Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Fully Loaded Apple Mac Pro Will Cost You $52,600

It certainly is a gorgeous piece of kit:

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/design/

Just for fun, I put together a fully specced out model (without any extra software) and here in the UK it comes to a cool £47,588...probably plus VAT @ 20%. I think I could manage the £588
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

If your on the regular site (not business), that will include vat.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Have you ever bought and built workstation or server hardware components?

Good luck finding 128GB ECC RAM modules or other Xeon W suitable components.

Do you have the slightest idea what these cost?
    sorry, i bow my head for having copied info from another website.

sorry, its Norwegian.

https://www.tek.no/nyheter/nyhet/i/A...-av-en-mac-pro

ah, the agony...

auto translate >

1874/5000
    The first, and most obvious, example we will highlight is what you will save if you choose to build a similar Windows machine yourself. Here there are huge sums to save and you also get many more cores and threads on the processor for a fraction of the price.

Just check out our (very unpretentious) specification list below:

Processor: Ryzen Threadripper 3970X (32 cores, 64 threads) - $ 2399
    Memory: 8 x 128 GB DDR4 2400 MHz Samsung ECC Memory - $ 10260
    Everything. memory: 8 x 32 GB DDR4 2133 MHz Kingson ECC memory - $ 3996
    Graphics: 2 x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Advanced - $2639
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme - $ 919
    Storage: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVME - $ 980
    Cabinet: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X - $ 189
    Power supply: ASUS ROG Thaor 1200W Platinum - $ 338
    Processor cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R - $ 125

Total price: $ 17852

Here, it is the memory that draws the most up, and if you choose to go for "only" 256 GB of memory instead of 1 TB, the price will drop to $ 115,87. In addition, if you can manage without ECC memory (ie ordinary DDR4 memory) then it will be further reduced.

With a saving of $ 39860 for the variant with 1 TB of memory, there is no reason to think that you can also do well with more storage than 4 TB, which at the time of writing is mostly Apple. A variant of 8 TB storage becomes available later, it says when you try to order the machine now.

For a professional machine, there is no denying that 8 TB is a bit small, and our Windows machine can easily be equipped with tens of TB without having to use external storage boxes. Since we have saved almost $ 40000, there is also plenty of room to clean up with both tens and maybe hundreds of TB with SSD storage.

!take the dollar conversion here with a hint of salt.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sorry, i bow my head for having copied info from another website.
    LOL comparing Apples and Oranges, and mixing that with false information. According to the spec sheet of that gamer motherboard it can hold max 256GB RAM.

ROG Zenith II Extreme
    AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors
    8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 4733(O.C)/4600(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4333(O.C.)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/3800(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    Quad Channel Memory Architecture

As far as I know, the Ryzen 9 memory controller even only supports 128GB, at least the 3900X.

How you can build a system like a fully equipped MacPro with these components and even save $30k ???

I have a couple of older Xeons but I don't see the reason for workstation / server tech for me as 3D hobbyist but will get a Threadripper system myself soon.

For someone working professionally in 3D and for users that want MacOS, the new MacPro is a great machine and there is no need for having it maxed out for many users.

Also I completely understand the love for MacOS and Apple hardware as I use a MacBook Pro myself, it's the nicest notebook I have, but not for 3D.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Hell if I know, i'm just quoting the site.

and that's partly why forums exists, so people can share information, and come up with the best / right info.

so, thanks for the info, some stand corrected.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    It certainly is a gorgeous piece of kit:

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/design/
    I disagree. The functionality is excellent, but the overall external design I don't like at all.

Now, as for the new Xbox X console? That design I do like. A lot. I might actually just get one to place on my desk for looks and play old xbox games.

And it's very affordable compared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tUqIHwHDEc

PS I feel so shallow. But I am really thinking about getting one just for the nice design.
    Last edited by Rayek; 12-14-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    An 8 core ‘trashcan’ Mac Pro in 2013 was approx $5499 (compared to $5999 for the new machine today).

All these comments keep pointing to a ‘maxed out’ spec, which like any manufacturer, will be massive......
    I always felt like that unit was "lip service", or a hollow gesture to the pro market. On the other hand the MacPro prior to that I always did (and still do) respect the design of. And part of that design was the idea that it was set up so that user could buy a bare-bones unit and upgrade it over time because the design was completely user friendly.

That was truly a gorgeous design with the end user in mind. I feel like a lot more thought went into that design than later units that seem to just want to have some sort of "wow" factor, and to me appear to be more flash over substance.

I completely agree....
    My machine is coming up to 10 years old, and still going strong
    Obviously not as fast as any latest pc/mac but still seems to get the job done...
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123