will get software companies to start putting actual effort into Mac versions of 3d tools. Hopefully even Mac users with more limited hardware budgets will see benefits in the next couple years in the form of better 3d software.

Hi Rob, I understand that its the last design Ive did before resigned from apple.

The case has been dubbed 'the cheesegrater', I understand.

You can get designer matching wheels for it @ $90.00 u.s. a EACH. lol.!

... and don't forget the Special Cleaning Cloth ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...-clean-2019-12
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Buy a high-end, server-hardware-equipped machine (what the MacPro is) from Dell or HP with similar specs, and you'll discover it sets you back about as much.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

yep... or build it yourself for $22,600 instead of going the $52,600 route.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast