Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Fully Loaded Apple Mac Pro Will Cost You $52,600

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yep... or build it yourself for $22,600 instead of going the $52,600 route.
    Have you ever bought and built workstation or server hardware components?

Good luck finding 128GB ECC RAM modules or other Xeon W suitable components.

Do you have the slightest idea what these cost?
    Last edited by Marander; 12-13-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    ... and don't forget the Special Cleaning Cloth ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...-clean-2019-12

Thanks Ma3rk for reminding Me.

That's the knicker in taking the piss!

A cleaning cloth doh!

Lets face it, Apple's market is NOT us.!

It is for corporate (tax deductiable) showoff statements in high-end Media C.E.O's offices.

It's show-off Jewellery for certain Top Advertising Guys, T.V. Stations & L.A.Studio bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Have you ever bought and built workstation or server hardware components?

Good luck finding 128GB ECC RAM modules or other Xeon W suitable components.

Do you have the slightest idea what these cost?
    Sure, we have slight ideas about buying from Apple vs. building yourself.

For 1 stick of RAM...

Apple = $3000
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...ecc-memory-kit

Amazon = $1799
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Q7YDKL...sr=1-1-catcorr
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Sure, we have slight ideas about buying from Apple vs. building yourself.

For 1 stick of RAM...

Apple = $3000
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...ecc-memory-kit

Amazon = $1799
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Q7YDKL...sr=1-1-catcorr
    Well the Apple 12x128GB option is $25k, in Amazon $21.6k, a bit cheaper yes. But if I buy such an expensive machine I rather take the original ones and have guarantee for the whole system.

Still don't see how Erikals wants to build a whole system for that price of only the RAM.

I'm not saying I'll ever buy a MacPro but will build a new Threadripper machine myself soon (as all my workstations are custom built), but the idea of building a similar system like the fully optioned out MacPro for 30k less is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-13-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post

It is for corporate (tax deductiable) showoff statements in high-end Media C.E.O's offices.

It's show-off Jewellery for certain Top Advertising Guys, T.V. Stations & L.A.Studio bosses.
    It doesn't have to be for the bosses. If someone is running a Post facility and billing out hours for editing room or recording rooms, it can be "eye candy" to lure in potential clients. But yes, this unit is meant for the "Pro" market and would be deducted from taxes as a business expense. Anyone who is working out of their house and is also gaming on their system, probably isn't the target market for this unit. Some very successful freelancers may be able to justify this, but not your average Joe for sure.

I have mixed feelings about the unit. It is clearly outside the means of everyone who wants a serious machine, but it is a long overdue return to the Professional market that Apple has been ignoring/moving away from for the last 10 years. They phased out Shake (professional compositor), merged their Pro video editor with the consumer editor, got rid of their server platform, and 17" laptops,... all professional markets, because they were making more money off the their consumer level items. Profit over volume rather than margin. And from a business standpoint you can't blame them, but from an end user standpoint I can be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yep... or build it yourself for $22,600 instead of going the $52,600 route.
    You might want to check your numbers, esp. pricing for same number of equal-speed 128GB ECC RAM modules... and that the motherboard you're selecting actually supports that number and speed of ECC DIMMs.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

This thread seems to be turning into a ‘Mac’ haters discussion.........

As others have pointed out, a similar spec PC will cost the same.
    (Not all users have a need for Nvidia, or even cuda)
    Mac Pro’s have always been made with server grade components, which are generally more expensive.

If people don’t want it, they don’t buy it......move on.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

This machine sounds a lot like a computer version of the Bugatti Veyron. Without question, it is a remarkable piece of kit with an amazing spec but of little practical use to the vast majority of people who even understand what it is capable of. Who here could actually make use of 1.5 terrabytes of RAM in a single desktop PC ? Like the Veyron, Apple will probably be taking a financial hit on every top-end, fully kitted out Mac Pro they sell once you factor in the design, production and manufacturing costs for something with such a low potential number of sales.

Having said that, I will of course be placing an order for one.......once my numbers come up on the next £100+ million Euromillions Lottery
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

An 8 core ‘trashcan’ Mac Pro in 2013 was approx $5499 (compared to $5999 for the new machine today).

All these comments keep pointing to a ‘maxed out’ spec, which like any manufacturer, will be massive......
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    This thread seems to be turning into a ‘Mac’ haters discussion.........

As others have pointed out, a similar spec PC will cost the same.
    (Not all users have a need for Nvidia, or even cuda)
    Mac Pro’s have always been made with server grade components, which are generally more expensive.

If people don’t want it, they don’t buy it......move on.
    No haters...recent posts are just an apparent debate as to how much you can save by not getting a Mac. Similar server grade components don't need to cost this much, which is why Apple has such a small footprint (maybe just a toeprint) in the market. Apple doesn't even sell top of the line RAM. You can buy faster RAM elsewhere.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Price is not why apples footprint in the pro graphics market has shrunk. Lack of a viable pro machine is the reason, which this new Mac Pro might fix. Just look at the success of apples computers in the markets that it does have a viable product. Graphic design general purpose computing, particularly laptops. They may not have a majority share but they are very very successful and always grab a huge chunk of the premium end of the market. Which is enough to ensure that the Mac is well supported by software devs.

As for the Apple tax... it is what it is. You are paying for the design, a tightly integrated OS, the reputation for reliability (real or imagined), and the customer service. Sometimes this makes sense sometimes not.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 12-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Price is not why apples footprint in the pro graphics market has shrunk...
    Where is the data to support the belief in Mac market share shrinkage?

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...-200901-201911

The entire desktop market has slowed. That does not mean Apple is losing market share. Professional customers have still been buying viable Mac Pros for the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post

I must clarify this. I should have said 'this topped out model' I was referring to.....my Bad !

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Where is the data to support the belief in Mac market share shrinkage?

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...-200901-201911

The entire desktop market has slowed. That does not mean Apple is losing market share. Professional customers have still been buying viable Mac Pros for the past 3 years.
    I have no evidence. Merely anecdotal. Desktops are one thing. Apple is fine there with its iMacs and now iMac Pro’s, but I get the sense that workstations are another thing. The trash can was a zig where the industry zagged, and I don’t get the impression that it sold particularly well. I may be wrong, but the fact that the new Mac Pro is a completely different kind of machine tells me I’m not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast